Demetrius Bell - Now an Eagle

I mentioned that in the shout box earlier. If he isn't signed by the draft, he almost has to come back. Unless he is in negotiations with the 'Skins and no one knows about it to report it, I have no idea what else he is waiting for.

From what I've read, the Redskins seem to be interested in him not as a LT but to fill a void at RT - for RT money.

Meanwhile, no further interest from Arizona (of the Redskins, for that matter) since his visit over 10 days ago. (Seems when the Bills want someone in free agency, they know what they're willing to pay and go all-out to sign the guy!)

It'd be nice to have Bell back - he knows the system, and is a serviceable starting LT (when healthy). Having him back would also keep the Bills from having to 'reach' for a LT in the draft. (IMO, neither Martin nor Reiff will be a starting NFL LT this season - maybe never - and I wouldn't draft either of 'em.)

OTOH, if he dicks the Bills around all the way up to the draft, looking and waiting for that better offer that's not gonna come anyway, I say the Bills have to cut their losses on the guy and do what they need to in the draft to start preparing for life after Bell. That likely means drafting David DeCastro (who will be an All-pro guard for the next 10 years, and can also play center quite well) at the #10 spot, maybe having Levitre available to spell Hairston at LT, and picking up another free agent journeyman LT and/or drafting a Levi Adcock on day 3.

So, Demetrius, if you and your agent are watching, the clock keeps ticking - and the longer you do nothing, the more likely you'll be signing that 'veteran minimum' deal somewhere other than Buffalo...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

"I expect to be undefeated...I expect to win every game!" - Chan Gailey

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :thumbsup:

post-2970-047860700 1332698372_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Senator

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rotoworld is a fantasy site as most know, and they do little to no reporting themselves, but to me they are very rarely wrong. The editors there are really good. They didn't just make up the speculation and it likely did not come from a flimsy source. I'm not saying the veteran minimum thing is set in stone but i tend to believe it for now until I learn differently, and it would explain a lot.

couldn't disagree more, they do lazy reporting all the time and just drop whatever they want into their blurbs.....i think they pulled this one out of their ass, pure speculation, what's the point of sourcing something if it doesn't contain the info you're reporting? lazy.......regardless, don't even see the relevance of it anyway - league min is a red herring if they offered him a $20M signing bonus.......i wouldn't put any bearing on that comment

couldn't disagree more, they do lazy reporting all the time and just drop whatever they want into their blurbs.....i think they pulled this one out of their ass, pure speculation, what's the point of sourcing something if it doesn't contain the info you're reporting? lazy.......regardless, don't even see the relevance of it anyway - league min is a red herring if they offered him a $20M signing bonus.......i wouldn't put any bearing on that comment

Give me some examples. They don't really do any reporting and I go there every single day, just to see news. Their editors comment on whatever report they reference and source as to how it affects fantasy football, not real football. It's not lazy reporting, they are analysts that give their fantasy opinions on sourced reports, even if the sources do not turn out to be true. For the last few years, they have been very accurate, at least on fantasy stuff. IMO. When they say something like it was reportedly for veteran minimum that comes from somewhere else, not them.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

not sure how credible (by the looks of his pic on twitter, not very), but interesting note:

Bryan Brackney ‏ @bryanbrackney

Demetrius Bell has narrowed his choices between the Redskins and Bills.

https://twitter.com/#!/bryanbrackney

Give me some examples. They don't really do any reporting and I go there every single day, just to see news. Their editors comment on whatever report they reference and source as to how it affects fantasy football, not real football. It's not lazy reporting, they are analysts that give their fantasy opinions on sourced reports, even if the sources do not turn out to be true. For the last few years, they have been very accurate, at least on fantasy stuff. IMO. When they say something like it was reportedly for veteran minimum that comes from somewhere else, not them.

this is a good example - the source doesn't support the statement........that is lazy.......if there is somewhere that said they offered him vet min (which again, isn't even note worthy on it's own as signing bonus, guaranteed money, years all are more important elements that need to be analyzed in making a judgement on the value of the contract) they should reference.......without a reference they pulled it out of their ass as far as i'm concerned

not sure how credible (by the looks of his pic on twitter, not very), but interesting note:

Bryan Brackney ‏ @bryanbrackney

Demetrius Bell has narrowed his choices between the Redskins and Bills.

https://twitter.com/#!/bryanbrackney

What is this kid, like 12??? Further down he also says:

"Potential landing spots for Dallas Clark include: Oakland, Miami, and Buffalo." Is that what he personally thinks/is his speculation? I haven't seen or heard this anywhere else.

As far as Bell is concerned, I find it odd that there is no mention of it being down to either the Bills or Washington on his own Twitter account:

http://twitter.com/#!/dbell77

The silence on his status is deafening to me. The Bills have been swift to retain their own this off-season. Decent LTs rarely ever hit the market or do so due to age, injuries, or inconsistent play. Bell falls into the latter two categories, for sure. Given their lack of depth at LT, one would have to think that he would've been higher on the Bills' priority list. That sends up red flags, IMO. Either the Bills don't think he's that good and low-balled him/offered fewer years than he wants because of concerns over his injury history and inconsistency or he and his agent have over-valued his worth and are pricing him out of Buffalo and into an eventual position of signing with another club for a deal equal to or less than what the Bills have on the table, in order to "save face". I wouldn't be shocked whether he stayed or walked. I believe his best option would be to return to the Bills and sign a one year deal with injury/games played incentives. Show the league that you can stay healthy and hold your own at the line's most vital position and you'll score a big payday next year whether from the Bills or someone else.

Bell tested the market and the market seems to have rejected his demands at this point. Buddy needs to extend his hand and bring the kid so that we can concentrate on strengthening this team more in the draft. I cringe when I think we will take another sidestep by replacing a starter with a top draft pick.

So Buddy has once again defined his genius for us. Let him (Demetrius) go. speaking all the while about his (Bell ) injuries, repeated injuries, injury bug, unable to stay on the field for us etc. well it worked. come home to daddy son, play LT for us and prove youself a man. let's watch this closely.

What is this kid, like 12??? Further down he also says:

"Potential landing spots for Dallas Clark include: Oakland, Miami, and Buffalo." Is that what he personally thinks/is his speculation? I haven't seen or heard this anywhere else.

As far as Bell is concerned, I find it odd that there is no mention of it being down to either the Bills or Washington on his own Twitter account:

http://twitter.com/#!/dbell77

The silence on his status is deafening to me. The Bills have been swift to retain their own this off-season. Decent LTs rarely ever hit the market or do so due to age, injuries, or inconsistent play. Bell falls into the latter two categories, for sure. Given their lack of depth at LT, one would have to think that he would've been higher on the Bills' priority list. That sends up red flags, IMO. Either the Bills don't think he's that good and low-balled him/offered fewer years than he wants because of concerns over his injury history and inconsistency or he and his agent have over-valued his worth and are pricing him out of Buffalo and into an eventual position of signing with another club for a deal equal to or less than what the Bills have on the table, in order to "save face". I wouldn't be shocked whether he stayed or walked. I believe his best option would be to return to the Bills and sign a one year deal with injury/games played incentives. Show the league that you can stay healthy and hold your own at the line's most vital position and you'll score a big payday next year whether from the Bills or someone else.

they did low ball him....Buddy actually said in an interview that the contract they offered him wasn't starting LT money due to the injuries.

I doubt the Skins (the only other team that remains interested in Bell) offered him much either, otherwise he would have signed already.

and with the big names signed he will realize maybe the money is running out and it is time to sign, especially before there are few cuts and the cap numbers really come out. Bell will be a Bill by next week, I am betting it.

they did low ball him....Buddy actually said in an interview that the contract they offered him wasn't starting LT money due to the injuries.

I suppose I wouldn't really look at it as low balling if the open market seems to agree with Buddy's stance. Obviously no one's willing to throw starting LT money at an injury prone guy like Bell or he'd be signed somewhere by now. He's being offered fair value for where he is now at in his career: a quality starting caliber LT entering his prime with durability concerns.

and with the big names signed he will realize maybe the money is running out and it is time to sign, especially before there are few cuts and the cap numbers really come out. Bell will be a Bill by next week, I am betting it.

If he's smart, he'll re-sign with the Bills. He knows the system, players, coaches, and area. He'll also have a chance to compete for LT, not RT.

I doubt the Skins (the only other team that remains interested in Bell) offered him much either, otherwise he would have signed already.

With Trent Williams and Jamaal Brown does Washington have a starting position available for him?

I suppose I wouldn't really look at it as low balling if the open market seems to agree with Buddy's stance. Obviously no one's willing to throw starting LT money at an injury prone guy like Bell or he'd be signed somewhere by now. He's being offered fair value for where he is now at in his career: a quality starting caliber LT entering his prime with durability concerns.

The injuries have killed D. Bell's Market value...As well they should...He's made only 65% of his starts in 3 years, and the injuries have hurt his overall performance at times...No team is going to throw Starting LT money at Bell...At least not guaranteed Starting LT money...He truly would be wise to return to Buffalo and resume his career in a familiar Offense, at a familiar position...He's only going to be 28 years old in May...He has time to build his value still...He just HAS to stay healthier... B-)

With Trent Williams and Jamaal Brown does Washington have a starting position available for him?

I'm only guessing...But maybe they would cut Brown? B-)

Just to play devil's advocate here, Bell's agent wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't try to test the market. LTs are valuable and team's will overpay. It's Bell's tough luck if he doesn't cash in.

PTR

yep, but clock is ticking. Once draft hits Bell has little bargaining power so I think panic is starting to kick in a little. Bills should play hard ball with Bell now. Bell would be a fool to bolt for a small raise and a move to RT.

Edited by Pete