Scott Chandler Interview

iommi

After the TE position being a void on the Bills for the past 10 years or so since Riemersma left for Pittsburgh, I think that it would be a tremendous mistake for the Bills to nickel-and-dime Chandler so that he finds opportunity elsewhere.

Heck, I would argue that Chandler was a HUGE part of the 5-2 record, especially in the red zone with his height and catching ability he was a mismatch for defenders and opened things up for others as well as himself.

IMO, unlike the previous poster you don't let a proven commodity go like Chandler so that you can sign someone else's TE.

I think Buddy Nix said it best at the end of the season when the topic of Chandler's free agent status came up and he stated that Chandler has got to have realistic expectations on a contract, based on the team he is playing for and his abilities and history thus far in the league.

I completely agree with Nix's assessment. Chandler has proven himself an outstanding asset to the Bills offense. But again, he is valuable to the Bills. He was cut from 4 different teams prior to signing and starting for the Bills; and that has got to be in his head. If he understands his value to the Bills, and understands his history with the other teams in the NFL, then he will resign with Buffalo.

However, if he has delusions of grandeur and thinks himself a starter on the Patriots, for example- despite the fact Gronkowski and Hernandez are there- he will have a rude awakening and may even be out of football in 2-3 seasons if he chooses the "grass is greener" scenario.

He has excellent value. His skills are tremendous. But he is most valuable on the Buffalo Bills.

Intent on testing the waters. Doesn't sound like he's envisioning being back.

I just hope the experience with what even a half-way decent TE can do has opened Chan's mind to the position.

I didn't read that in his statement.

He sounds like a professional, who realizes that it is now time for business.

You may have scanned over it, but he stated that he would like to be back in Buffalo. I mean, the guys been cut from 4 different teams, I'm sure he would like some stability and he even stated that he sees the Bills improving with the right coach and QB in place.

I just hope that Overdork doesn't pinch pennies on Chandler, because for the Bills Chandler really opened things up in the red zone and reestablished the TE position for almost a decade of it being missing, and his value is with the Bills.

After the TE position being a void on the Bills for the past 10 years or so since Riemersma left for Pittsburgh, I think that it would be a tremendous mistake for the Bills to nickel-and-dime Chandler so that he finds opportunity elsewhere.

Heck, I would argue that Chandler was a HUGE part of the 5-2 record, especially in the red zone with his height and catching ability he was a mismatch for defenders and opened things up for others as well as himself.

IMO, unlike the previous poster you don't let a proven commodity go like Chandler so that you can sign someone else's TE.

I think Buddy Nix said it best at the end of the season when the topic of Chandler's free agent status came up and he stated that Chandler has got to have realistic expectations on a contract, based on the team he is playing for and his abilities and history thus far in the league.

I completely agree with Nix's assessment. Chandler has proven himself an outstanding asset to the Bills offense. But again, he is valuable to the Bills. He was cut from 4 different teams prior to signing and starting for the Bills; and that has got to be in his head. If he understands his value to the Bills, and understands his history with the other teams in the NFL, then he will resign with Buffalo.

However, if he has delusions of grandeur and thinks himself a starter on the Patriots, for example- despite the fact Gronkowski and Hernandez are there- he will have a rude awakening and may even be out of football in 2-3 seasons if he chooses the "grass is greener" scenario.

He has excellent value. His skills are tremendous. But he is most valuable on the Buffalo Bills.

I didn't read that in his statement.

He sounds like a professional, who realizes that it is now time for business.

You may have scanned over it, but he stated that he would like to be back in Buffalo. I mean, the guys been cut from 4 different teams, I'm sure he would like some stability and he even stated that he sees the Bills improving with the right coach and QB in place.

I just hope that Overdork doesn't pinch pennies on Chandler, because for the Bills Chandler really opened things up in the red zone and reestablished the TE position for almost a decade of it being missing, and his value is with the Bills.

Pinch pennies or not overpay for average talent? I have no idea what Chandler is asking for but Buddy made it sound like he was over-estimating his value. Just because a Bills free agent wants $7M/yr do you just give it to them?

PTR

I think it was a good interview. He's an UFA and he's looking to cash-in, because he's been bouncing-around the league during his first 4 years. And this being a pretty weak FA TE crop, he could do just that. But he played in 14 games and caught just 38 passes for 389 yards, albeit 6 TD's. How much is that worth? Do you focus on the low passes and yards, or on the TD's?

I think it was a good interview. He's an UFA and he's looking to cash-in, because he's been bouncing-around the league during his first 4 years. And this being a pretty weak FA TE crop, he could do just that. But he played in 14 games and caught just 38 passes for 389 yards, albeit 6 TD's. How much is that worth? Do you focus on the low passes and yards, or on the TD's?

Imo the focus is that he is the first respectable TE on this roster for many years. He isn't great, but I am afraid to see the team with a complete void at yet another position. It used to be that way at RG, and now the lb corps is all but shot.

Imo the focus is that he is the first respectable TE on this roster for many years. He isn't great, but I am afraid to see the team with a complete void at yet another position. It used to be that way at RG, and now the lb corps is all but shot.

If they're going to spend big bucks on a TE, I'd rather they did it on Fred Davis. Or take a chance on a guy like John Carlson.

I would like to see Chandler retained. You accurately described his talent level, respectable. I have no problem with him testing the free agent market. For him that makes good business sense. But the truth of the matter is that he is a pedestrian talent who was smartly used mostly near the goal line. He is the type of player that can be very easily replaced with little awareness of his loss.

Odds are that once the market demonstrates to him that there isn't a high yield demand for his services he will re-sign with the Bills. No matter how this ends up he is the type of player and person you wish well.

There is another storyline associated with Chandler, Stevie Johnson and LB Paul P: smart football business. Buddy Nix is injecting a sense of rationality in an organization known for its zaniness. He is showing that he has an understanding of the relationship between talent and value. That is an encouraging sign.

If they're going to spend big bucks on a TE, I'd rather they did it on Fred Davis. Or take a chance on a guy like John Carlson.

Fred Davis is a drug risk. He was entering into his free agent year with the potential for big bucks. What does he do? He gets suspended for drug use i.e. weed. How do you explain someone continuing to use the weed knowing he has already been caught and are subjected to increased teasting. What a dope! Although he was suspended last year the Skins want to keep him. Last year, he had a breakout year. There is a chance the Skins will franchise him or give him a one year contract or a contract with certain safeguards in it.

Your John Carlson suggestion is appealing. At times you do surprise me. :devil:

3 things:

1- As a FA, Chandler has every right to 'test the waters' - it's not like he's being an a**hole like Lazy FatBoy Peters, constantly holding out while laying around noshing on pork rinds and cheeseburgers, neglecting his body, and demanding even more money while still under a freshly re-negotiated contract;

2- The Bills will not overpay to keep Chandler - nor should they - but they certainly recognize his talent, his value, and the value of the TE position in Gailey's offense - they will make him a decent and fair offer;

3- Chandler will be a Buffalo Bill in in 2012 and beyond...

19 and 0 baby!!!! B-)

GO BILLSSS!!!!

"I expect to win every game." - Chan Gailey

Edited by The Senator

Fred Davis is a drug risk. He was entering into his free agent year with the potential for big bucks. What does he do? He gets suspended for drug use i.e. weed. How do you explain someone continuing to use the weed knowing he has already been caught and are subjected to increased teasting. What a dope! Although he was suspended last year the Skins want to keep him. Last year, he had a breakout year. There is a chance the Skins will franchise him or give him a one year contract or a contract with certain safeguards in it.

Your John Carlson suggestion is appealing. At times you do surprise me. :devil:

I'm surprised you can talk about anything other than how Ralph is cheap.

I'm surprised you can talk about anything other than how Ralph is cheap.

I can also talk about how incompetent that buffoon owner is. Do you want to get into some of the incredibly weird decisions he has made that has shackled this franchise? When you have a clueless owner such as Ralph it is understandable that a franchise can be bad for a generation in a system designed for parity. How anyone can defend him and his stewardship of this franchise is very perplexing. :devil:

Seems the interviewer is really in touch with the pulse of OBD:

Lining Chandler up alongside fellow tight end, David Nelson, would give the Bills the makings of a dominant tandem on offense that could help carry this team to the next the level in the years to come.

As far as other TEs go, Fred Davis isn't an option. The Skins will keep him but in doing so they may drop Chris Cooley who had problems with injuries last year but if recovered is a solid option.

I can also talk about how incompetent that buffoon owner is. Do you want to get into some of the incredibly weird decisions he has made that has shackled this franchise? When you have a clueless owner such as Ralph it is understandable that a franchise can be bad for a generation in a system designed for parity. How anyone can defend him and his stewardship of this franchise is very perplexing. :devil:

True. I'll never understand his weird decision to keep an NFL franchise in a city that's been dying for over 3 decades. But I thank him for it all the same. ;)

One of my irrelevant concerns is how Chandler really feels about this team. When a fellow has bounced around and then had a decent enough season here with Buddy and Chan he feels he should use us as a stepping stone?

Like Stevie in a way. Who was a very late draft pick and has developed his skills while with the Bills.

I realize i am terrible at business and my expectations are ridiculous, but Scott wants to test the waters after we tender him an offer. Well happy sailing. Because when your heart is broken you will skulk back home. Take the lower pay and be dissapointed with life.

hopefully we grab that Engnew(?) fella

I always want a guy who is thrilled to be playing football in the NFL. Like i said unrealistic perspectiveon my part. But he should negotiate with us and take what is his best offer from us also. :angry:

Edited by 3rdand12

True. I'll never understand his weird decision to keep an NFL franchise in a city that's been dying for over 3 decades. But I thank him for it all the same. ;)

This so-called dying city has enriched this very subsidized man beyond his imagination. :rolleyes:

One of my irrelevant concerns is how Chandler really feels about this team. When a fellow has bounced around and then had a decent enough season here with Buddy and Chan he feels he should use us as a stepping stone? Like Stevie in a way. Who was a very late draft pick and has developed his skills while with the Bills.

I realize i am terrible at business and my expectations are ridiculous, but Scott wants to test the waters after we tender him an offer. Well happy sailing. Because when your heart is broken you will skulk back home. Take the lower pay and be dissapointed with life.

hopefully we grab that Engnew(?) fella

I always want a guy who is thrilled to be playing football in the NFL. Like i said unrealistic perspectiveon my part. But he should negotiate with us and take what is his best offer from us also. :angry:

I feel kind of the same way. I usually scoff at the idea of loyalty to the team, because the team will cut you as soon as they have a better option without a second thought. At the same time, given that he's finally found an opportunity where he gets playing time in an offense where he has been able to find success, it seems foolish to go elsewhere unless someone is really willing to give him a significantly higher payday.

When your break out year is 389 rec yds the crash back to earth can be quick and painful.

This so-called dying city has enriched this very subsidized man beyond his imagination. :rolleyes:

Over half the league is subsidized, John. If not for that, there would be far fewer teams. And it's the only reason there is still a team in Buffalo. Had there not been a CBA and revenue sharing, the Bills would have been long gone. And even with revenue sharing, it hasn't stopped other owners from pulling up stakes.