Mike Jasper at Guard?

He looks like is at 340 or less.

I wonder what his vertical jump and 40 time is now , he had a 33 inch VJ at 394lbs and ran a 5.3 which is slightly insane- The Bills have some freak athletes on the squad now with big names like Dareus, M.Williams, Anderson, Merriman if healthy and lessor lights like Jasper, Fendi Onobun, Jarron Gilbert - whether they can play football though is a question.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think he was getting pushed around....I just think that he wasn't getting any penetration.

Def better suited as a protector then a agresser

I dunno, I was at the 3rd preseason game and he was getting moved around by the interior lineman pretty easily.

From the little I saw last year in the preseason, it looked like Jasper's problem wasn't getting a push, it was that he very seldom was able to shed or disengage his blocker. There's a lot of hand technique that comes with playing the line at a high level. Maybe he'll pick it up, maybe he won't.

In his 3/21 recap, Chris Brown had a photo of Mike Jasper from his visit to a local elementary school. The caption listed him as a guard. Whatcha think?

There was a lotta love for Jasper here last year after we picked him up. He's obviously a large force with some athletic ability...the trouble was finding a position he'd excel at. A back-up guard seems like a good fit. More O-Line depth...and a mountain of a man at that...isn't a bad idea.

old news

I recall, as others do, that he was moved to the OL right after preseason.

Some speculated that his short tenure on defense was some kind of ruse so other teams wouldn't sign him when we moved him to the practice squad. I'm not sure about that. It was odd, though, that we played him at one position in preseason only to have him on the PS at another position.

It will be interesting to see this preseason how this mountainous man has progressed.

I recall, as others do, that he was moved to the OL right after preseason.

Some speculated that his short tenure on defense was some kind of ruse so other teams wouldn't sign him when we moved him to the practice squad. I'm not sure about that. It was odd, though, that we played him at one position in preseason only to have him on the PS at another position.

It will be interesting to see this preseason how this mountainous man has progressed.

It wasn't odd to me, in fact, it seemed like a simple attempt to find a position for this big (athletic?) mountain. I would agree with both those who noted as DL, he didn't get any push in last years preseason, and that he did get pushed a round more than a guy his size should be.

Jasper is such a project at this point but he is such a psychical freak that its such a high ceiling. Is it possible for him to be on the practice squad for a second year?

I think you get at least two, if not 3 seasons on PS before you have to make the roster or get cut.

PTR

I think you get at least two, if not 3 seasons on PS before you have to make the roster or get cut.

PTR

Practice squad rules make my head hurt. As best I can figure out:

1) you can stay on the practice squad 3 seasons

OR

2) until you have accrued "a year" of NFL experience". How is "a year" of NFL experience defined?

" a player cannot participate on the practice squad for more than three seasons, or if he has accrued a year of NFL experience (six or more games on a club's 53-man active roster or official Injured Reserve list.)

If the player was on the active list for fewer than 9 games during their "only Accrued Season(s)", he maintains his eligibility for the practice squad."

So there you have it - if you've been active more than 6 games, you can no longer be on the practice squad, unless it's fewer than 9 games, then you can still be on the practice squad. (Whaaa?)

I believe, and would welcome someone to confirm or correct, that PS players can not use the team's facilities in the off-season or participate in OTAs, which I think is the reason the Bills signed Jasper to the roster at the end of the season.

He can still go on the practice squad for another year 'cuz he was active less than 6 games.

PTR

I could see Jasper being on the practice squad for another year or at least starting the year on the PS and then moving onto the roster as injuries hit the roster.

Not after the disaster last year when he played there.

Let me be the third person to point out that you're mistaken on this point.

When pressed into action at LT, Levitre showed why he was an excellent tackle at Oregon State.

That would be David DeCastro...

Oy vey…

The Bills would be better off drafting Reiff in hopes that he will be an excellent tackle. If he fails they could move him to guard where he would be outstanding.

From the little I saw last year in the preseason, it looked like Jasper's problem wasn't getting a push, it was that he very seldom was able to shed or disengage his blocker. There's a lot of hand technique that comes with playing the line at a high level. Maybe he'll pick it up, maybe he won't.

As an offensive lineman, thankfully he won't have to worry about trying to disengage from blockers.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Just for a little perspective; there is a picture on the Bill's website of "Bid Shadow" Mike next to our NT's Dwan and Alex at the Variety Club Telethon. He dwarfs even these BIG men. Really, really hope he can learn the pro game and take the field for us.

Levitre actually played surprisingly well at LT when they moved him there

When they moved him to Center, that was when the disaster occurred.

Wasn't Levitre's first game at LT the Redskins game where Fitz got wrecked? Seem to recall London got past Levitre.