Have I Mentioned Recently How Much I Hate Bicyclists?

Chef Jim

As I recall, motorcyclists are supposed to ride to the left side of their lane, so drivers in front of them can see them better in their mirrors.

As for drifting over farther...maybe they just like you, Jack.

Plus, you are not to ride directly in the center due to to oil film left there.

Edited by BuffaloBud

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate when drivers think they have to give a huge cushion to a biker on the road. This morning I had to slam my brakes because some guy coming the other way decided to give a bike a 6 foot cushion when passing it. So I have this car coming straight towards me that is 3/4s of the way into my lane. It was a very narrow road with parked cars to my right, so I couldn't move over at all. I'd hate to break it to you buddy, but if someone is going to have to slow down because of a biker in the road, it's not the guy traveling in the opposite direction. The lack of patience on the roads out here in Boston is mind blowing.

I hate when drivers think they have to give a huge cushion to a biker on the road. This morning I had to slam my brakes because some guy coming the other way decided to give a bike a 6 foot cushion when passing it. So I have this car coming straight towards me that is 3/4s of the way into my lane. It was a very narrow road with parked cars to my right, so I couldn't move over at all. I'd hate to break it to you buddy, but if someone is going to have to slow down because of a biker in the road, it's not the guy traveling in the opposite direction. The lack of patience on the roads out here in Boston is mind blowing.

Ow my gawd....you had to....step on your brakes???!!???

The horror.

In other news.....heres a smug, arrogant cyclist trying to tell drivers what to do.

The nerve......

http://www.bikerumor...driving-slowly/

Edited by RkFast

The horror.

In other news.....heres a smug, arrogant cyclist trying to tell drivers what to do.

The nerve......

It's not a biker complain in case you didn't notice, it's a car complaint. Call me crazy, but I'm not too happy when I'm faced with a head on collision with another car in any scenario, let alone one where the driver somehow thinks s/he's more entitled to the lane for opposing traffic than someone who is actually driving in that lane.

The biker was perfectly fine this time around, riding as close to the sidewalk as humanly possible.

The horror.

The nerve......

So you guys need a NASCAR geek to speak for you?? :lol:

BTW we're not arguing whether or not you have the same rights. We're arguing whether or not your bicycle brethren realize they have to follow the same rules.

• 1 month later...

So glad this thread got revived.....

http://www.bicyclelaw.com/blog/index.cfm/2012/12/3/Red-Light-Runners

The reason most often-cited by motorists for the animosity between motorists and cyclists is the disregard that cyclists have for the traffic laws. And one complaint in particular always comes up in any discussion about cyclists—the well-known disregard that cyclists have for stop signs and red lights.

Angry, allegedly law-abiding motorists have convinced the [California] Legislature to passed a law that would cut by half the fine for a rolling turn at a red light (vetoed by Governor Schwarzenegger), and have twice in the past two years prevailed upon the Legislature to pass laws cutting red light camera fines (vetoed by Governor Brown) and limiting the use of red light cameras (also vetoed by Governor Brown).

Have I metioned lately how much I hate hypocrites?

I have no idea what the thought in the rolling turn at a red fine, but the red light cameras are a complete money gouging scam. So I can't hold that one against them at all. I'd guess that the rolling turn at a red light thing is also tied into the red light cameras, but the fact that it was two different governors makes me unsure on that one.

So glad this thread got revived.....

http://www.bicyclelaw.com/blog/index.cfm/2012/12/3/Red-Light-Runners

The reason most often-cited by motorists for the animosity between motorists and cyclists is the disregard that cyclists have for the traffic laws. And one complaint in particular always comes up in any discussion about cyclists—the well-known disregard that cyclists have for stop signs and red lights.

Angry, allegedly law-abiding motorists have convinced the [California] Legislature to passed a law that would cut by half the fine for a rolling turn at a red light (vetoed by Governor Schwarzenegger), and have twice in the past two years prevailed upon the Legislature to pass laws cutting red light camera fines (vetoed by Governor Brown) and limiting the use of red light cameras (also vetoed by Governor Brown).

Have I metioned lately how much I hate hypocrites?

But they're still handing out tickets for rolling stops right? When the start having out tickets to bicyclists that don't just roll through but blow straight through you can get back to me.

I was walking with my newborn son yesterday in a sling (he turned 2 weeks old last Friday) and while on the sidewalk had to hop out of the way of a bicyclist (he was turning the corner and came into the sidewalk quickly from the street.) Mother !@#$er.

That's what walking sticks are for -- to jam in the !@#$er's spokes.

I got a question about motorcyclists. Why does it seem they like to be right on the yellow line when I'm in the opposite lane traveling towards them. And I don't mean they are there already, they seem to drift towards it as traffic comes towards them? I'm not drifting over to them, I'm staying in my lane, but lately it seems I see a lot of them do this. They go from the middle of their lane to the yellow line.

Can't say I'm familiar with this practice. Must either be an optical illusion, subconscious drifiting, or mental retardation (some of these guys don't really get the concept of physics)..

As I recall, motorcyclists are supposed to ride to the left side of their lane, so drivers in front of them can see them better in their mirrors.

As for drifting over farther...maybe they just like you, Jack.

Two words: Target Fixation. The #1 cause of crashes for beginning and/or crappy motorcyclists. You tend to go where your eyes are pointing. So if you stare at the oncoming traffic (or for that matter the outside edge of a tight turn) -- you end up getting way too chummy with it. Same thing applies in an automobile, but the effect is much more pronounced on a bike. After 25+ years riding I have very different reactions: I see where all the moving objects are in the scene, and my brain automatically plots a course that gives me the most clearance possible from all of them, weighted by how erratically they're driving. Definitely steer well away from the center line, as I have had oncoming vehicles cross over into my side of the road more times than I can recall.

Tom -- all other things being equal, it's not a bad idea to ride left-of-center to maximize visibility in the side/rear view, but I put very little faith that the average driver will actually see me more than about 10% of the time. Just too small a profile to register. Also, other things are seldom equal, what with distracted drivers, crap in the lane like dirt, oil, wet leaves, couches (yes couches -- friend of mine's brother once hit a full-size Sofa on the freeway doing 90mph on his Ninja -- not pretty), and assorted other hazards.

Sorry, I just had to! I guess this gives new meaning to the term: Couch Trip! Anway, did he live?

Amazingly, yes. Helmet probably saved his life, and boots saved his feet (well, mostly; did break one or both legs as I recall). But was probably top 10 all-time worst cases of road-rash ever.

I found something far worse than clueless bikers the other day. I don't know if it was some kid screwing around or what, but I was in a line of three or four cars waiting to turn left while this person in a motorize wheelchair/scooter kept going back and forth across the crosswalk. It had to have been one of the most confusing things I've ever seen.

Edited by shrader

Two words: Target Fixation. The #1 cause of crashes for beginning and/or crappy motorcyclists. You tend to go where your eyes are pointing. So if you stare at the oncoming traffic (or for that matter the outside edge of a tight turn) -- you end up getting way too chummy with it. Same thing applies in an automobile, but the effect is much more pronounced on a bike. After 25+ years riding I have very different reactions: I see where all the moving objects are in the scene, and my brain automatically plots a course that gives me the most clearance possible from all of them, weighted by how erratically they're driving. Definitely steer well away from the center line, as I have had oncoming vehicles cross over into my side of the road more times than I can recall.

Tom -- all other things being equal, it's not a bad idea to ride left-of-center to maximize visibility in the side/rear view, but I put very little faith that the average driver will actually see me more than about 10% of the time. Just too small a profile to register. Also, other things are seldom equal, what with distracted drivers, crap in the lane like dirt, oil, wet leaves, couches (yes couches -- friend of mine's brother once hit a full-size Sofa on the freeway doing 90mph on his Ninja -- not pretty), and assorted other hazards.

Last year I narrowly dodged a BBQ in the fast lane on a foggy night. So ya, you gotta be diligent on motorcycle, anything can and will happen.