DE Mark Anderson in Buffalo (SIGNED)

SKRAAPY

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just under 7 mil a year is more than i thought he would get but at only 8 mil guaranteed it's not bad at all. If he's good we got him, if not, we can just release him. I'm loving this.

Do you suppose that this is basically the same money that they had slotted for Meachem?

At face value, I like this signing. Anderson probably peaked last year, but is still in his prime, and probably didn't cost a lot. He is risky in the sense that he's only had 2 good years sack-wise out of 6 or 7 in the league, he was only a part-time player last year (47% of NE's defensive snaps), and he's definitely a threat to turn back into a pumpkin. So I'm hoping the Bills didn't give him any of guaranteed money beyond 2012.

However, at this point, the Bills' FO has completely turned me around, and I actually have faith that Anderson's contract 1) gives the Bills plenty of ways out in case Anderson is a bust, and 2) isn't for too much money, because overpaying mediocre players is about the worst you can do. (Overpaying elite players like Super Mario is fine.) If Anderson goes back to the 4-6 sack range, that's probably too good to cut or ask to take a pay cut, but not good enough that you want him making a lot of money.

I'll wait to see the financials before making a final judgment, but given that Anderson lasted this long without signing, I have to think it's a pretty reasonable deal for the Bills. Plus it takes away a pass-rusher from New England, so that's another bonus. Tentative thumbs up.

At the same point, there was no pass rush in NE besides Carter, who is getting up there. The thing I'm most excited about is all the guys should benefit from playing with each other.

A ton left to prove, but on paper, I'd put our pass rush with anyone.

Do you suppose that this is basically the same money that they had slotted for Meachem?

Bills aint F'ing around...This is great!

Wouldnt be surprised if Kelsay gets released now for $ purposes.

Merrimen too if he is still gimpy.

That is a damn good D-Line right now!

Guarenteed money is reasonable. Frankly, I just love this offseason. Buddy is signing all our players that needed resigning and has gone out and gotten some huge additions. This looks like the NY Giants formula and why the Hell not! Can't wait for the draft. Next up, sign Bell. We need the depth at the very least. Also, re-up Wood and Levetre. Damn this is fun!

That actually makes a ton of sense...contracts are very similar except more guaranteed for Meachem which was probably the deal breaker in Buffalo.

Is anyone else starting to worry if there will be decent money left in the pot for FredEx?

Not really. Fred is under contract for the next two years I think. I love Fred, but the name of the game is to build a team and win. Fred is not getting a contract while we are

building, and while he's under contract.

I have come to the conclusion that Ralph WIlson has been kidnapped by aliens who are bills fans and replaced him with a look a like......and Buddy and Nix know about it and are just going with the flow!

Be mistaken for god? Check.

Get dumb humans to do stuff for us because they think we are gods? Check.

Build pyramids all over the world? Check.

Crash our newest model UFO on some dusty farm in Nevada while drunk? Check.

Exchange technology with Earth government in exchange for a free pass to abduct rednecks (and some beer) Check.

Abduct cows and people to do weird medical experiments? Check.

Finally realize we accidentally left Michael Jackson here in the 1980's and then come back to take him home? Check.

Abduct and replace Ralph Wilson with a clone to sign big name FA? Check.

Our Mission is complete, back to Zeta Reticuli for debriefing. :D

A wee bit more. I was thinking about 22 or so for Meachem. But I also really think they will release Edwards and have Anderson take his spot, which saves almost 4 million a year. So it's not paying a lot more for Anderson. I'm jazzed to say the least.

Rotoworld's take:

Bills signed DE Mark Anderson to a four-year, $27.5 million contract, with $8 million guaranteed.

Look for Buffalo to release DL Dwan Edwards in the coming days. Anderson is a one-trick pony pass rusher, but he will add explosiveness off the edge in Buffalo's nickel package. The 29-year-old racked up 12.5 sacks and two forced fumbles in New England last season, including 2.5 playoff sacks. With Mario Williams set to play left end, Anderson figures to be the Bills' primary right defensive end, rushing off the weak side. With stud tackles Marcel Dareus and Kyle Williams plugging the interior, you can make a good argument that Buffalo now has a top-five defensive line in terms of sheer talent.

Bills aint F'ing around...This is great!

Wouldnt be surprised if Kelsay gets released now for $ purposes.

Merrimen too if he is still gimpy.

That is a damn good D-Line right now!

WHY oh WHY

Would we cut DE DEPTH? Everyone knows that a good line needs to be a *rotation* of players. We still have cap room, there's no reason to cut Kelsay and Merriman *unless* the players behind them play *better*.

DEPTH is good people! C'mon!