Greg Williams ...caught on tape....

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is unbelievable to me is the publics reaction to this whole situation. Greg Williams is motivating his team! The idea is to go out and win the game! In order to do that you have to physically out perform your opponent.

Did anyone on the Saints defense actually hit Alex Smith on the chin? Did someone on the Saints defense purposely snap Crabtrees's ACL? Do you think Greg Williams REALLY wants his players commiting huge penalties in a playoff game. Come On!

The idea of this game is to stop your opponent from scoring and score yourself. You do this within the rules because if you don't you make it harder on yourself. Greg Williams is trying to get something extra of his players here. He is saying things in this fashion that will get a response out of a 24 yr old muscle head. He wants to motivate but to think he wants them to break the rules of the game is retarded.

Not to mention this tape was grossly cut up and pasted into fashion that makes it seem 10 times worse than I'm sure it actually was. Now throw it up on the Yahoo front page, gain some clicks, Ad dollars, and ruin some lives. Thats America in 2012. An OVER REACTION!

What is unbelievable to me is the publics reaction to this whole situation. Greg Williams is motivating his team! The idea is to go out and win the game! In order to do that you have to physically out perform your opponent.

Did anyone on the Saints defense actually hit Alex Smith on the chin? Did someone on the Saints defense purposely snap Crabtrees's ACL? Do you think Greg Williams REALLY wants his players commiting huge penalties in a playoff game. Come On!

The idea of this game is to stop your opponent from scoring and score yourself. You do this within the rules because if you don't you make it harder on yourself. Greg Williams is trying to get something extra of his players here. He is saying things in this fashion that will get a response out of a 24 yr old muscle head. He wants to motivate but to think he wants them to break the rules of the game is retarded.

Not to mention this tape was grossly cut up and pasted into fashion that makes it seem 10 times worse than I'm sure it actually was. Now throw it up on the Yahoo front page, gain some clicks, Ad dollars, and ruin some lives. Thats America in 2012. An OVER REACTION!

What part of reminding someone to hit the outside of the knee so the ACL goes seems motivational to you?

Baloney^^^^^^^^^^

Williams deserves all that he got! Football isn't about pre-meditated injury, and to try and paint this as a "play hard" "play tough" thing is disingenuious.

Tim-

I dislike it, but if anyone is surprised, they have been lying to themselves.

Cutoff the head and the body dies doesnt mean take a headshot and the player is out. Gregg openly used this phrasing with the media in 2009 - you rattle the best player and the team collapses.

Further, the Giants players openly admitted that they went after the 9ers receiver with concussion history the following week, again, in the media.

I dont think it belongs in the game, I am not arguing its ok - but all this has been wide open for all of you to see for years, why is it a shock now? Like i said, cutoff the head was a phrase used leading up to the 2009 superbowl IN INTERVIEWS. I only post on one other board, a saints one, and ive been complaining about them pushing the bounds of what happens in piles and playing on the edge for a few years, they do it, and its really no secret. lots of people do it.

A corner in the NFL running a 4.5 40 at a WR in an NFL playoff game is gonna stop and make sure he gets the outside of the knee?

Its the classic - let them know your there - make them think about their health and they wont think about the game, and make mistakes... that or the best player is off the field.

its the same reason fitz lied about the ribs, its why the giants lauded their efforts shaking up the 9ers punt returner, and its why the 9ers were out for blood in that very same game. whitner was trying to crush guys in that saints game to have the same effect.

we may not like it as fans, but its in the game and its not isolated. i dislike gregg immensely but im not going to pretend hes the only guy doing this - hes just the most arrogant.

Cutoff the head and the body dies doesnt mean take a headshot and the player is out. Gregg openly used this phrasing with the media in 2009 - you rattle the best player and the team collapses.

Further, the Giants players openly admitted that they went after the 9ers receiver with concussion history the following week, again, in the media.

I dont think it belongs in the game, I am not arguing its ok - but all this has been wide open for all of you to see for years, why is it a shock now? Like i said, cutoff the head was a phrase used leading up to the 2009 superbowl IN INTERVIEWS. I only post on one other board, a saints one, and ive been complaining about them pushing the bounds of what happens in piles and playing on the edge for a few years, they do it, and its really no secret. lots of people do it.

I agree on that part but he did kind of tell them to hit Gore's head while Gore was in the pile.

Baloney^^^^^^^^^^

Williams deserves all that he got! Football isn't about pre-meditated injury, and to try and paint this as a "play hard" "play tough" thing is disingenuious.

Tim-

The idea that he would want his players to injure others, take stupid penalties, and possibly get kicked out of games is disingenuious. Motivation is the only thing out of that speech that could be genuine.

Agreed. I didn't think the cut off the head part was bad at all. That was a metaphor. A couple things late about the acl and concussions though were just plain bad.

The idea that he would want his players to injure others, take stupid penalties, and possibly get kicked out of games is disingenuious. Motivation is the only thing out of that speech that could be genuine.

Seriously?

The guy reminded his players where to hit, to cause the most injury... what part of that is motivation?

How many motivational speeches have you attended in which anatomy lessons are given? How to position someone's ankle for prime injuring?

I agree on that part but he did kind of tell them to hit Gore's head while Gore was in the pile.

he did, and i think it speaks to the idea of always laying your body on the guy, and making his day miserable in that case, not flying in and going helmet to helmet to take him out. uncomfortable and concussed are different things in that example. just my take.

I think gregg earned his punishment easily. Im not trying to say hes without blame, but i think a lot of people jump on locker room conversations with dinner table ears. he probably even took it further than most, but i dont think hes waaaaaaay out in left field by himself on this one.

Seriously?

The guy reminded his players where to hit, to cause the most injury... what part of that is motivation?

What part of purposely injuring players makes any sense if the point is to win? What else could it be besides motivation?

How many motivational speeches have you attended in which anatomy lessons are given? How to position someone's ankle for prime injuring?

Haha. None. Im also not in the football business, boxing, wrestling, etc.