Why blaming Fitz is stupid

C.Biscuit97

I love how bipolar sports fans are. 7 games in, Fitz is the greatest thing ever and a potential MVP candidate. 9 games later (and possible broken ribs that a teammate confirm which he didn't say a word about), he is a scrub and worst QB in the league.

The defense doesn't win championships is complete BS. The main reason the Giants lost 7 games & almost missed the playoffs entirely is because of their defense. Once their front 4 got healthy, they started shutting down teams. They shut down Rodgers and Brady. GB had a top 5 defense in 2010. The Ravens and 49ers could have both won the championship games this year because of their top 5 defenses starting QBs who may be worse than Fitz.

Here's the average points given up by playoff teams this year http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/totalPointsPerGame/position/defense :

Pitt 14.2

SF 14.3

Balt 16.6

Hou 17.4 (all the top 4 teams made the playoffs and the number 5 team CLE was coordinated by the great Dick Jauron but I digress)

Ciny 20.2

NO 21.2

NE 21.4

ATL 21.9

GB 22.4

DET 24.2

DEN 24.4

NYG 25 (and gave up 14 points game in the playoffs)

That is an average of 20.3 for all the playoff teams. The Bills went 6-10. They gave up 27.1 points/ game. They averaged 23.3 point/game. Hmm. It seems that the Bills' offense would have done all right with a playoff type defense (not to mention all the extra benefits of having a good defense - field position, TOP, etc.)

Maybe Fitz isn't the devil. Upgrade the defense. I want 3 or 4 pass rushers. I think Mario Williams is a bit overrated (Texans didn't miss a beat without him and he has been injury prone) but sure, throw the house at him. Give Merriman another shot. I still hate that they cut Maybin. Bottomline, in a pass first league, YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH PASSRUSHERS. I want 3 or 4 picks on pass rushers. They need to study the Giants model to a T.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how bipolar sports fans are. 7 games in, Fitz is the greatest thing ever and a potential MVP candidate. 9 games later (and possible broken ribs that a teammate confirm which he didn't say a word about), he is a scrub and worst QB in the league.

The defense doesn't win championships is complete BS. The main reason the Giants lost 7 games & almost missed the playoffs entirely is because of their defense. Once their front 4 got healthy, they started shutting down teams. They shut down Rodgers and Brady. GB had a top 5 defense in 2010. The Ravens and 49ers could have both won the championship games this year because of their top 5 defenses starting QBs who may be worse than Fitz.

Here's the average points given up by playoff teams this year http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/totalPointsPerGame/position/defense :

Pitt 14.2

SF 14.3

Balt 16.6

Hou 17.4 (all the top 4 teams made the playoffs and the number 5 team CLE was coordinated by the great Dick Jauron but I digress)

Ciny 20.2

NO 21.2

NE 21.4

ATL 21.9

GB 22.4

DET 24.2

DEN 24.4

That is an average of 20.3 for all the playoff teams. The Bills went 6-10. They gave up 27.1 points/ game. They averaged 23.3 point/game. Hmm. It seems that the Bills' offense would have done all right with a playoff type defense (not to mention all the extra benefits of having a good defense - field position, TOP, etc.)

Maybe Fitz isn't the devil. Upgrade the defense. I want 3 or 4 pass rushers. I think Mario Williams is a bit overrated (Texans didn't miss a beat without him and he has been injury prone) but sure, throw the house at him. Give Merriman another shot. I still hate that they cut Maybin. Bottomline, in a pass first league, YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH PASSRUSHERS. I want 3 or 4 picks on pass rushers. They need to study the Giants model to a T.

Then here's hoping they get an Eli Manning.

Then here's hoping they get an Eli Manning.

You mean the Eli who led the league in INTs in 2010 or the one who won the SB with the worst record ever because his defense got healthier? Look, Eli has improved a lot but he was on the verge of getting run out of town (and the only reason he wasn't is becuase their wasn't a better backup and his last name).

Look if you can find an elite guy, get him. But right now, I'm more jealous of the Giants pass rush.

You mean the Eli who led the league in INTs in 2010 or the one who won the SB with the worst record ever because his defense got healthier? Look, Eli has improved a lot but he was on the verge of getting run out of town (and the only reason he wasn't is becuase their wasn't a better backup and his last name).

Look if you can find an elite guy, get him. But right now, I'm more jealous of the Giants pass rush.

I mean the Eli with two SB rings earned through two fourth quarter comebacks.

However, you can side with PDad, who just stated he'd take Fitz over Eli. :oops:

Edited by Marauder24

Since 2005, Fitz's win loss record is something similar to 20-35-1, with the "one tie" coming from McNabb's OT debacle!

Granted all of Fitz's starts were with the Rams, Bengals and Bills, of which have been NOT been the best teams to play on in the past 8 season!

EDIT: One more thing I'd like to point out, "it's tough to win in the NFL!"

Edited by KollegeStudnet

Pitt 14.2

SF 14.3

Balt 16.6

Ciny 20.2

NO 21.2

NE 21.4

ATL 21.9

GB 22.4

DET 24.2

DEN 24.4

Right on man. This speaks to football being a team sport. The QB can't be looked at in a vacuum. Though the most important position on the team it is the position most dependent and reliant upon the talent around it, the scheme and the team. People are so caught up in the ESPN buzz word opinion making game that they have somehow forgotten teams that win generally play good defense as well or at least when they need to. The best defenses in the playoffs made it the farthest and the best play off defense won it all.

You bring up an excellent point that a good defense benefits the offense in field position and opportunities on that side of the ball. This will take pressure off of the offense to score 28+ points a game and improve their field position. It was very apparent that after we suffered some injuries that this team went into pass happy panic mode in the 2nd quarter in many games. This also had the unfortunate side effect of reducing the impact of two of our best weapons on offense FJ and Spiller who emerged this year and proved he is a very capable pure RB both rushing and receiving. In his 3rd year hopefully he gets better at all the little things like blocking.

With a full off season and some health I fully expect we will see the team that started the first 5 - 7 games last year every week. The sky is not falling. Let's support this team and wish them health and good luck.

I mean the Eli with two SB rings earned through two fourth quarter comebacks.

However, you can side with PDad, who just stated he'd take Fitz over Eli. :oops:

Ah a revisionist historian! I said I would take Fitz over Eli in OUR system. Take away Eli's 8 year stability of coaching and scheme in NY, his pro bowl WRs, the Giants awesome defense that was able to actually get to Brady and what do you have? A great unknown in Eli. I will take Fitz over him in OUR system due to his familiarity and because I know that Fitz was a top 5 QB in the league and leading it at one point before the train wreck of injuries hit us.

HUGE difference. :oops:

Edited by PDaDdy

Right on man. This speaks to football being a team sport. The QB can't be looked at in a vacuum. Though the most important position on the team it is the position most dependent and reliant upon the talent around it, the scheme and the team. People are so caught up in the ESPN buzz word opinion making game that they have somehow forgotten teams that win generally play good defense as well or at least when they need to. The best defenses in the playoffs made it the farthest and the best play off defense won it all.

You bring up an excellent point that a good defense benefits the offense in field position and opportunities on that side of the ball. This will take pressure off of the offense to score 28+ points a game and improve their field position. It was very apparent that after we suffered some injuries that this team went into pass happy panic mode in the 2nd quarter in many games. This also had the unfortunate side effect of reducing the impact of two of our best weapons on offense FJ and Spiller who emerged this year and proved he is a very capable pure RB both rushing and receiving. In his 3rd year hopefully he gets better at all the little things like blocking.

With a full off season and some health I fully expect we will see the team that started the first 5 - 7 games last year every week. The sky is not falling. Let's support this team and wish them health and good luck.

Will we also get the benefit of him playing in the same system for 7 years and his far superior WR core?

Ah a revisionist historian! I said I would take Fitz over Eli in OUR system. Take away Eli's 7 year stability of coaching and scheme in NY and his pro bowl WRs and what do you have? A great unknown. I will take Fitz over him in OUR system as I know that he was top 5 in the league and leading it at one point before the train wreck of injuries hit us.

HUGE difference.

I'd continue this battle of wits, but you're only half-armed.

Pitt 14.2

SF 14.3

Balt 16.6

Ciny 20.2

NO 21.2

NE 21.4

ATL 21.9

GB 22.4

DET 24.2

DEN 24.4

Manning threw the most 4th quarter TD passes in a season in NFL history this year. He also recorded the sixth highest passing yardage season in NFL history. In short, his season was incredible.

I don't think anyone argues the need for pass rushers, but the only constant in the Giants season was Eli Manning and his passing game, which excelled whether the defense did or not. The Bills passing game is not resilient like that and it does start with the QB.

Fitz is an average QB, but priority #1 in the NFL is getting a franchise QB. They make everyone else look better. Including defenses like the Pats and Giants.

Let's look at the number of INT's thrown, and fumbles lost by each of these playoff QB's

Ben Roethlisberger 14 INT 5 lost fumbles

Alex Smith 5 INT 2 lost fumbles

Joe Flacco 12 INT 6 lost fumbles

Andy Dalton 13 INT 2 lost fumbles

Drew Brees 14 INT 1 lost fumble

Tom Brady 12 INT 2 lost fumbles

Matt Ryan 12 INT 3 lost fumbles

Aaron Rodgers 6 INT 0 lost fumbles

Matt Stafford 16 INT 1 lost fumble

Tim Tebow 6 INT 6 lost fumbles (14 games, 11 starts)

Eli Manning 16 INT 4 lost fumbles

Ryan Fitzpatrick 23 INT 2 lost fumbles

Fitz's INT's are roughly DOUBLE the average of these playoff QB's and the MOST of any QB in the league! :sick: Defense does help win championships. Still, no defense in the world can overcome a QB who insists on giving the opponent the ball.

Manning threw the most 4th quarter TD passes in a season in NFL history this year. He also recorded the sixth highest passing yardage season in NFL history. In short, his season was incredible.

I don't think anyone argues the need for pass rushers, but the only constant in the Giants season was Eli Manning and his passing game, which excelled whether the defense did or not. The Bills passing game is not resilient like that and it does start with the QB.

Fitz is an average QB, but priority #1 in the NFL is getting a franchise QB. They make everyone else look better. Including defenses like the Pats and Giants.

Yeah, but what stats make him a franchise QB? Lol.

Let's look at the number of INT's thrown, and fumbles lost by each of these playoff QB's

Fitz's INT's are roughly DOUBLE the average of these playoff QB's and the MOST of any QB in the league! :sick: Defense does help win championships. Still, no defense in the world can overcome a QB who insists on giving the opponent the ball.

How many of those 23 INTs were due to situations in which the ball bounced right off the hands of one of our All Pro receivers ? Also, how many were in situations where we were throwing the ball practically every down to try to catch up since our All Pro defense was letting the opponent score at will? Fitz obviously is not a hall of fame QB but football is a team sport...

Edited by prissythecat

Ah a revisionist historian! I said I would take Fitz over Eli in OUR system. Take away Eli's 8 year stability of coaching and scheme in NY, his pro bowl WRs, the Giants awesome defense that was able to actually get to Brady and what do you have? A great unknown in Eli. I will take Fitz over him in OUR system due to his familiarity and because I know that Fitz was a top 5 QB in the league and leading it at one point before the train wreck of injuries hit us.

HUGE difference. :oops:

Listen Fitz might grow into a good nfl qb. He has some good attributes and like Eli who took a few years to start playing at such a high level, More starts combined with more talent at wr might push him over the hump,

but our beloved Fitz will never, not in 100 tries make that throw to manningham to help win the game. Elis arm is money and his pocket prescense and instincts are remarkable. Not the leader his big bro is but very good none the less.

How many of those teams have a receiving core where their highest drafted receiver is a 7th rounder? I also love how everyone is completely ignoring that David Nelson said Fitz broke ribs in the Washington game. Fitz never once used it as an excuse, yet it is completely foolish to not recognize the dropoff in his numbers.

Look, I realize Fitz won't be in the Brady, Brees, or Rodgers category. But who is throwing to: Stevie Johnson (who litterally did nothing before he started playing with Fitz) and his merry bunch of undrafted receivers. Does anyone expect any rookie QB would have done any better with that group?

You draft a franchise QB if one is available. But as much as I love RG3, you don't murder your draft for him. Build a better team and let Fitz play.

Pitt 14.2

SF 14.3

Balt 16.6

Ciny 20.2

NO 21.2

NE 21.4

ATL 21.9

GB 22.4

DET 24.2

DEN 24.4

You're talking about a very small minority of fans that have said "Fitz is the greatest thing ever and a potential MVP candidate" and now hate him.

Edited by Triple Threat

F$tzmoney is a back up QB at best. The guy's history says it all. He has a pretty good first half of football, the Fans and FO love him, throw money at him and then he RETURNS back to a back up caliber QB. You can throw the best defense together in the NFL and F$tzmoney is going to throw about the same number of INTs as TDs. Out of 7 years, only 2 did he throw more TDs then INTs. This year: 24 TDs vs 23 INTs. Thats not going to win games if you give it to the other team week in and week out. He is only accurate from -5 to 3 yards as well. Yeah, yeah, yeah, He has no one to throw to. Got it. That didn't really help him in Cincinnati. Chad OC, TJ Housh, and those other guys they had there. Out of 8 games, taking over for Palmer, he throw 8 TD and 9 picks WITH OC, HOUSH, J Simpson and A. Caldwell. If F$tzpatrick was a good QB, he will still be on the Rams or Bengals. Instead the Bills grabbed him to back up and the he took over after years of epic failures in the QB department. Adam Sandler would be good at this point. The Bills way overpaid a guy for no reason other then he had a horse shoe where the sun don't shine and the Defense was taking the ball away 3-4 times a game. So I guess you are right. Defense does win games, not the QB who has more opportunities with the ball because of the Defense.

Pitt 14.2

SF 14.3

Balt 16.6

Ciny 20.2

NO 21.2

NE 21.4

ATL 21.9

GB 22.4

DET 24.2

DEN 24.4

No need to take sides in this argument; they are both responsible for the bad season

I don't think anyone in their right mind is blaming Fitz - just the injuries alone is enough, throw in a defense that gave up 21 or 28 points in the first quarter about every week made it a little easier to play D on anyone. Number wise it's ugly but between last ditch down 25 point forced throws that were picked and the off the hands of guys who aren't NFL receivers or really NFL players added to the mess. He's a good quarter back when like all QB's has players around him they can move the ball and score. When you have no players around you and one of the leagues worst defenses your not going to look good.

Pittsburgh won games scoring 17-13-14-20-13-23 Bills lost games scoring 21-23-24-24-20- you can win those with a defense. Also scored 41-38-34-31-40 you cant win consistently forced to score 40 pts to win

Edited by CardinalScotts