Sabres put an a$$-whuppin' on the Caps

Hey I have a question about the Sabres.

I was listening to the Sabres/Wild game over the Internet this weekend.

At the beginning of the game, when it was time for the national anthem, they played both the US anthem AND the Canadien anthem.

Why would they play the Canadien one?

I've been out of the states for years now, but remember that they would only play the Canadien one if they were playing a team from there.

What gives??

Go Sabres!

At the beginning of the game, when it was time for the national anthem, they played both the US anthem AND the Canadien anthem.

I've been out of the states for years now, but remember that they would only play the Canadien one if they were playing a team from there.

What gives??

Go Sabres!

Started playing both regardless, because of the fact that the majority of the players in the league are from Canada.

Really??

Man, that sounds weird.

Do you remember when they started that?

What's next, the Russian, Swedish and Czech anthems too?

Go Sabres

Started playing both regardless, because of the fact that the majority of the players in the league are from Canada.

Really??

Man, that sounds weird.

Do you remember when they started that?

What's next, the Russian, Swedish and Czech anthems too?

Go Sabres

My father purchased season tickets for the 1971-1972 season(the year the roof was raised at The AUD) and had them for about 15 seasons... It was when I began going to Sabres games and when I became aware both national anthems were played...

Over time the percentage of NHL players from Canada has decreased as more Americans and Europeans have made it to the NHL.

I believe that the Sabres play both anthems because Buffalo is a border town and MANY hockey-mad fans and season ticket holders are from Canada.

great win... on the anthem, if you have the right singer the Canadian anthem sounds really nice.usually a big male opera singer

I am 50 and have followed the sabres since late 60's yep - they always sing them both

the Sabres singer is Doug Allen. He is a great singer!

best part about being at hte game - Random Bills chant's with the Shout song. awesome. section 428 rocked it

431 was all up in the Caps crease.

The Highlight was having 4 rows of Sabres fans sing "NaNa-Na-Na-Hey-Hey-hey-Goodbye" during the mass exodus of Crapital fans mid 3rd period.

It was glorious!

best part about being at hte game - Random Bills chant's with the Shout song. awesome. section 428 rocked it

The Highlight was having 4 rows of Sabres fans sing "NaNa-Na-Na-Hey-Hey-hey-Goodbye" during the mass exodus of Crapital fans mid 3rd period.

It was glorious!

What gives??

Go Sabres!

They always do it, if there is a Canadian opponent or not.

I think largely due to the fact that a lot of people from Canada go to the games.

Where's all the jackasses who kept calling for Miller's head? All he's done is go 14-1-3 in his last 18 games, and since the all-star break, he's carting a save % above .930, a GAA around 1.90, and 5 shutouts in 27 games.

The team is absolutely rolling right now. Outscoring their opponents 22-6 in their current 5 game winning streak. its been 3 weeks since they've lost in regulation. 21-63-82 have been almost unstoppable.

And the best part of the win? Golf Leafs Golf! Toronto was officially eliminated from playoff contention.

Edited by Ramius

It was glorious!

It was glorious!

As I said in another thread:

A native CNY'er, life long Bill's fan and DC Native/Caps season ticket holder. Much of the cheering was good natured and all in good fun as my Caps got destroyed, and it has never been so painful to hear "Let's Go Buffalo" in my life. That being said, I was outstandingly disappointed at how awful some of the taunts were coming out of Sabres' fans at Verizon last night. Yelling homophobic slurs @ gay fans, not cool. Rape jokes (yelled at Caps fans in the stands, including telling one they would get raped like the Caps did), low and really not befitting people who, I assume, are also part of the best football fan base that I know of. We have a lot of visiting fans in our section, and I am shocked at how embarrassed I was to be wearing my Bills hat last night, and just a terrible representation of upstate NY.

That said, y'all kicked our butts, and hopefully Ottawa keeps losing...

What gives??

Go Sabres!

Give it a couple years & it will be the Chinese national anthem !!!!!

Over time the percentage of NHL players from Canada has decreased as more Americans and Europeans have made it to the NHL.

I believe that the Sabres play both anthems because Buffalo is a border town and MANY hockey-mad fans and season ticket holders are from Canada.

Bingo. Most other places only play one or the other. I believe Toronto plays both as well (in opposite order though).

A native CNY'er, life long Bill's fan and DC Native/Caps season ticket holder. Much of the cheering was good natured and all in good fun as my Caps got destroyed, and it has never been so painful to hear "Let's Go Buffalo" in my life. That being said, I was outstandingly disappointed at how awful some of the taunts were coming out of Sabres' fans at Verizon last night. Yelling homophobic slurs @ gay fans, not cool. Rape jokes (yelled at Caps fans in the stands, including telling one they would get raped like the Caps did), low and really not befitting people who, I assume, are also part of the best football fan base that I know of. We have a lot of visiting fans in our section, and I am shocked at how embarrassed I was to be wearing my Bills hat last night, and just a terrible representation of upstate NY.

Yeah that's us. Raliegh fans hate us too.

How about some love for Darcy and Lindy? Fans wanted both of their heads on pikes before the trade deadline. Darcy robbed 'em blind getting a 1st for Gaustad (which everyone said couldn't happen) and getting Hodgson and Sulzer for Kassian amd Gragiani. Both players are big contributors to the surge.

PTR

You forgot the baby-eating.

:D

Where's all the jackasses who kept calling for Miller's head? All he's done is go 14-1-3 in his last 18 games, and since the all-star break, he's carting a save % above .930, a GAA around 1.90, and 5 shutouts in 27 games.

The team is absolutely rolling right now. Outscoring their opponents 22-6 in their current 5 game winning streak. its been 3 weeks since they've lost in regulation. 21-63-82 have been almost unstoppable.

And the best part of the win? Golf Leafs Golf! Toronto was officially eliminated from playoff contention.

Wait, so we're not running Miller out of town anymore? :blink: Well let me be the first to start the Mario Williams is a bust bandwagon after he doesn't get a sack in his first game of the preseason. :thumbsup:

And the biggest thing I like about this team is the young players. I loved the Goose trade because he was exactly what was wrong with this team. He let his best friend on the team get run over and did nothing. To get a first round pick for a soft, non scoring "defensive" center was amazing. And is there a bigger joke than the Maple Leafs? Great city but for as much as we complain about the Bills, Toronto is one of the biggest joke franchises in sports.

You forgot the baby-eating.

:D

No you're right, cause telling a young girl that she is going to get raped is totally appropriate. It isn't that you (being the fans that were around us), were just an embarrassment to people in general, let alone one of the best sports cities in the world. And of course if another teams fans came into The Ralph and acted that way, you would think it was funny too right?

Edited by garbag3man

No you're right, cause telling a young girl that she is going to get raped is totally appropriate. It isn't that you (being the fans that were around us), were just an embarrassment to people in general, let alone one of the best sports cities in the world. And of course if another teams fans came into The Ralph and acted that way, you would think it was funny too right?

It goes both ways.

The Caps fans slurred it up in my section.

Starting throwing food at a couple young South Buffalo Boys.

The Caps fans then walked down, invited the young men out in the hallway for some fisticuffs.

I don't think the Caps fans were prepared for the battle tested young South Buffalo Boys, because the Caps guys were the aggressor, threw the first punch, and lets just say they got finished in the end.

The difference is, if a visiting fan threatened to rape a Buffalo fan's wife or daughter, the visiting fan would likely not walk out of the arena on their own weight.

That being said, those Buffalo Boys were out of bounds with their comments. None the less the Capitals fans were not exactly gracious hosts last night especially when it was clear their sports team wasn't nearly as passionate about winning as the fans were.

Edited by Why So Serious?

It goes both ways.

The Caps fans slurred it up in my section.

Starting throwing food at a couple young South Buffalo Boys.

The Caps fans then walked down, invited the young men out in the hallway for some fisticuffs.

I don't think the Caps fans were prepared for the battle tested young South Buffalo Boys, because the Caps guys were the aggressor, threw the first punch, and lets just say they got finished in the end.

The difference is, if a visiting fan threatened to rape a Buffalo fan's wife or daughter, the visiting fan would likely not walk out of the arena on their own weight.

That being said, those Buffalo Boys were out of bounds with their comments. None the less the Capitals fans were not exactly gracious hosts last night especially when it was clear their sports team wasn't nearly as passionate about winning as the fans were.

That is fair, and in my six years as a Season ticket holder, I have gotten in my fair share of scuffles with Caps fans who were being a-holes to visiting fans. Personally, I don't think there is a place for it. I am sorry that you weren't in our section where we are a fun loving bunch and we are usually very welcoming (most of us are three large blocks of CNY natives).

I have said my peace, and can now go back to being a proud Buffalo Bills fan, however I was simply shocked, and felt I needed to say something, at how not a single Sabres' fan in my section took issue with telling someone they were going to get raped. I would have gotten into it with those guys, and they wouldn't have left, but I'm not really one for getting in a fight with my fiancee right there. I was taken aback and I guess, knowing how we pride ourselves on not being jackholes (and that Bills' & Sabres' fans usually cross over).

Anyways, it's over, let's just agree that...

GO BILLS!

I am 50 and have followed the sabres since late 60's yep - they always sing them both

the Sabres singer is Doug Allen. He is a great singer!

Hmmm interesting that you've followed the Sabres since the 60's considering their inaugural season was in 1970-71...

Buffalo and all border cities (both countries) do both national anthems because they're so close to each other and know that there's fans coming over from across the border.