Satellite Radio

I've had it since Christmas 2002....

My current radio is a Sportster 4, so I can move it from vehicle to vehicle, I've bought most of mine direct from Sirius.

Installation I had a freebie install from Sirius, through Best Buy, so I'm not sure on the exact cost.

I have the monthly plan, it's about $15 total per month. You can get a cheaper rate if you pay 6 months or a year at a time.

http://www.siriusxm.com/whatissiriusxm

I'm thinking about putting satellite radio in my car (to replace the existing radio) and have three questions:

Where do you buy the satellite radio? (Online, retailer, etc.).

How much does it cost to buy the equipment and have it installed?

How much is the service per month?

Thx.

1. Of course - Best Buy (sorry Pooge)
  2. Install it yourself - kitty. It's really not that hard to do.
  3. Who knows? - Do an annual plan. It's about $xxx.xx

I would recommend trying out using your smart phone to listen to it for a month to see if it is something you'd be interested in.

I have a 2 Stiletto 100's with 2 more on standby when these fail, as well as one for parts. Both have lifetime subs back when they were 300/pc.

I would get a portable unit you can put in different vehicles, on a boombox, or house. The Sportsters are top of the line, or were. I amm not sure about the new line of things since Sirius pwned XM. You can buy online with as good of deals as in the stores. Installing it yourself is an option - it is not too difficult.

1333322751[/url]' post='2427867']

I would recommend trying out using your smart phone to listen to it for a month to see if it is something you'd be interested in.

I have a 2 Stiletto 100's with 2 more on standby when these fail, as well as one for parts. Both have lifetime subs back when they were 300/pc.

I would get a portable unit you can put in different vehicles, on a boombox, or house. The Sportsters are top of the line, or were. I amm not sure about the new line of things since Sirius pwned XM. You can buy online with as good of deals as in the stores. Installing it yourself is an option - it is not too difficult.

Those Stilettos are a pos. I have one and it's the only hardware anyone ever made to attempt to TiVo radio. Tree were some software apps that could do it but Sirius closed them down. The new devices are limited in their rules around recording. Jealous that you have extras even though the effing thing crashes hard once a month.

Those Stilettos are a pos. I have one and it's the only hardware anyone ever made to attempt to TiVo radio. Tree were some software apps that could do it but Sirius closed them down. The new devices are limited in their rules around recording. Jealous that you have extras even though the effing thing crashes hard once a month.

I have done a lot of work with them, they haven't crashed in long time.

I also have about 20 extra batteries. The big ones and little. :nana:

Also, if you have it for Stern, there are easier ways to listen to him other then Sirius...

I've had it since Christmas 2002....

My current radio is a Sportster 4, so I can move it from vehicle to vehicle, I've bought most of mine direct from Sirius.

Installation I had a freebie install from Sirius, through Best Buy, so I'm not sure on the exact cost.

I have the monthly plan, it's about $15 total per month. You can get a cheaper rate if you pay 6 months or a year at a time.

http://www.siriusxm.com/whatissiriusxm

Same here... I still use my original Sportster from 2002! :blush: :blush:

Back in the day... You could have bought a lifetime subscription and be killing them! :wallbash: :wallbash:

Also, if you have it for Stern, there are easier ways to listen to him other then Sirius...

I don't know you from Adam but this Stern thing seems well.... Like Anne in misery.

1333336098[/url]' post='2427992']

I don't need the batteries. I only the like the ability to record. But they are buggy little bastards.

I see some for sale on eBay. Will probably buy a second.

No idea what you mean by easier ways to listen in time delay. Not any legal ones I know of. And the new Sirius equipment is a kluge. They really are an awful company. Their hardware sucks. Their programming is largely crap but they do have a few talented people. Minus Stern, they are nothing.

Their programming is largely crap but they do have a few talented people. Minus Stern, they are nothing.

Minus Stern? I've listened before Stern, and I'll listen after Stern. They already had millions of listeners before he came on. Try listening to local radio for a week and see how fast you go running back to Sirius.

I got my subscription primarily because of stern when he signed on so naturally i am a bit biased towards stern. That said, there is soooooo much good stuff on sirius/xm...sundays i will sit on the deck and listen to the dead channels tales from the golden road, what a great program. I also get SU Football and Basketball, and Buffalo Bills football. That is all on top of sooooo many different musical choices to match my mood...my goodness, when howard goes it will be a big void, but no way in hell am i getting rid of sirius

Minus Stern? I've listened before Stern, and I'll listen after Stern. They already had millions of listeners before he came on. Try listening to local radio for a week and see how fast you go running back to Sirius.

Pre Stern they had 600,000 IIRC

1333320428[/url]' post='2427835']

I'm thinking about putting satellite radio in my car (to replace the existing radio) and have three questions:

Where do you buy the satellite radio? (Online, retailer, etc.).

How much does it cost to buy the equipment and have it installed?

How much is the service per month?

Thx.

Call NASA and ask if they have any satellites they want to sell.

Not sure how it will ever fit in your car. You may have to tie it to the roof.

I had Sirius before Stern too. If he leaves, I'll keep my 2 car subscriptions, but not my other subscriptions.

And Sirius is still a disastrous company. If you want music, you have a million sources. Sirius would be smart to position themselves as a hub for radio talent but they don't have many big draws.

I don't need the batteries. I only the like the ability to record. But they are buggy little bastards.

I see some for sale on eBay. Will probably buy a second.

No idea what you mean by easier ways to listen in time delay. Not any legal ones I know of. And the new Sirius equipment is a kluge. They really are an awful company. Their hardware sucks. Their programming is largely crap but they do have a few talented people. Minus Stern, they are nothing.

...and they have some of the worst outsourced customer service I have ever encountered. I hopped on Sirius for Stern, but eventually got tired of his amount of time off, and gave it up last year.

I bought a new Toyota in January. They provide free XM-Sirius for 3 months and then try to rope you in for like $160-180 per year i think. Like Directv i heard if you call and ask about promotions they will cut you a better deal. Well i called and told the lady i heard about a reduced rate promotion and she gave me a rate of $90 for the year (for basic service, not the "premium" channels). They will start my year once the free trial period ends. I thought $90 was reasonable and I don't care about Howard Stern. I like all the music, news and talk show channels and there's plenty of sports talk as well.

I have been a XM customer sinse 2003 i think? I love it. Was an idiot and did not pay for the lifetime subsciption when i had a chance early on. Believe for two cars we pay $17 a month. My radio is an old Roadie that I have had from day one, been installed in two cars..I had professionals put them in..like $75 dollars now but well worth it to me.

I do like the traffic as well. Nice to get the DC traffic when just leaving Richmond, or Philly traffic when in DC and heading north etc. I drive quite a bit..and the magic radio makes those trips not so unbearble.

Not sure if it's worth it, but we recently installed a receiver in my wife's car that not only handled Sirius, but also acted as Bluetooth for her cellphone and had an audio jack from her iPod. It obviously ran a little more, but California mandates handsfree and the Blue Tooth headsets weren't cutting it for her, so this really served multiple purposes and has proven to be worth every penny.