One player is not going to change a thing for the Bills

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually agree with the premise.

Though, the post was a little simplistic.

Mario fills one need, a pass rush.

We still have Offensive line needs, WR depth needs, TE depth needs, and Linebacker needs. They aren't nearly as pressing as the pass rush need was, but the fact is, we have other holes/problem areas that we need to take care of.

Mario *will* improve the team, but he won't improve all aspects of the team that need improving.

As much as I hate to say it, I think he has a point. It's as if we are going to be able to go "poof, suddenly we have no question marks". That said, Mario Williams is a huge improvement. With free agency, the draft, and waivers coming up I am confident that Mario Williams is the start, not the end, of our rebuilding this offseason.

Ok, enough of this. Jeezus freaking Christ. WHO on this board, or anywhere, thinks the Bills are now Super Bowl-ready, as is? Nobody, that's who -- and that's why this is one of the most ridiculous threads ever started on TSW.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This is SO MUCH MORE than 1 player. This is a change in culture, a change in perspective, and most importantly a change in the way OTHER PLAYERS will look at Buffalo. Having Mario is amazing. Having him say 50% of the reason he signed here was the organization/community is so very, very important to this organization.

Or was that 50% of his money is guaranteed ;)

Damn that is one sweet contract!

Edited by CodeMonkey

Is it really so bad to continue to support the team through continued additions? I have seen lots of posts asking for specific guys and we all hoped to get the twofer on Tuesday of Meachem and Williams. To be more specific, who wouldn't like to add Kamerion Wimbley to the defense? Or, Mario Mannigham to improve the WR core?

I certainly agree that chemistry is important to championship teams and I don't see why it is to be derided. Mario Williams talking about the chemistry in the defensive film rooms; the reference to the wives making dinner together in a family atmosphere was a particular favorite of mine.

Why then is this thread taking such a pounding? There are more people on TBD then there used to be and the Mario signing makes this site even more legit. I was glued to TBD for three days and had a great time talking Free Agency. We should work to maintain an atmosphere of bills camaraderie and mutual respect because God knows we don't get respect anywhere else.

A call to decency on the interweb? What was I thinking?

A call to decency from a poster named poo.

Oh and staying home and drinking kills as many brain cells as going out and drinking. Exhibit A- OP

I thought drinking made you smarter 'cuz the booze kills the weak brain cells.

Sorta like wolves thinning the caribou herds.

Think opposing QBs getting rid of the ball quickly instead of eating lunch back there waiting for a WR to get open because no secondary in the NFL can cover for 8 seconds.

Oh, man, wasn't it the sad truth. I swear Brady had time to dial up Jimmy Johns, accept delivery, and eat half a sandwich back there.

Think mediocre opposing QB looking...mediocre for a change instead of all pro vs. B'lo

As much as I hate to say it, I think he has a point. It's as if we are going to be able to go "poof, suddenly we have no question marks". That said, Mario Williams is a huge improvement. With free agency, the draft, and waivers coming up I am confident that Mario Williams is the start, not the end, of our rebuilding this offseason.

No one is going "poof, we have no question marks".

It is not a good point to think "one player is not going to change a thing for the Bills", and it's a long way from "not change a thing" to "no question marks"

1331931387[/url]' post='2411811']

Mario wasn't even the start. I would suggest that re-signing Stevie.. or even possibly the firing of Edwards was the start of the continued rebuilding this offseason.

The thing the OP, and other perhaps, need to remember is that while signing Mario is great and definitely should improve this team; going over board with FAs is never a good thing. Nix, I still believe, is firmly committed to building through the draft and signing FAs that will help. Its why he's basically said they're done.

Yes, they need a WR. And early indications were they were making a good effort to sign a FA WR, but when the one(s) they wanted were signed, there's no need to keep chasing WRs. It doesn't mean they won't still keep looking for diamonds in the rough, but I think it entirely means they're back to the original plan of building through the draft. And I'm more than happy with that. It seems to be working.

Start chasing every FA to fill every possible weakness and where do you end up? With the Skins or Philly or any number of other teams that have tried that and gotten ...no where.

Edited by Dan

Let's be real. It's the NFL in 2012. Every team has holes. Even the ones who make the playoffs and win the Super Bowl. The Pats had the second worst pass defense in NFL history, and they were close to winning it all. And the worst (GB) almost went undefeated.

To say that this signing doesn't make us a complete team is correct. But no team is. However, to say that this signing can't put us over the hump is what I don't agree with. Dareus was on the same island last year as Kyle has been on for the few years prior to that. I was excited to see what they could do together but that obviously didn't pan out with Kyle's injury. Now they are healthy, and you add Mario F'n Williams??? That is a defensive coordinator's wet dream. Just imagine what Tiger Woods' retarded half brother must feel like right now (George Edwards, that is).

Assuming there aren't crippling injuries again (and I know that's a big assumption), I'd be very disappointed if this team didn't make the playoffs and even make some noise once it got there. We have a good coach on both sides of the ball now. Other than injuries, the only thing that can derail this team is Fitzpatrick. Hopefully he comes to play this year.

You are right, we are not one player away but this is more about a change in culture than anything. This isn't a shithole where big name free agents avoid like the plague, this is a serious contender in the AFC East. The Jets are imploding, the Dolphins don't have a qb and the Patriots are not unbeatable anymore. This is much bigger than one player, this is the NFL taking notice that the Bills mean business and we intend to win

You are right, we are not one player away but this is more about a change in culture than anything. This isn't a shithole where big name free agents avoid like the plague, this is a serious contender in the AFC East. The Jets are imploding, the Dolphins don't have a qb and the Patriots are not unbeatable anymore. This is much bigger than one player, this is the NFL taking notice that the Bills mean business and we intend to win

Didn't we intend to win last year?