Brady Quinn at 2nd string QB

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy is on his way out in Denver. What do you think about Brady as Fitzpatrick's backup. The guy looked pretty sharp in the preseason. He never really seemed to get a break aside from one dis functional year in Cleveland.

Really he could be a better option than Tyler Thigpen

He's worth a shot, and would come cheap.

So far all I'm getting from you is that you don't like Mike Silver and/or you really like Tim Tebow.

You're making vague accusations at the writer but only Silver and those that he interviewed for the GQ piece know what was said and how fair the writer is being.

You're also accusing a pretty respected poster of "jumping to conclusions."

The fact that Quinn is distancing himself from his own remarks is something that happens dozens of times a week in the world of sports coverage.

If I had a dime for every time I heard an athlete complain that his comments had been taken out of context, I'd be a rich man.

Were you in the room when these interviews were taking place?

Thanks, bro. Could not have said it better myself.

Bubby Brister would be a better option than Thigpen.

Haha, sad but true. I actually thought Thigpen was a good pickup when he was signed, but I will admit when I am wrong...

Also sad but true are Quinn's comments. That whole thing got a little blown out of proportion IMO. I completely agree that Tebow took credit for great work done by other teammates and great coaching. Also as Quinn stated, there was a lot of luck involved to get wins despite awful QB play.

Oh yeah...No to Quinn going to the Bills, the guy is a career underachiever. He might be an upgrade over Tebow though.

I like it. I'd like to see Thigpen cut, and bring in Quinn and Dennis Dixon.

He's worth a shot, and would come cheap.

Yep. We should really be in the market for a top backup QB. They will come cheap because they know that if Fitz struggles in the beginning of the season like he did at the end of last season they have a legit shot to "try out" to be the next Bills QB. Although, I like Dennis Dixon as the best chance to become that. He is the type of QB Gailey likes (strong arm, mobile, )

This is exactly what we need. That way every time Fitz throws an incomplete pass some smacktard can start a thread about how Quinn should be starting.

A valid point to be worried about. But was also need a solid #2. If Fitz gets hurt right now, the season is a done. Fitz is slightly above average, Thigpen is terrible. Any decent backup QB will be getting calls to be played when Fitz throws an int, etc. He kind of deserves it though after how he finished out 2011. We need a backup w/ NFL experience, and Gailey should come out and say that Fitz has at least the first 5 or so games to get it together before he will "consider" other options.

This is exactly what we need. That way every time Fitz throws an incomplete pass some smacktard can start a thread about how Quinn should be starting.

To be honest I'd rather deal with those threads rather than worry your backup QB can't get it done if Fitz goes down.

Having watched Quinn play in Cleveland, I do think he still has some upside in this league. After what he did to Tebow, there's no way I want him on our team. It'll be interesting to see how much longer Quinn is even in the NFL.

I am going to ask a dumb question...why does everyone think Tyler Thigpen is so remarkably awful? I know he had some bad moments in pre-season games (the ball tossed at his head during the Skins game was one of my favorite Bills hilights of the year), but he has been productive, at times, as a starter in other cities. What is up with all the hate?

Not sure about Brady Quinn, who has never been productive in the NFL. However,I will just never be able to get this image out of my head...suddenly "Tebowing" doesn't seem so bad :sick: :

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.blogcdn.com/www.aolnews.com/media/2007/05/quinn-cup-1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.aolnews.com/2007/05/03/brady-quinn-loves-packages/&usg=__KYLsXZ9qIDq0LFHeCl5T4fyUqqU=&h=377&w=425&sz=32&hl=en&start=203&zoom=1&tbnid=o0_huUVsckV03M:&tbnh=112&tbnw=126&ei=WAdFT8qqBaX_sQKZh8zCDw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbrady%2Bquinn%2Bfriends%26start%3D189%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1

Edited by Buftex

I am going to ask a dumb question...why does everyone think Tyler Thigpen is so remarkably awful? I know he had some bad moments in pre-season games (the ball tossed at his head during the Skins game was one of my favorite Bills hilights of the year), but he has been productive, at times, as a starter in other cities. What is up with all the hate?

Not sure about Brady Quinn, who has never been productive in the NFL. However,I will just never be able to get this image out of my head...suddenly "Tebowing" doesn't seem so bad :sick: :

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.blogcdn.com/www.aolnews.com/media/2007/05/quinn-cup-1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.aolnews.com/2007/05/03/brady-quinn-loves-packages/&usg=__KYLsXZ9qIDq0LFHeCl5T4fyUqqU=&h=377&w=425&sz=32&hl=en&start=203&zoom=1&tbnid=o0_huUVsckV03M:&tbnh=112&tbnw=126&ei=WAdFT8qqBaX_sQKZh8zCDw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbrady%2Bquinn%2Bfriends%26start%3D189%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1

The fact that he looked pretty good (IMO), on an awful Chiefs team with Gailey, is why I thought he was a good signing. However what I have seen from him in Buffalo (yes, limited), has been absolutely awful. He also looked pretty bad with the Fins.

The guy is also wildly inaccurate, in his "best" season (Cheifs), he completed 54% of his passes. A putrid number. I once thought he had promise, but have since been swayed from that opinion.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I'd like to see Thigpen after an off-season.

Guys like Thigpen and Brad Smith suffered this year because they could not join the team when camp started.

I think he will look better this year. If he has to make some starts, Gailey will make some adjustments, just like he did in 2008.

The fact that he looked pretty good (IMO), on an awful Chiefs team with Gailey, is why I thought he was a good signing. However what I have seen from him in Buffalo (yes, limited), has been absolutely awful. He also looked pretty bad with the Fins.

The guy is also wildly inaccurate, in his "best" season (Cheifs), he completed 54% of his passes. A putrid number. I once thought he had promise, but have since been swayed from that opinion.

I am not saying your wrong, but I would have to see more of him, in Buffalo, to make that call. If I recall, when he had his good season in KC, a lot of it was predicated on his mobility, maybe a more than his accuracy. Kind of a "big play" QB, who, yeah, throws a lot of incomplete passes. But, that is why he is a backup. He may just be one of those guys who needs to get into the groove. I really don't think you gain a whole lot by dumping him, for Brady Quinn.

I'd like to see Thigpen after an off-season.

Guys like Thigpen and Brad Smith suffered this year because they could not join the team when camp started.

I think he will look better this year. If he has to make some starts, Gailey will make some adjustments, just like he did in 2008.

:thumbsup: Good points!

I am not saying your wrong, but I would have to see more of him, in Buffalo, to make that call. If I recall, when he had his good season in KC, a lot of it was predicated on his mobility, maybe a more than his accuracy. Kind of a "big play" QB, who, yeah, throws a lot of incomplete passes. But, that is why he is a backup. He may just be one of those guys who needs to get into the groove. I really don't think you gain a whole lot by dumping him, for Brady Quinn.

I can only speak for myself in saying I don't think he's "remarkably awful" but he wasn't too impressive last year for many of the reasons turbosrrgood covered.

But, I'm not sure that Thigpen can get it done anymore, not saying for sure, just saying he's done little to prove he can. Certainly I will change my opinion when/if he proves otherwise so I'm not condemning him.

My other bias in opinion is that at this point I'd rather see a backup quarterback with more upside than Thigpen. I would rather see Fitz in a mentoring role because: 1. I don't think Fitz needs Thigpen to be a mentor 2. We need to start grooming Fitz's replacement.

Brady Quinn has only played in 14 NFL games, started 12 of them, all with the Browns. In his last few games there, Quinn started making quick decisions with his passes, really dealing the ball. To me, he looked like he was rushing his throws and that was affecting his accuracy. Obviously he's done nothing in Denver but with all the FO instability it's hard to say what the reality is there.

Up until his Tebow comments, I felt Quinn still had some decent upside. After seeing his snarky, petulant comments about Tebow forget him. I don't disagree with the gist of his comments, but as a pro teammate and backup you just don't say things like that unless you're a bona fide a-hole. Hopefully Quinn learns from this and grows up.

I can only speak for myself in saying I don't think he's "remarkably awful" but he wasn't too impressive last year for many of the reasons turbosrrgood covered.

But, I'm not sure that Thigpen can get it done anymore, not saying for sure, just saying he's done little to prove he can. Certainly I will change my opinion when/if he proves otherwise so I'm not condemning him.

My other bias in opinion is that at this point I'd rather see a backup quarterback with more upside than Thigpen. I would rather see Fitz in a mentoring role because: 1. I don't think Fitz needs Thigpen to be a mentor 2. We need to start grooming Fitz's replacement.

Brady Quinn has only played in 14 NFL games, started 12 of them, all with the Browns. In his last few games there, Quinn started making quick decisions with his passes, really dealing the ball. To me, he looked like he was rushing his throws and that was affecting his accuracy. Obviously he's done nothing in Denver but with all the FO instability it's hard to say what the reality is there.

Up until his Tebow comments, I felt Quinn still had some decent upside. After seeing his snarky, petulant comments about Tebow forget him. I don't disagree with the gist of his comments, but as a pro teammate and backup you just don't say things like that unless you're a bona fide a-hole. Hopefully Quinn learns from this and grows up.

They just signed Fitzpatrick to a 6 year deal...he is only 29, which is about prime age for many QB's. Unless you presume that Fitz just sucks, or is not the answer (and maybe that is how you feel, but the Bills obviously don't), I am not sure that finding his replacement, when you just spent a decent penny to sign his backup last year, is a super high priority. In case you missed it, the Bills don't spend lavishly. Thigpen it is!