What are your biggest concerns about the Buffalo Bills?

Lets bring some pessimism back to these parts!

Since the Mario signing, and the Anderson signing to a lesser extent, I think it's safe to say that the overwhelming majority of us have at least allowed ourselves to imagine grabbing a 6 seed next season, and for one glorious weekend, being part of the NFL playoff conversation. It would definitely be fun, and there's little doubt in my mind it can happen. Hell, I've said it in many threads, and I'll say it again here: New England is old, and on a decline, despite making the super bowl. We could easily WIN the division outright next year, and host a playoff game (or 2?) at the Ralph.

But let's look deeper than that. What are you worried about with this club? And please - take the "They're going to move to LA" talk to another thread. Theyre not moving.

Personally, my biggest concern is at quarterback.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is amazing - my favorite player on the team by far, and the first professional athlete since John Starks of the 1998 New York Knicks that I can 100% root for and feel like he's not just doing it because "it's his job." He's a great underdog story, a good interview, seems like a funny guy, and the story that after home games he goes back to his house with his wife and grills with his neighbors is awesome, and shows why buffalo is the most bad ass team in the NFL.

But. In the back of my mind, im fairly certain that he is not a quarterback that can win a super bowl for this team. As hard as it is to admit, when you look at the list of super bowl winning quarterbacks in the league right now (the Mannings, Brady, Rothlisberger, Breese, et. al) Fitzpatricks name doesnt belong up there by a long shot.

With that being said, what really worries me is this: We have acquired the talent now to not be a perpetual 6-10, 7-9 team - but rather the perpetual 10-6, 11-5 team. The one that loses in heart breaking fashion in the divisional round, or maybe the conference finals if we have a lights out defense and amazing drafts the next 2 years. We won't be drafting in the top 3 for a LONG time. Essentially, we have absolutely no way to ever aquire an elite QB to go with this defense.

So my biggest concern - we are now the San Diego Chargers East. The team that looks great every offseason, but just can never. get. over. the. hump.

Edited by JohnnyGold

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first is the defense. I know mario and anderson should help but we couldnt stop anything running up the middle last year. I know wanny is a good 4-3 def coach but when was the last time any of his def units were in the top 15 of the league? I dont know if wanny has the smarts to come up with something new in disguising the blitz packages and adjusting mid game. Plus there comes the draft. I know the past two drafts have been really good for us but if nix and company go way off the board again this year at 10 i might just shoot myself. If they go tannehill or reach for a LT i think im going to go nuts. Realistically im looking for a winning season first before i think about winning the division and a playoff win or 2.

depth.

about the only unit deep enough to overcome some injuries is WR and RB. everywhere else we lack depth. yes, even on the DL. can change if troupe and carrington raise their game though.

but i have high hopes that chix will add serious depth and talent with the 10 picks they have now :)

So my biggest concern - we are now the San Diego Chargers East. The team that looks great every offseason, but just can never. get. over. the. hump.

Looks great every offseason?? The last time the Bills looked 'great' in the offseason was about 20 years ago. The Bills haven't been more than half way up the hump in this century.

But to answer your question, my biggest fear is the same as every year -- that they will screw up the draft. Assuming that doesn't happen and they draft someone solid, what I consider to be the biggest hole on the team that is likely to create major issues is at LT.

Fitz was fine last year until he lost 40% of his OL.

Lets bring some pessimism back to these parts!

Since the Mario signing, and the Anderson signing to a lesser extent, I think it's safe to say that the overwhelming majority of us have at least allowed ourselves to imagine grabbing a 6 seed next season, and for one glorious weekend, being part of the NFL playoff conversation. It would definitely be fun, and there's little doubt in my mind it can happen. Hell, I've said it in many threads, and I'll say it again here: New England is old, and on a decline, despite making the super bowl. We could easily WIN the division outright next year, and host a playoff game (or 2?) at the Ralph.

But let's look deeper than that. What are you worried about with this club? And please - take the "They're going to move to LA" talk to another thread. Theyre not moving.

Good question. My biggest concern is coaching on both sides of the ball.

On D, I like the off-season moves, I question how much and to what degree Wannstache was involved in last years abysmal D.

I am waiting until September when we can watch and learn.

On O, I worry about Gailey's game management and game planning. He seems as though he can come up with a killer, unstoppable game plan given extra time (KC, Washington).

I am worried that for all his reputation as an innovator, he is actually very repetitive and predictable in his offense and can't make mid-season or mid-game adjustments - that people "solved" us and that unlike the '9ers and Texans who went to the playoffs after adjusting for major injuries, Gailey didn't adjust and help us stop our "slide". We had a shaky OL, an injuried QB, a decimated WR corp, an emerging star RB and a strong FB and he'd still be throwing on 3rd and short.

I'm worried that he won't adjust to make the best use of the top tier talents we do have on the team - that would be FJ and CJ.

Second concern is somewhat ameliorated now: I've been worried that we don't have enough guys from winning teams to seed a winning culture. Dareus built up a sizable spare tire during the season. Our other DL look sloppy, not ripped like the best teams. I think now with Mario Williams and Anderson added to Barnett and Merriman we should have enough guys who know what it takes to move to the next level and can help imbue that in the rookies. We may still need that on offense, though. Fitz needs to push a bit harder to stay in shape during the season (and he needs to find a rib protector he can throw in).

I'm also still concerned about LT, LB, and WR but we'll see where we are after the draft.

Really? You think you need to ASK for pessimism around here? :doh:

There is that. I too hadn't noticed that pessimism had taken a break here.

First for me is the offense in general.

The defense should be able to hold their own this season.

But if Gailey comes out with his 5-wide short-slants thing again all season and fails to adapt to defenses figuring that out, the offense will sputter.

If Gailey truly is an offensive genius, this is the season we will see it.

Edited by CodeMonkey

first is the defense. I know mario and anderson should help but we couldnt stop anything running up the middle last year. I know wanny is a good 4-3 def coach but when was the last time any of his def units were in the top 15 of the league? I dont know if wanny has the smarts to come up with something new in disguising the blitz packages and adjusting mid game. Plus there comes the draft. I know the past two drafts have been really good for us but if nix and company go way off the board again this year at 10 i might just shoot myself. If they go tannehill or reach for a LT i think im going to go nuts. Realistically im looking for a winning season first before i think about winning the division and a playoff win or 2.

Wannstedt's last full year in the league was 2003. That year his Dolphins were the third ranked defense, fifth in stopping the rush and third in points allowed.

My biggest "concern" is one I won't see until game 4 or 5 of the coming year.

Will Gailey's offense evolve once the opposing teams have game tape?

I know injuries were no help, but I feel a big problem for the offense later in the season, especially during that series of blowouts, was that the offense game plan was predictable. The opposing defense knew exactly what was going to happen.

The trend started in the Cincinnati game last year. Cincy, as a benefit of being where they were in the schedule, had amassed enough game tape to spot trends.