Update: 3 winners in Mega Millions so far

crap...i got my tickets this morning...if you said that as of this morning...i would be very giddy right now....

As of last night, every possible combination of numbers has been selected, so someone will win the jackpot tonight.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

crap...i got my tickets this morning...if you said that as of this morning...i would be very giddy right now....

Just because you bought them this morning, it doesn't mean you don't have the winning numbers. It just means you'd have to share the jackpot.

Mega-long odds for winning record jackpot

The jackpot is so large, someone with enough money could theoretically buy up every possible number combination, thereby guaranteeing a winning ticket - but only if you suspended the laws of physics.

But there are too many limitations. First, if it takes five seconds to fill out each card, you'd need almost 28 years just to mark the bubbles on the game tickets. You'd also use up the national supply of special lottery paper and lottery-machine printing ink well before all your tickets could be printed out.

Poojer, they even answer your question....

So, if you buy 10 tickets filled out 10 different ways, your odds of winning the jackpot 10 in 176 million.

Mega-long odds for winning record jackpot

The jackpot is so large, someone with enough money could theoretically buy up every possible number combination, thereby guaranteeing a winning ticket - but only if you suspended the laws of physics.

But there are too many limitations. First, if it takes five seconds to fill out each card, you'd need almost 28 years just to mark the bubbles on the game tickets. You'd also use up the national supply of special lottery paper and lottery-machine printing ink well before all your tickets could be printed out.

Poojer, they even answer your question....

So, if you buy 10 tickets filled out 10 different ways, your odds of winning the jackpot 10 in 176 million.

And then if you wind up splitting the jackpot with a couple people you're quickly down a couple million dollars.

And then if you wind up splitting the jackpot with a couple people you're quickly down a couple million dollars.

They do mention something similar in the article.....

A $540 million jackpot, if taken as a $390 million lump sum and after federal tax withholding, works out to about $293 million. With the jackpot odds at 1 in 176 million, it would cost $176 million to buy up every combination. Under that scenario, the strategy would win $117 million - less if your state also withholds taxes.

With a jackpot this large, experts say, there also is a greater chance of multiple winners. If you have to share the jackpot with even one other winner, you've lost $30 million.

They do mention something similar in the article.....

A $540 million jackpot, if taken as a $390 million lump sum and after federal tax withholding, works out to about $293 million. With the jackpot odds at 1 in 176 million, it would cost $176 million to buy up every combination. Under that scenario, the strategy would win $117 million - less if your state also withholds taxes.

With a jackpot this large, experts say, there also is a greater chance of multiple winners. If you have to share the jackpot with even one other winner, you've lost $30 million.

I just scanned the story quickly and I don't think they mentioned one other thing. All of your other tickets will win the 2nd/3rd/etc... prizes. So it's what, 6 balls and then the mega ball? Right there you'll have 6 different tickets where you get the second prize by having all but one of the six numbers. So that would cut your losses a bit depending on what all of those other prizes pay out.

I just scanned the story quickly and I don't think they mentioned one other thing. All of your other tickets will win the 2nd/3rd/etc... prizes. So it's what, 6 balls and then the mega ball? Right there you'll have 6 different tickets where you get the second prize by having all but one of the six numbers. So that would cut your losses a bit depending on what all of those other prizes pay out.

2nd prize is 5 numbers, without the Mega Ball....

http://www.megamillions.com/howto/

There's 46 Mega Balls, so you would have 45 tickets with the right combo, but not the MB. At $250,000 for 2nd prize, times 45 tickets, that's a cool $11,250,000 before taxes. I don't remember my stats class enough to work out the other winning amounts.

First thing you do is see a lawyer and put the damn thing in some sort of trust. Because I can almost guaran-damn-tee, you win half a billion dollars, and crazy people will crawl out of nowhere to claim it.

Exactly. I have a friend, a husband of a former coworker, and his family is pretty damn rich. Like, have their names on a bunch of buildings at major Universities rich. But he's super down to earth, and a great guy. My first call would probably be to him, because his family and any lawyers/accountants they would recommend would definitely be well paid enough not to be out to scam anyone.

Anyway, F it. I threw down $20. Gotta be in it to win it.

Exactly. I have a friend, a husband of a former coworker, and his family is pretty damn rich. Like, have their names on a bunch of buildings at major Universities rich. But he's super down to earth, and a great guy. My first call would probably be to him, because his family and any lawyers/accountants they would recommend would definitely be well paid enough not to be out to scam anyone.

Anyway, F it. I threw down $20. Gotta be in it to win it.

When you're dealing with several hundred million you don't have to scam anyone.

Oh and when I win I'll buy the team and then sell them for a small profit to someone in LA. You'll hate me at first but eventually come to love me. Trust me.

Edited by Chef Jim

2nd prize is 5 numbers, without the Mega Ball....

http://www.megamillions.com/howto/

There's 46 Mega Balls, so you would have 45 tickets with the right combo, but not the MB. At $250,000 for 2nd prize, times 45 tickets, that's a cool $11,250,000 before taxes. I don't remember my stats class enough to work out the other winning amounts.

Ahhh, for whatever reason I was thinking this one had 6 numbers and THEN the money ball. That just shows how much I pay attention to this.

Just divide 175,711,536 by the number on the right side of the listed odds and that's how many of each of those prizes there are. I did it really quick so I'm sure I screwed up (lots of rounding), but I got something in the neighborhood of and additional $32 million won through all of the other prizes. Take away taxes and any of that other fun stuff and that disappears a bit.

I doubt they would tell us within the first 12 hours, I on the other hand was able to avoid almost all of the numbers, deftly picking between the winning numbers like a surgeon. Alas, I will be at work Monday :wallbash:

I doubt they would tell us within the first 12 hours, I on the other hand was able to avoid almost all of the numbers, deftly picking between the winning numbers like a surgeon. Alas, I will be at work Monday :wallbash:

Same thing, 1 number on a $5 ticket.