Would you trade up to 5 for Kalil?

127 members have voted

1. 1. Trade to 5 for Kalil if he falls

• Trade Up!! (Likley cost is our first and second)
    • Take my chances at 10

1334412623[/url]' post='2436683']

Well, if that means you haven't convinced me to trade up to get an LT--then that's me.

My view is that there is no such thing as a "franchise LT". And of course no single drafted player will get us to the SB. But a top skill player in a position to score points will bring us closer to that goal than a single O-lineman. There is no evidence that a team with many needs taking an LT in the top 5 will have any improvement as a result. Recent history shows the opposite is true. You're argument otherwise is unconvincing, so don't blame my obstinance for your lack of a powerful argument.

Ali reference! Thumbs up! (whatever truculent means, if it's good, I'm that!)

If there's a chance to trade up and get him, then yes. I'm personally convinced we're very close to contending for a good while!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lines take 5 good players working together well. While LT is the position that requires the most one on one blocking against oppenents best player, takes 5 players working together to be good. If want to be using TE and RB's in passing game, better have good Tackles though.

Without good line play great QB's only look good and good ones look bad, running game is inconsistant and have trouble converting third downs. Unless have a Payton quaility at QB, your skill players dont get put into position to make very many plays. Most football games are still won and lost at line of scrimmage IMO.

While one star Lineman wont turn a bad offense into great one, one bad one can turn a good one into a bad one pretty easily. With what we have currently on our roster, either our LG will have to slide out to play tackle, weaking two positions, or someone more suited to play RT will have to play LT again. Either case means either RB or TE will have to help line on most passing plays, limiting the options on offense, and making it that much easier for defense.

Think its too high a price to pay to move up for LT, but think getting a capable one is extremely important if want to have a consistant offense in the NFL.

I will agree with your last sentence. Getting a competent LT is key. Bell was competent and no one was calling for a franchise LT last season through OCtober. Now we must trade up to get one. It's crazy. Competent line play made Fitz look good last year. I bet a second round LT could provide competent LT play and allow us to take a playmaker like Floyd at 10. We would be much better off. Again, Cleveland and Miami are still paying for the mistake of taking LTs in the top 5 while passing on Peterson and Ryan. I'm sure their GMs and coaching staff and scouts were ALL saying the same thing at the time: "a franchise LT will set this offensive line on a firm foundation for the next decade/protecting our mediocre QB's blind side is priority 1/it will open up our running game/etc/etc/etc......".

Well, the "next decade" is half over and those teams still are searching for offensive playmakers.

Yes as much as it would hurt to give up 10 and 41 but elite talent doesn't come around that often. Also you rarely get to get the best LT in the draft and for the price of your first and second you can get an anchor for your O-line? Yeah you do it.