Greg Williams ...caught on tape....

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It' men's FOOTBALL, the roughest sport in the world. A coach like that would fire me up in the locker and there would be a bloodbath on the field. We all love the big hits and it's been a part of this game forever. I'll bet my left nut these speeches have been going on for years in the NFL. Can you imagine what Ray Lewis says to his defense before they hit the field?

It amazes me to have hardcore football fans react like little girls to a speech like coach Williams. Why don't we turn the NFL into a girly girl sport before more NFL players get hurt. Geeezus, can we protect the QB's some more?

The NFL is badass and I love the big hits. Would like to see the Bills defense get more hardcore next year and start taking opposing players out of the game. I want our defense to be feared! :o)

"We need to put a !@#$ing lick on him right now"

Edited by Frez

Minus 10 times that in fines from the league & Suspension from the NFC Cahmpionship game. Not to mention you most likely don't knock the QB out of the game and rack up penalties all day while trying. Its NON SENSE

IF is the key.

Lol, It's scary that you actually believe what you are saying. GW flat out, in plain English, told his players to attack ACL's, try and create concussions, and attempt to injure in dog piles. Open and closed case. Players in the NFL aren't exactly geniuses, if the coach says to do something, they will try to do it. Especially young players trying to get or keep a job.

Why would injuring the other teams best players help your team win? Really? You can't figure that out? If the best players on the other team aren't playing on a rival (like the 49ers were to the Saints last year), your odds go up dramatically. A fine or penalty is a small price to pay, especially if you get a "bounty" for it.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Thurman Thomas tweeted this a little while ago, which I thought was both funny and awesome:

Thurman Thomas ‏ @thurmanthomas

I remember Greg Lloyd telling #12 b4 the game he was going to knock the **** out of him, and Jim saying, bring it MoFo.... Classic Jimbo

I would love Jim to be our owner for many reasons but none more than to hear him say those same words to Jerry Jones or Bob Kraft at an owner's meeting.

I would love Jim to be our owner for many reasons but none more than to hear him say those same words to Jerry Jones or Bob Kraft at an owner's meeting.

I love Kelly but google his restuarant. He still owes people money.

As for Gregg, I never liked him as a coach and this only seals it. I always had coaches tell us to play as physical as possible and to see some snot bubbles. They also told us that when we were in pile ons, to grab something and just twist. But the stuff Gregg says is just indefensible.

It' men's FOOTBALL, the roughest sport in the world. A coach like that would fire me up in the locker and there would be a bloodbath on the field. We all love the big hits and it's been a part of this game forever. I'll bet my left nut these speeches have been going on for years in the NFL. Can you imagine what Ray Lewis says to his defense before they hit the field?

It amazes me to have hardcore football fans react like little girls to a speech like coach Williams. Why don't we turn the NFL into a girly girl sport before more NFL players get hurt. Geeezus, can we protect the QB's some more?

The NFL is badass and I love the big hits. Would like to see the Bills defense get more hardcore next year and start taking opposing players out of the game. I want our defense to be feared! :o)

"We need to put a !@#$ing lick on him right now"

That is all well and good, but you NEVER tell your guys to destroy a guys ACL, to intentionally injure them etc. This is a concept that many still fail to understand.

That is all well and good, but you NEVER tell your guys to destroy a guys ACL, to intentionally injure them etc. This is a concept that many still fail to understand.

right but is making him human putting him on a cart, or is it making him watch the next time he gets the ball? i think the goal was make him scared to run after the catch, and if he got hurt - so be it, another one out of the way.

WOW... I cannot believe it... I don't respect that way of teaching at all... These are grown men's lives he's talking about... Take gore's head off, twist Vernon Davis's ankle and tear another guys ACL. Pretty F'ed up... I respect the decision Roger Goodell made... Punishment fits the crime...

I was a little skeptical about this whole thing, but damn, that's pretty bad. He'll never coach in the NFL again.

I still think Payton's suspension is far too severe and should be reduced.

I also don't think players should be punished for this beyond fines. They were simply doing what their boss told them to do. To refuse, is to lose a multi-million dollar a year job...

So if you got paid a million dollars you would go week to week injuring other guys that do the same job you do?

right but is making him human putting him on a cart, or is it making him watch the next time he gets the ball? i think the goal was make him scared to run after the catch, and if he got hurt - so be it, another one out of the way.

No, the goal for G. Williams was to have players injured. I love big hits and don't agree with the NFL's trend towards less big hits, but this crosses the line.

http://deadspin.com/5899396/kill-the-!@#$ing-head-gregg-williams-told-the-saints-to-destroy-49ers-brains

Some NSFW language in the article as it quotes the tape, but... i think its a good summation of where this is. the only thing i disagree with is i think the author crosses up the metaphor of the head being the best player of the team, and the head being a players actual head a few times. ive seen a hint of that on a few of the comments here too (or maybe i am missing it at times) - just something to think about. a few of greggs comments, by mixing a metaphor about heads with literal heads can leave some room for misinterpretation - a few times, frankly, im not positive which he is talking about. the in the piles touch the head, effect the head - obviously not going for concussions, so is he saying make sure you put your weight on those star players and make their days miserable (the teams head) or is it physically harass peoples heads. ive seen it read both ways (along with OMG he wants to concuss people in the pile and brain damage is bad, which is not how i think that section goes at all).

No, as far as I know, he does not. His company may owe money, but that is why you incorporate.

I love Kelly but google his restuarant. He still owes people money.

As for Gregg, I never liked him as a coach and this only seals it. I always had coaches tell us to play as physical as possible and to see some snot bubbles. They also told us that when we were in pile ons, to grab something and just twist. But the stuff Gregg says is just indefensible.

http://deadspin.com/5899396/kill-the-!@#$ing-head-gregg-williams-told-the-saints-to-destroy-49ers-brains

Some NSFW language in the article as it quotes the tape, but... i think its a good summation of where this is. the only thing i disagree with is i think the author crosses up the metaphor of the head being the best player of the team, and the head being a players actual head a few times. ive seen a hint of that on a few of the comments here too (or maybe i am missing it at times) - just something to think about. a few of greggs comments, by mixing a metaphor about heads with literal heads can leave some room for misinterpretation - a few times, frankly, im not positive which he is talking about. the in the piles touch the head, effect the head - obviously not going for concussions, so is he saying make sure you put your weight on those star players and make their days miserable (the teams head) or is it physically harass peoples heads. ive seen it read both ways (along with OMG he wants to concuss people in the pile and brain damage is bad, which is not how i think that section goes at all).

I'm curious. Did Gregg's graduated bonus scale (you know, the one that paid more or less depending on 'knockout' or 'cartoff') pay more for the metaphorical head or the literal head of a player?

GO BILLS!!!

What is unbelievable to me is the publics reaction to this whole situation. Greg Williams is motivating his team! The idea is to go out and win the game! In order to do that you have to physically out perform your opponent.

Did anyone on the Saints defense actually hit Alex Smith on the chin? Did someone on the Saints defense purposely snap Crabtrees's ACL? Do you think Greg Williams REALLY wants his players commiting huge penalties in a playoff game. Come On!

The idea of this game is to stop your opponent from scoring and score yourself. You do this within the rules because if you don't you make it harder on yourself. Greg Williams is trying to get something extra of his players here. He is saying things in this fashion that will get a response out of a 24 yr old muscle head. He wants to motivate but to think he wants them to break the rules of the game is retarded.

Not to mention this tape was grossly cut up and pasted into fashion that makes it seem 10 times worse than I'm sure it actually was. Now throw it up on the Yahoo front page, gain some clicks, Ad dollars, and ruin some lives. Thats America in 2012. An OVER REACTION!

Maybe Gregg Williams had his guys hit YOU in the head a couple of times if you think that audio was a "let's go win and be the better football team" speech... It was more of a "I'm tired of the Romans raping our women let's literally cut their heads off" speech...

Side note - Gregg Williams can definitely write for the Spartacus series next year being that he'll no longer work in the NFL...

I really don't mind a coach tell his guys to play hard or hit hard, but when you are telling guys to go for concussions, acl injuries ect. :thumbdown:

Exactly. Hit hard, over and over again. Make the QB flinch. But don't try to injure a player. Some knuckleheads like Williams either don't get the difference, or don't think they have a good enough team to beat the other teams starters. Either way, he's a coward and I won't miss him in the NFL.