Scott Chandler Interview

iommi

Fred Davis is a drug risk. He was entering into his free agent year with the potential for big bucks. What does he do? He gets suspended for drug use i.e. weed. How do you explain someone continuing to use the weed knowing he has already been caught and are subjected to increased teasting. What a dope! Although he was suspended last year the Skins want to keep him. Last year, he had a breakout year. There is a chance the Skins will franchise him or give him a one year contract or a contract with certain safeguards in it.

Your John Carlson suggestion is appealing. At times you do surprise me. :devil:

A lot of the players are drug risks if you count weed or alcohol as drugs. He was just dumb enough to get caught. But he's not the only one bakin'.

Intent on testing the waters. Doesn't sound like he's envisioning being back. I just hope the experience with what even a half-way decent TE can do has opened Chan's mind to the position.

You got that from this? Seriously??:

"TSH: You said you were a free agent. Would you like to see yourself back in Buffalo?

SC: That’d be great. I’d love to be back in Buffalo. But this is where the game turns into a business. I’ve been on the bad end of the business four times—I’ve been cut four times—and you want to make the most out of the opportunities, and you don’t get that many opportunities. You’ve got to maximize your value in the league."

One of my irrelevant concerns is how Chandler really feels about this team. When a fellow has bounced around and then had a decent enough season here with Buddy and Chan he feels he should use us as a stepping stone? Like Stevie in a way. Who was a very late draft pick and has developed his skills while with the Bills. I realize i am terrible at business and my expectations are ridiculous, but Scott wants to test the waters after we tender him an offer. Well happy sailing. Because when your heart is broken you will skulk back home. Take the lower pay and be dissapointed with life. hopefully we grab that Engnew(?) fella I always want a guy who is thrilled to be playing football in the NFL. Like i said unrealistic perspectiveon my part. But he should negotiate with us and take what is his best offer from us also. :angry:
I feel kind of the same way. I usually scoff at the idea of loyalty to the team, because the team will cut you as soon as they have a better option without a second thought. At the same time, given that he's finally found an opportunity where he gets playing time in an offense where he has been able to find success, it seems foolish to go elsewhere unless someone is really willing to give him a significantly higher payday. When your break out year is 389 rec yds the crash back to earth can be quick and painful.

It ain't personal boys, it's business. He's bounced around the league and finally had the opportunity to start and made the most of it. Good for him and good for the Bills. But does he owe the Bills any loyalty? No. Do they owe him? No. It's a business, plain and simple. He's not a superstar and this may be his one and only shot at grabbing the brass ring. If somebody blows him out of the water with an offer and the Bills don't want to match or come close, then he should take it and run. If his offer from the Bills is not significantly different from that of any other team(s), I believe he should remain with the Bills. There is something to be said for continuity and playing in an offense that fits your abilities. Let's see how this plays out. If he hits the market, it doesn't mean that he won't sign with the Bills. He's said he'd "love to be back in Buffalo". That's all you can ask from any Bills free agent. Now the business end of things determines whether or not that happens.

It ain't personal boys, it's business. He's bounced around the league and finally had the opportunity to start and made the most of it. Good for him and good for the Bills. But does he owe the Bills any loyalty? No. Do they owe him? No. It's a business, plain and simple.

While you're probably right, I don't understand it.

The Bills basically gave guys like Stevie Johnson and Scott Chandler opportunities when no one else would. The team put them in a position to succeed. I would hope that there's some appreciation and loyalty to the organization, which would translate into them wanting to remain in Buffalo.

This isn't to suggest that they would stay here and get paid the vet minimum; but if they're evaluating an offer from another team that is the same or even slightly better, I would hope that they would sign with the Bills out of a sense of loyalty.

Nix has the right approach. Chandler is a TE that works in this Offensive system, but wasn't exactly making MVP type of plays for other teams, he had a solid year here and hope he can return. But to demand a large payday after one year of productivity is asinine and for Nix would be bad business, and while some people haven't liked Nix, I've enjoyed what he's done thus far - given the time he had to do it in regarding his first season and then the shortened FA period last year due to the work stoppage, and I believe he's a guy who wants to put winners on this team but not at the expense of over paying them due to a single year or bringing guys in who we will not work as a cohesive unit which is why I think many "top tier" FA are overlooked by him, the belief that bringing in that "star" player is counter-productive to the team as a whole...either way, Chandler is good for this football team but he's not worth big money...and I too would love to see the BILLS go after a guy like Fred Davis or even Martellus Bennett, with or without Chandler

I just can't believe people still confuse David Nelson with Shawn Nelson and think he's a tight end. I say let Chandler walk and sign Fred Davis or the Dallas backup. Martellus Bennett? if can't get either then go after Chandler

I was disappointed the Bills didn't grab Davis coming out of USC. Would love to have him finally.

Over half the league is subsidized, John. If not for that, there would be far fewer teams. And it's the only reason there is still a team in Buffalo. Had there not been a CBA and revenue sharing, the Bills would have been long gone. And even with revenue sharing, it hasn't stopped other owners from pulling up stakes.

You keep referring to this clown owner's ability to have moved this franchise somewhere else. My response is so what. What does that have to do with him grotesquely mismanaging this franchise? If the team was moved and he managed it the same way as he does with in western NY he would have presided over a losing franchise in another location. Being a rich market or poor market has little to do with stupidly running a franchise.

You keep referring to this clown owner's ability to have moved this franchise somewhere else. My response is so what. What does that have to do with him grotesquely mismanaging this franchise? If the team was moved and he managed it the same way as he does with in western NY he would have presided over a losing franchise in another location. Being a rich market or poor market has little to do with stupidly running a franchise.

So what if he moved the franchise? :o

[/discussion]

Last season I saw Chandler do some really good things. He seemed to be a very reliable option for a Quarterback who, in my opinion, was very sketchy at times. Chandler would have a game where he'd make some really outstanding catches, -and then for no reason the offense would shy away from getting him the ball. I'd be like, "Where the F__ is Chandler today?"

Not sure if it it was Gailey's fault or what, but I really wished he had a bigger share of the load in some of those games.

I hope the guy re-signs. IMO Scott Chandler was a very bright spot in a predominantly lackluster passing game last season.

Edited by #34fan

Last season I saw Chandler do some really good things. He seemed to be a very reliable option for a Quarterback who, in my opinion, was very sketchy at times. Chandler would have a game where he'd make some really outstanding catches, -and then for no reason the offense would shy away from getting him the ball. I'd be like, "Where the F__ is Chandler today?"

Not sure if it it was Gailey's fault or what, but I really wished he had a bigger share of the load in some of those games.

I hope the guy re-signs. IMO Scott Chandler was a very bright spot in a predominantly lackluster passing game last season.

Did Chandler disappear because of Fitz, because he couldn't get open, or because he had to stay in to block more? That's the question.

I'm not trying to say Scott Chandler is the second coming of Antonio Gates or Vernon Davis, clearly he isn't that kind of athlete. I'm not even trying to say he is Jason Witten.

But, I still scratch my head when fans are so willing to let a productive player walk assuming it's somehow Chan Gailey's elite mind that made him out to be more than he was. When you look at teams who have the best offenses year in and year out, you look at consistency.

Again, I'm not comparing them as athletes, but look at the Colts with Peyton Manning, Dallas Clark, Reggie Wayne, Joe Addai, Jacob Tamme etc. You had the same offensive system and the same players with years of getting familiar in it.

Yes, Martellus Bennet could probably come in and be as productive as Chandler was last year. But isn't it possible that Chandler in year 2 would be better than Chandler in year 1? Isn't there something to be said for familiarity of the offense, and offensive weapons growing together?

To me, if we're really rebuilding, then we need to not only uncover talent in many different ways, but keep the guys we find. We found a productive QB in Ryan Fitzpatrick buried on our depth chart. We found a number 1 WR Stevie Johnson in the 7th round of the draft. We found an elite RB in Fred Jackson in undrafted free agency. If you're able to find these kinds of players, and then you're also able to get good value out of your premium draft picks (which hasn't been the case to this point, although Dareus and Spiller look to be solid building blocks), that's how you turn a poor franchise around.

I'd like to see the Bills keep Chandler. Reward a guy for playing above his expectations. Let's not make it a given that everytime a player plays well he is playing himself out of Buffalo. Obviously if he and his agent are looking for Antonio Gates money, then the conversation should be short and not-so-sweet...but if he is looking for fair market value for a productive starting TE, let's pay the guys who produce for us.

I'm not trying to say Scott Chandler is the second coming of Antonio Gates or Vernon Davis, clearly he isn't that kind of athlete. I'm not even trying to say he is Jason Witten.

But, I still scratch my head when fans are so willing to let a productive player walk assuming it's somehow Chan Gailey's elite mind that made him out to be more than he was. When you look at teams who have the best offenses year in and year out, you look at consistency.

Again, I'm not comparing them as athletes, but look at the Colts with Peyton Manning, Dallas Clark, Reggie Wayne, Joe Addai, Jacob Tamme etc. You had the same offensive system and the same players with years of getting familiar in it.

Yes, Martellus Bennet could probably come in and be as productive as Chandler was last year. But isn't it possible that Chandler in year 2 would be better than Chandler in year 1? Isn't there something to be said for familiarity of the offense, and offensive weapons growing together?

To me, if we're really rebuilding, then we need to not only uncover talent in many different ways, but keep the guys we find. We found a productive QB in Ryan Fitzpatrick buried on our depth chart. We found a number 1 WR Stevie Johnson in the 7th round of the draft. We found an elite RB in Fred Jackson in undrafted free agency. If you're able to find these kinds of players, and then you're also able to get good value out of your premium draft picks (which hasn't been the case to this point, although Dareus and Spiller look to be solid building blocks), that's how you turn a poor franchise around.

I'd like to see the Bills keep Chandler. Reward a guy for playing above his expectations. Let's not make it a given that everytime a player plays well he is playing himself out of Buffalo. Obviously if he and his agent are looking for Antonio Gates money, then the conversation should be short and not-so-sweet...but if he is looking for fair market value for a productive starting TE, let's pay the guys who produce for us.

Best post ive seen on here in a while :thumbsup:

He'll sign, Nix is taking care of the stars first then guys like Chandler will be next.

The intimation I've gotten from articles was that our FO is expecting him to test the waters. He will not sign before free agency unless he gets a sweetheart deal, and since that hasn't happened yet, I highly doubt it will.

He may take whatever offers he gets back to the Bills to see if they'll match or come close ala what Clabo did last year in ATL. But the way the dude is talking, besides a standard "sure, I'd love to come back to Buffalo... for the right price" (note: I am not begrudging SC for this) is what a lot of dudes say right before they start packing.

I don't think he's going to be back unless Overdorf lays down a lot of dollars. And I'm thinking Nix will be all right going into next season with Lee Smith and a draft pick/UDFA. That's just how we roll at this position, unfortunately.

You got that from this? Seriously??:

"TSH: You said you were a free agent. Would you like to see yourself back in Buffalo?

SC: Thatd be great. Id love to be back in Buffalo. But this is where the game turns into a business. Ive been on the bad end of the business four timesIve been cut four timesand you want to make the most out of the opportunities, and you dont get that many opportunities. Youve got to maximize your value in the league."

It ain't personal boys, it's business. He's bounced around the league and finally had the opportunity to start and made the most of it. Good for him and good for the Bills. But does he owe the Bills any loyalty? No. Do they owe him? No. It's a business, plain and simple. He's not a superstar and this may be his one and only shot at grabbing the brass ring. If somebody blows him out of the water with an offer and the Bills don't want to match or come close, then he should take it and run. If his offer from the Bills is not significantly different from that of any other team(s), I believe he should remain with the Bills. There is something to be said for continuity and playing in an offense that fits your abilities. Let's see how this plays out. If he hits the market, it doesn't mean that he won't sign with the Bills. He's said he'd "love to be back in Buffalo". That's all you can ask from any Bills free agent. Now the business end of things determines whether or not that happens.

Exactly

He should test the waters... Chandler knows the life of a pro player better then anyone, having played for 4 different teams so early in his career.

Here today gone tomorrow. Can you blame him for wanting to get max GAURANTEED dollars? We here would all do the same.

He is probably worth $3mil a season(give or take). 4 years for $12mil with $8mil gauranteed would get it done?

Edited by atlbillsfan1975