Greg Williams ...caught on tape....

How many ACL's were snapped that day? How many times was Alex smith hit in the chin? If those players were supposed to take his words seriously then they failed miserably.

Never once said the Saints were not better off w/ Alex smith out of the game.

Wow, you are completely missing the point here. Greg Williams gave clear and specific instructions that players should injure their opponents. Whether you believe that's what he intended or not is moot. Whether the players actually followed through with his instructions or not is moot.

He told is his players to try and inflict injury via dirty hits, before, during, and after the play. There is nothing to discuss in this regard, it's fact, on tape.

If there is evidence that he was also paying "bounties" for inflicting these injuries, then how can you question whether he "really meant it" or not?

Your reasoning makes me think that you are the type of guy that believes 911 was just a big conspiracy, and that Elvis, Tupac, and Biggie are alive and partying on some secret island together... The facts are out, it is what it is, whether you believe it or not.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, you are completely missing the point here. Greg Williams gave clear and specific instructions that players should injure their opponents. Whether you believe that's what he intended or not is moot. Whether the players actually followed through with his instructions or not is moot.

He told is his players to try and inflict injury via dirty hits, before, during, and after the play. There is nothing to discuss in this regard, it's fact, on tape.

If there is evidence that he was also paying "bounties" for inflicting these injuries, then how can you question whether he "really meant it" or not?

Your reasoning makes me think that you are the type of guy that believes 911 was just a big conspiracy, and that Elvis, Tupac, and Biggie are alive and partying on some secret island together... The facts are out, it is what it is, whether you believe it or not.

you were spot on- right up to that 911 conspiracy comment

Yeah.

Eme actually thinks the video is of a "motivational speech," LOL.

http://thesaintsnation.com/2012-articles/april/saints-nation-sean-pamphilon-showbizman-with-increased-exposure.html'>http://thesaintsnation.com/2012-articles/april/saints-nation-sean-pamphilon-showbizman-with-increased-exposure.html

Curious to see if Steve Gleason sues him over releasing the tapes. Judge pretty much sums up how I feel - Gregg deserves people piling on but Sam is a dbag for how he went about this.

I posted this separately as I believe that Sean pamphilon illegally selling the tapes is a separate discussion from the contents - no? I guess it will be merged. These posts speak zero to Gregg Williams though.

Here's Florios take:

http://thesaintsnation.com/2012-articles/april/saints-nation-sean-pamphilon-showbizman-with-increased-exposure.html

Edited by NoSaint

Chidi Ahanotu has an interesting take on Williams.

link

Specific to his first comments about Greg(g) Williams being soft, I always felt that Williams was trying to figure out who he was when he was in Buffalo.

Everyone remembers the megaphone wake-up call incident on the first morning of training camp. But then you would see Williams on the sidelines during games and he seemed almost placid… even too calm for an NFL Head Coach.

Yeah I think Ahanotu's theory sounds about right…. Williams lost his compass pretty early and morphed in a direction he felt he had to go to keep his career going.

During this whole discussion no one has brought up the Sean Taylor incident where in the first game without Taylor (and against the Bills), Williams made the decision to start the game with only 10 defensive players on the field… a tribute to Taylor but also a move that he did not inform Head Coach Joe Gibbs that he was gonna do.

Gibbs was too classy to make an issue of it (plus he had other issues after the game) but that action by Williams, specifically not telling his boss, always struck me as some kind of indicator of Williams' character.

I was also struck by the fact that Williams had pretty much zero playing career to speak of and then later on seemed to overproject himself from a personality standpoint… kind of like Tod(d) Haley did in Kansas City.

It's easy to criticize Williams at this moment in his life but I have to say again that I never liked him and was never convinced of his abilities.

It's amazing to me that Sean Payton and Jeff Fisher have regarded him so highly.

Specific to his first comments about Greg(g) Williams being soft, I always felt that Williams was trying to figure out who he was when he was in Buffalo.

I was also struck by the fact that Williams had pretty much zero playing career to speak of and then later on seemed to overproject himself from a personality standpoint… kind of like Tod(d) Haley did in Kansas City.

It's easy to criticize Williams at this moment in his life but I have to say again that I never liked him and was never convinced of his abilities.

It's amazing to me that Sean Payton and Jeff Fisher have regarded him so highly.

this

Did Williams have ANY playing career? His bio's I've found online make no mention of playing anywhere at any level. They all start with him as a HS coach. He certainly came off as a guy who was compensating for lack of background with a lot of bluster and flase bravado - pretty much your stereotypical bully.

Everyone remembers the megaphone wake-up call incident on the first morning of training camp. But then you would see Williams on the sidelines during games and he seemed almost placid… even too calm for an NFL Head Coach.

Yeah I think Ahanotu's theory sounds about right…. Williams lost his compass pretty early and morphed in a direction he felt he had to go to keep his career going.

During this whole discussion no one has brought up the Sean Taylor incident where in the first game without Taylor (and against the Bills), Williams made the decision to start the game with only 10 defensive players on the field… a tribute to Taylor but also a move that he did not inform Head Coach Joe Gibbs that he was gonna do.

Gibbs was too classy to make an issue of it (plus he had other issues after the game) but that action by Williams, specifically not telling his boss, always struck me as some kind of indicator of Williams' character.

I wouldn't say SP has. He was desperate for a defense and Gregg was the best available guy. Killed the interview, just like here in buff. SP went all in and told loomis to do whatever it takes. Allegedly the relationship soured very early in 2010 once the super bowl shine wore off. Gregg took his F you clause very serious once he got the ring.

I wouldn't say SP has. He was desperate for a defense and Gregg was the best available guy. Killed the interview, just like here in buff. SP went all in and told loomis to do whatever it takes. Allegedly the relationship soured very early in 2010 once the super bowl shine wore off. Gregg took his F you clause very serious once he got the ring.

Clearly though, Payton held Williams in high esteem initially.

When Payton forfeited $250,000 of his own salary to give to Williams to sign on as DC, that says it all right there.

Clearly though, Payton held Williams in high esteem initially.

When Payton forfeited $250,000 of his own salary to give to Williams to sign on as DC, that says it all right there.

I agree. But to say he regarded his defenses vs regarded the man could be very different statements. Remember this was a team with an all time great offense coming off 7-9 and 8-8 seasons. He went out and got the highest rated guy on the market but prior to that interview I believe his only ties were purely film not personal.

He was hired by tons of teams. Fisher is the only I know offhand that has extended or promoted or maintained any relationship past a first contract in over a decade

I think the Gregg Williams story/psych breakdown is quite interesting as it slowly comes out.

Edited by NoSaint

How many ACL's were snapped that day? How many times was Alex smith hit in the chin? If those players were supposed to take his words seriously then they failed miserably.

Never once said the Saints were not better off w/ Alex smith out of the game.

So putting bounties out on players is okay...as long as no one collects them?

Isn't it convenient that the Gregg Williams audio was released the very day that Roger Goodell was to review the Saints suspensions for the bounty program? Almost like he needed to validate his reasons to the public why he won't reduce their punishments. Does he really need to?

Who cares Greg is done, you reap what you sow.