Is Schobel considering coming out of retirement?

NishP

I talked to Aaron Scobel last also considering coming out of retirement for one year just thought I should mention <-------

D.Flo tweeted this about 5 minutes ago, don't know if he was serious but this would be interesting!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just heard it from two separate outlets.

Something about Drayton Florence speaking with Schobel and he is considering coming out of retirement to join the party. I think he is only 32. Anyone else hear this?

Just heard it from two separate outlets.

Something about Drayton Florence speaking with Schobel and he is considering coming out of retirement to join the party. I think he is only 32. Anyone else hear this?

Heard nothing; but, if it is true they have to get it done.

Through the writing of another post one of the replies to that said post was -- " I Hope we are not comparing Mario to Schobel" & i wasn't sure if that was a slam against Schobel or a compliment ..

So with my interest peaking taking the comment as a slam against our beloved retired B .Bill Arron Schobel i did a bit of checking on that reply & found that Schobel was pretty dam good !!!

Although i am ecstatic about Mario signing with the Bills & think that he will be a huge help in getting us back to being relevant , Schobel was a monster & had a big

60.5 sacks in his first 6 years playing for the Bills in the NFL so that is nothing to sneeze at , & i put this post up not only in hopes that the guy that wrote that reply would read this & not only realize how good Schobel was while here but recant that statement if in fact it was a slam .

And let the rest of the Bills Mafia know just how good Schobel was for our Bills & not take a slam at him like that other guy did :thumbdown: !!

I will go one farther in saying that with Schobel being off for like 2 or more years i would bet that if he has stayed in good shape & wanted to come back to playing ball could put up as many or more sacks than any one we currently have on the Bills roster !!

Given all that i have said we haven't had the kind of pass rush that Mario is going to give us since Schobel left !!

T Master brought this up in another forum, so the credit for the data goes to him (and NFL.com obviously), the blame for the question (and for looking the gift horse in the eye) goes to me....

Aaron Schobel first 6 seasons 60.5 sacks, 96 games played, therefore .630 sacks per game

Mario Williams first 6 seasons, 53 sacks, 82 games played, therefore .646 sacks per game.

Now don't get me wrong, I nearly pee'd myself when Williams was signed, and I DO think he can be a franchise changer, but it really shocked me to realize that we had someone who by the numbers seemed to be comparable in terms of his ability to get to the QB.

The nagging thought I have is that why is this new amazing pass rusher going to change anything when we had an amazing (albeit underrated) pass rusher before and still sucked.

I also wonder why I am so excited about this signing when we have arguably had a comparable pass rusher in the recent past

So to talk myself off the ledge I came to the following conclusions:

Why Williams will have much more impact than schobel ever did: unlike schobel, williams will have the benefit of:

1. Supporting cast (KW, MD)

2. Less than anemic offense, so defense will not have to be on field all game

3. Decent secondary when pass rush was present last year

Why williams signing should elicit so much excitement

1. Credibility to the organization (in terms of willingness to spend, commitment to win,

2. Huge shot in the arm to the area (He definitively defended the city and lauded the area and its occupants in his first press conference, and noted it as a main reason why he decided to sign with buffalo (as opposed to signing despite the area).

3. The fact that #1 and #2 will assist in bringing in more talent in the future)

4. In this context, pass rush may be the critical component needed to make the defense solid (will make the run D more stout by being able to seal the edge, will make the secondary better by shortening routes and not having to worry as much about defending the run with safeties, then combine a solid D with a significantly improved offense and we may be real contenders). When schobel was here, It think we were pretty bad DESPITE having a pass rush, not because we didn't have one, which is why this is such a big deal.

Anyways, I know that I am talking in circles, and yes, this is mostly for my own therapy to continue to feel ecstatic about recent events but I just wanted to get your thoughts on why this time will be different, or why schobel's surprising talent never translated to wins for our teams.

AS an aside, I know that Schobel's production slipped off after his 6th year, but that was when he was injured and missed a lot of time, his last year, however, he notched 10 sacks, so there's nothing to say he was really falling off in terms in production, still can't believe he retired.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/3/16/2877130/aaron-schobel-rumors-retirement-buffalo-bills#comments

I would have no problem if Schobel wanted to return. I think Schobel got burnt out and sick of losing. IMO, Schobel got tired of the organization not showing the willingness to win. People forget that the last season Schobel played was a good one. He had 10 sacks, plus the best play of his career when he had a leaping one-handed INT (against Brady) that he returned for a TD.

At this point, the most I think he should get would be between $2-3 million a year.

I don't think he would be a Chan and Buddy guy just like how they perceived Lee Evans. Wasn't Schobel the guy as perceived as lazy during practice?

I don't want him either. You don't bring back quitters that lack heart. He is anti what this team is about right now.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

At the time I said he was leaving because he didn't want to transition to a 3-4 just like Hansen retired when williams wanted to transition to a 4-3. I don't know what the guy has left but switching back to a 4-3 would be a step in the right direction. I think I'd look to the draft for another DE first.

It would be a great move to bring him in for a year provided he's in shape and isn't asking for too much money. A DE rotation with M Williams, Merriman, Kelsay, & Schobel would give us so much depth that we could always have a fresh effective pass rusher on the field & gives us insurance so we could withstand an injury or two without it tanking our defense.