Update: 3 winners in Mega Millions so far

You should see the new USA Men's soccer jersey i just bought. I'll send you a picture of it and my MLS season tickets.

:P

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First thing you do is see a lawyer and put the damn thing in some sort of trust. Because I can almost guaran-damn-tee, you win half a billion dollars, and crazy people will crawl out of nowhere to claim it.

I've always thought that is a good idea, but isn't there some rule for MegMillions that you have to do the publicity appearances and all that as a condition of playing?

Lana just missed the cut at 51...sorry Lana :devil:

Lana is a personal friend, so I wouldn't count her in the top 50 TBD'ers. And the birthday thing is duly noted! :thumbsup:

You do realize that I post under 14 different names here and I'm pretty sure you like them all.

You do realize that I post under 14 different names here and I'm pretty sure you like them all.

unfortunately all 14 of them will probably be just as broke after Friday as they are today

Don't play birthdays...it's a non-random sample, and they don't go higher than 31, so they under-weight the higher numbers (unless you do some sort of math with them, in which case they're just a non-random sample, and a waste of time since random picks are easier).

And with that change you've increased your chances from 1:124123451235235 to 1:124123451235230 (not real numbers obviously). If you want to play birthdays I say go for it. Either way you're still throwing away your dollar.

If I win I'll give a million bucks to each of my top 50 favorite TBD'ers :thumbsup:

Remember who gave you Alvin Plantinga :D

And maybe I'll pick up a couple of tickets. I can throw away a few bucks. Never played the lotto before though.

And with that change you've increased your chances from 1:124123451235235 to 1:124123451235230 (not real numbers obviously). If you want to play birthdays I say go for it. Either way you're still throwing away your dollar.

Actually, you probably double them (roughly). Which is still ridiculous odds...but better.

Plus, since so many people play birthdays, you're less likely to share the pot between multiple winners. Better odds, more money.

I mean...it's still a tax on math idiots, but if you're dumb enough to play, you may as well be smart enough to maximize your return.

I've always thought that is a good idea, but isn't there some rule for MegMillions that you have to do the publicity appearances and all that as a condition of playing?

That doesn't mean you can't get legal protection first.

Yes, and that's why you show up for the press conference with half a law firm. You aren't required to turn in the ticket for a year, so you can certainly spend a couple days getting your Trust set up and Will amended.

Don't play birthdays...it's a non-random sample, and they don't go higher than 31, so they under-weight the higher numbers (unless you do some sort of math with them, in which case they're just a non-random sample, and a waste of time since random picks are easier).

These were the MM results a couple weeks ago....

01-04-06-11-14 Mega ball 30

First time I can recall seeing that many low numbers ever.

Actually, you probably double them (roughly). Which is still ridiculous odds...but better.

Plus, since so many people play birthdays, you're less likely to share the pot between multiple winners. Better odds, more money.

I mean...it's still a tax on math idiots, but if you're dumb enough to play, you may as well be smart enough to maximize your return.

A tax on math idiots, I love it. I really wish I had thought that one up because it's exactly how I feel about the subject. My dad's hooked on his numbers and on slot machines. My guess is he could probably have a pretty good car or two with the amount of money he's thrown into all of this. I guess that at least with the slot machines you get the entertainment of all the flashy lights, if you're into that kind of thing.

Before you do that you should get a new production studio for your web show. No offense but the current one looks like a garage with a banner.

Any advice on a good tri-caster?

all that stuff from tar Trek is fake. They're just props. Don't waste your half a billion on crap.

:lol: Well played

I think I'm bothered by the fact that I knew what device from Star Trek you were referring to...apparently my inner-nerd came out to play :unsure:

Edited by ajzepp

A tax on math idiots, I love it. I really wish I had thought that one up because it's exactly how I feel about the subject. My dad's hooked on his numbers and on slot machines. My guess is he could probably have a pretty good car or two with the amount of money he's thrown into all of this. I guess that at least with the slot machines you get the entertainment of all the flashy lights, if you're into that kind of thing.

I love the stories that run on the local news everytime the lotto gets big; "here's Mabel Jones, who's won $300,000 in lottery winnings over the past 20 years! Wow!"

No mention of the fact that Mabel would have twice that much if she had put her lotto money into an IRA over those same 30 years.

I love the stories that run on the local news everytime the lotto gets big; "here's Mabel Jones, who's won $300,000 in lottery winnings over the past 20 years! Wow!"

No mention of the fact that Mabel would have twice that much if she had put her lotto money into an IRA over those same 30 years.

This reminded me of a story. I was playing in a work golf tournament, and there was a hole in one prize of 1 Million dollars. Well, reading the fine print, it would be paid out of 40 years. After taxes we figured it would only get you about $12,500 a year. The next year, when I was running that same tournament, I got two hole in prizes of new cars for $300 less on the insurance cost than the guy paid for the $1M prize the year before.