Alex Carrington

Simon

You're right and I didn't give this much thought but I think when it comes to carrington he can be a similar player to that of the Giants Chris Canty. Although 2 inches shorter than Canty can play that swing tackle/end role. With a bit more fine tuning of his game can be a very solid rotational player at either spot. I don't see him as a starter right now. Honestly given the type of dend Mario Williams is I think we'd be better served with more of a pass rusher type. I love Mario Williams when healthy I don't think there's a better all around 4-3 end outside of the likes of Peppers/Tuck but a mathis dumerville type player to compliment MW would be ideal. I do think Carrington adds tremendous depth though as he continues to round out his game.

Carrington also would be the best at setting the edge in run situations.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To say kelsay was out played the carrington to not even close. Kelsay had 5 sacks and 46 tackles while Carrington had 1 sack and 16 tackles. Its like saying Ralf is cheep!!

People just like Carrington because he's not Kelsay. It doesn't matter that he hasn't done a thing or even shown any signs of doing anything.

Carrington also would be the best at setting the edge in run situations.

Carrington should be the starter at RDE. Draft a back up. Kelsay and Edwards should be let go and that cap space should be used for a WR or TE. The DT rotation is set for the next five years.

:lol: Maybe the Bills should start Carrington and Johnson and then bring in Williams and Kelsay in passing situations.

Why are people wanting Kelsay off the team?

Why is everyone here against the concept of DEPTH?

:wallbash:

To say kelsay was out played the carrington to not even close. Kelsay had 5 sacks and 46 tackles while Carrington had 1 sack and 16 tackles. Its like saying Ralf is cheep!!

YEEEEUP!

Kelsay had a pretty good year last year, and frankly is a solid player. Not a pro bowler, but above average and is dependable.

Why would you get rid of a guy like that and create less depth, or another hole? Carrington is unproven, he hasn't shown anything on the field. Merriman is possibly a scratch.

WHERE IS THE LOGIC?

:wallbash:

I would love to see Carrington come in to his own and become a dominant player for us but anyone who thinks he outplayed Kelsay last year wasn't watching the same games as me. Kelsay had a much improved season after looking totally out of place the year before. Kelsay is not a linebacker but when his hand is down in the dirt he is a good run defender and an average rusher. I thought Kelsay was one of our most steady players last year on the defensive side of the ball. I think it's crazy when people say he had a bad year last year and that he now needs to be cut. Carrington was having a hard time even getting snaps and Gailey mentioned on more than one occasion that his play has been inconsistent. I think people just like to make trades, see cuts, and love to call for changes but Kelsay was a steady and slightly above average player for us and that's not a bad thing. Like I said, I hope Carrington gets it right this season because if he doesn't his days might be numbered in Buffalo. I'm pulling for him.

agreed

Makes sense. Get Kelsay off the field and maybe off the team. :thumbsup:

Agreed, love to see what Carrington can do at RDE with the 3 studs upfront.

Absolutely,... IMO, that 4th spot should be Carrington's to lose. If he can't do it, then consider the others. He's going into his 3rd year and it has to be him!

Nix said it.

Said it in his wgr interview, they knew one of the things that were important to him was that he likes to play on the left side.

Edited by Carey Bender

Carrington should definitely benefit from adding Mario. He has the skill set, it seems. I'm shocked that Mario will be playing LDE. I expected him to play the other side. It seems like Kelsey and Carrington got the majority of the work on the left (all of Kelsey's time is on the left), but If Mario wants to play LDE, let him. Mario and Marcel lined up next to each other is downright scary. Im not counting on much from him, but IF Merriman can stay healthy and play RDE, our dline may be the leagues best. They may even be the leagues best with Kelsey out there. I wonder if they plan on drafting a DE in the 1st 3 rounds.

With one of the DE positions secured (and how!-) I am seeing a lot of talk about how Kelsay and Merriman are going to fit into the remaining available slot. But I don't think I've seen so much as a mention of Carrington over the last few days. When he was allowed to play End last year, he outplayed both Kelsay and Merriman in both 3 and 4 man fronts and with an offseason to condition as a 4/3 DE, he's likely to be even better this year.

Folks seem to be just assuming that Kelsay is going to man that LDE spot with Merriman doing spot duty as a situational pass rusher. But don't dismiss Carrington as the potential starter at DE; even at his age, he's a more well-rounded and complete player than either of the guys everybody else is talking about and I think he's going to give both Kelsay and Merriman everything they can handle when its time to decide who our starters are in August.

Carrington has been intriguing. I was willing to give him the doubt about both scheme and consistency in positions played. He (like several others on D) were not playing a single position and in consistent alignments on a regular basis to get any continuity, development and maturity. If Carrington indeed develops more this offseason, we will have the best front four, bar none. We do need at least another LB, if not two (assuming Moats is not that player), to really solidify the front 7. I can imagine this D wreaking havoc.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

I think a number of posters should submit their resumes to other teams in AFE if they know so much about football and that Kelsay should be cut ; it would help our offense a lot with their knowledge of our defense being given to opposing teams if they were hired.

This. I haven't seen anything that would remotely lead me to believe that Carrington is in any way a better DE than Kelsay. Frankly, I think that Spencer Johnson has been better than Carrington at DE and DT so he is WAY down on the depth chart in my book.

Look again. Several of those turnovers early last season originated with batted balls courtesy of Alex Carrington. Kelsay is serviceable. I'm not against keeping him around for depth, but clearly Carrington is the talent with the biggest upside. Gimme those long, strong, arms any day over Kelsay.

Said it in his wgr interview, they knew one of the things that were important to him was that he likes to play on the left side.

And another was that he doesn't like playing linebacker so don't expect much zone blitz/dropping into coverage for him.

Carrington also had a couple blocked kicks !......look I'm not the biggest Kelsay fan but when surrounded by good players he is a capable NFL player. When your looking to him AS your playmaker- that is not him. I think Kelsay will have his best year in 2012 just being able to play with NFL legit players. In his entire career name four good NFL players he's played with in the front 7

Edited by CardinalScotts