Did Ralph pick Spiller?

Jerry Jabber

114 members have voted

1. 1. Did Ralph pick Spiller?

2. 2. Is Ralph meddling hurting (or has hurt) the team?

How can anyone have scratched their heads, or blame Ralph, when from the moment he got here Gailey talked about needing "a quick, waterbug type Running Back".

It was a frustrating pick as it wasn't a huge need, but Gailey basically told everyone in February who we were drafting in April.

It was probably one of those "runners" that the Cryptkeeper talked about in one of his interviews this year. Next up, "tight ends that doesn't get injured."

"We think he’s a good quarterback, and we’re going to stick with him and get him some better players, get him some runners, some tight ends that don’t get injured and some wide receivers and we’ll be OK."

- Ralph Wilson

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the second that they literally ran to the podium to make this selection, I have thought it to be Mr. Wilson's order. The "excitement" comment lends itself to profit motive/ticket sales.

Let's see if Trent Richardson goes in the top 10. Is there anybody here who prefers Spiller to Richardson?

It was probably one of those "runners" that the Cryptkeeper talked about in one of his interviews this year. Next up, "tight ends that doesn't get injured."

"We think he’s a good quarterback, and we’re going to stick with him and get him some better players, get him some runners, some tight ends that don’t get injured and some wide receivers and we’ll be OK."

- Ralph Wilson

Thanks for pointing that out. Now, all of us shouldn't be shocked if the Bills draft a TE in the first round. Granted, TE is a need, but pass rushers are the more important ones. But, the Cryptkeeper runs the show, so be prepared for a TE.

From the second that they literally ran to the podium to make this selection, I have thought it to be Mr. Wilson's order. The "excitement" comment lends itself to profit motive/ticket sales.

Let's see if Trent Richardson goes in the top 10. Is there anybody here who prefers Spiller to Richardson?

As I stated in a prior posting I'm sure before the draft that Nix/Gailey told the owner what their draft plans were and why they favored this particular player. Would Ralph be giddy at the thought of a prospect who might be an exciting player? Of course. That being said I doubt very much that the owner had much knowledge about the players available on the board. The owner is in his 90s and he is for natural resons (age) not able to keep up with the details of the football operation.

While you look back and still have major reservations about the Spiller pick, I'm even more excited about what he offers as an impact big-play player. Where you should focus more of your attention is on the second round and to a lesser degree third round pick. I very much believe that Troup was over drafted and I have serious concerns that they are not putting Carrington in a position to utilize his strengths.

Looking back, last year's draft was a high quality draft. In Nix's first draft, the Spiller year, is at this point a very mediocre draft. Maybe there was still some negative Modrak influence in his first draft? I still very much believe that Spiller is going to be a special player for us. As I stated on many occasions I'm not going to criticize Nix for taking a top ten talent in a top ten position. That is in general the right approach to take.

Edited by JohnC

Bill, you're a great poster, but your crusades have to stop. Now I realize when a player struggles for a year and half, they probably should be cut. But once the runningback who was leading the NFL in total yards got hurt, Spiller played very well. He ran tough and is an excellent receiver. You can argue the need of the position, but he is a good player and was the BPA.

And people need to stop with the idea of Ralph meddling. 1) It's team, so he can do whatever the hell he wants. 2) He gave TD complete power and he screwed him. I really don't believe RW has any say in personnel anymore.

Bill, you're a great poster, but your crusades have to stop. Now I realize when a player struggles for a year and half, they probably should be cut. But once the runningback who was leading the NFL in total yards got hurt, Spiller played very well. He ran tough and is an excellent receiver. You can argue the need of the position, but he is a good player and was the BPA.

And people need to stop with the idea of Ralph meddling. 1) It's team, so he can do whatever the hell he wants. 2) He gave TD complete power and he screwed him. I really don't believe RW has any say in personnel anymore.

Good post. If anything, Chan and buddy made it painfully obvious that they wanted a guy exactly like Spiller...more than a month before the draft. I don't doubt that Ralph has been meddling in the past, but given his advanced age, and the information being sent out by Chan and nix that offseason, there's little doubt that THEY wanted that pick and it had nothing to do with Ralph.

Leading up to the draft none of our receivers could be categorized as big play receivers, including Stevie Johnson. (I strongly suspect that Gailey was looking to get rid of Evans even before the season started. I'm also sure that Littman and the business boys were happy to lose Evans's salary.) The offense had little speed for the defenses to account for. Nix/Gailey were trying to add a big play player to a very stolid offense. Whether anyone agrees or disagrees with the Spiller pick you can't fault the reasoning behind the selection.

Even with the Spiller, little man selection, in general Nix has added more bulk and muscle to the roster. The roster is evolving away from the prior regime's lean and quick philosophy to a stronger and bulkier roster. Sometimes too much attention is paid to a singular pick when the best approach is to take a more overview perspective.

i do NOT think ralph made the spiller pick.

i DO think that with Ralph in the war room, that his personnel guys have had from time to time, waste time justifying why they like the player they do. has he ever meddled in the past ?...probably, who wouldn't want to be involved as an owner on draft day offering advice. but, i believe for the most part, he lets his people do their jobs. does anyone have any proof whatsoever that ralph "forced" his guys to pick someone he preferrred, even once ? unfortunately he watched dummies like Jauron pick Maybin. maybe just maybe, ralph should have been making the picks...lol.

regarding Spiller....at the time he probably was the best available player....now in hindsight thats arguable or not true. i think spiller is a heck of a player, but is screwed playing behind fred jackson. green bay didn't really know what they had in aaron rodgers for 4 years, til they parted with brett. spiller aint no rodgers, but he isn't a bust either. when he gets his chance, i think spiller will shine.

i do NOT think ralph made the spiller pick.

i DO think that with Ralph in the war room, that his personnel guys have had from time to time, waste time justifying why they like the player they do. has he ever meddled in the past ?...probably, who wouldn't want to be involved as an owner on draft day offering advice. but, i believe for the most part, he lets his people do their jobs. does anyone have any proof whatsoever that ralph "forced" his guys to pick someone he preferrred, even once ? unfortunately he watched dummies like Jauron pick Maybin. maybe just maybe, ralph should have been making the picks...lol.

regarding Spiller....at the time he probably was the best available player....now in hindsight thats arguable or not true. i think spiller is a heck of a player, but is screwed playing behind fred jackson. green bay didn't really know what they had in aaron rodgers for 4 years, til they parted with brett. spiller aint no rodgers, but he isn't a bust either. when he gets his chance, i think spiller will shine.

No idea about Wilson. But regarding Spiller getting "screwed," he wasn't ready to be a starter his first year. Further, most teams run two running back sets anyway.

On another note, I was ticked we drafted the guy when we had so many holes. But in hindsight, it will be nice to have him and Jackson next year. Spiller should probably be ready for prime time next season.

Crusade? I was one vote out of 93 in a poll that I didn't start, and post #25 in a thread. My view is obviously on the unpopular side, just as your contention that Dick Jauron is a good coach fails to go over all that much.

Should we both just stop posting?

I recently read a statement by Ralph Wilson where he says " if I make it to the breakfast table in the morning its a good day " So Its highly doubt the Bills owner is making the draft picks recently.

Even Jauron had control over the draft, kinda why the Bills drafted so many DB's during his time with Buffalo, and stupid enough to draft a project like Maybin. Again, highly doubtful this owner drafts Maybin if he has total say.

Crusade? I was one vote out of 93 in a poll that I didn't start, and post #25 in a thread. My view is obviously on the unpopular side, just as your contention that Dick Jauron is a good coach fails to go over all that much.

Should we both just stop posting?

If you eliminated the "In Marv We Trust" crowd from this board for their dubious judgment this blog would have a lot more blank space? LOL

Your point about the repetitive first round drafting of a particular position (RB) is sound. Your assessment of the caliber of player Spiller will be is where many people (including myself) differ with you.

By the way you are one of the best, if not the best, posters on this site. Being challenged for not conforming on a particular issue is more of a compliment than a slight. If your position wasn't well thought out and expressed, whether agreed with or not, it would be ignored.

If you eliminated the "In Marv We Trust" crowd from this board for their dubious judgment this blog would have a lot more blank space? LOL

Your point about the repetitive first round drafting of a particular position (RB) is sound. Your assessment of the caliber of player Spiller will be is where many people (including myself) differ with you.

By the way you are one of the best, if not the best, posters on this site. Being challenged for not conforming on a particular issue is more of a compliment than a slight. If your position wasn't well thought out and expressed, whether agreed with or not, it would be ignored.

Thanks Bro! :blush:

This draft will be quite interesting, and one which we cannot even begin to forecast until we see what happens in free agency. Even in a 4/3, I am only seeing 1 legit LB on the roster, whereas I am unimpressed by Sheppard so far. This is unthinkable but true. Yet, I cannot see where the outside pressure will come from in a 4-3. Kelsay? Not happening. Carrington perhaps, but this is a hypothetical reach.

At times I wish they would trade down and take Hightower, who would be a monster imo. We shall see.

PS: If you noticed, nobody answered my question re Spiller vs. Richardson. ;):)

This draft will be quite interesting, and one which we cannot even begin to forecast until we see what happens in free agency. Even in a 4/3, I am only seeing 1 legit LB on the roster, whereas I am unimpressed by Sheppard so far. This is unthinkable but true. Yet, I cannot see where the outside pressure will come from in a 4-3. Kelsay? Not happening. Carrington perhaps, but this is a hypothetical reach.

At times I wish they would trade down and take Hightower, who would be a monster imo. We shall see.

Because the question was silly the way it was framed. Spiller was top ten in his draft class.

I think you are ranking Sheppard lower than where this regime is ranking him. It appears that he is going to be our starting MLB. How good is Sheppard? I can't tell based on his rookie season. In my view it would be a mistake using a first round pick, even a lower first round pick to re-address that position.

I don't see the Bills being too active in free agency, especilly for impact players on the defensive side of the ball. Those types of elite players are very costly. The Wilson era is fading. The organizational strategy (business strategy) is being guided by Littman. The direction of the franchise is going to be anchored within the confines of a robust cash/flow situation that will make the business attractive to buyers when that approaching time comes.

The Bills are going to build through the draft. I also see Nix making stronger efforts to keep his players instead of looking to the outside to bolster the roster. I have no doubt that there will be free agent pickups but they will not be significant type players.

Considering that Nix has to work within the Wilson/Littman business model I think the Nix approach of mostly drafting and retaining one's own players is the best approach to take. Last year, I felt that Nix had a very sound draft. In his first year I thought he did less than an average job. I'm not sure if he was hindered by the Modrak draft reports? If he matches last year's draft performance then the Bills will be a more competitive team. Will they make the playoffs? Not in my opinion. I don't think they have a chance of ever qualifying for the playoffs as long as Wilson remains the owner. Given the restrictive conditions that our franchise is subjected to that doesn't mean that the team won't be more entertaining and competitive.

With respect to your Spiller/Richardson comparison I'm going to aggravate you with my opinion. If you look at a Jackson/Spiller combo vs a Jackson/Richardson combo I would take the Spiller combo because his speed and quickness attributes compliment Jackson more than a Richardson addition would because he has similar attributes to Jackson.

Richardson is going to be ranked at near the top of the draft as far as talent goes. But that doesn't necessarily mean he is going to be drafted at the level where he is ranked because many teams have other priorities to address. There are a number of different building philosophies that have worked. In my view you can be successful, no matter what one's building philosophy is, as long as you evaluate well and draft well. If you have a high quality draft board and stick to it ultimately your team will be successful. Reaching for needs, although can be tempting, in the end will sabotage the development of a team.

Edited by JohnC

Because the question was silly the way it was framed. Spiller was top ten in his draft class.

Yes, he was chosen with the #9. Some mocks show Richardson going earlier, some later. Perhaps I'm a tad slow, but I don't understand what was wrong with the question. I was merely asking which player you, as a Bills fan, would rather have on your team.

ChaNix never struck me as Lynch fans. And Spiller was BPA while Fred had just 1,062 yards, 317 yards receiving, and 4 TD's in 2009, and was 28.

Rebuilding football teams don't have the luxury of strictly taking BPA. That is, unless they're going with a top QB, pass rusher, or perhaps LT and don't have one already. And from a supply and demand perspective, RB's with above average VORP aren't hard to find. Although someone will rebut with the below concept:

Dan Williams and Anthony Davis have been complete busts so far. We made the right selection with Spiller. No one thought Jason Pierre Paul was gonna be this good, plus he was a 1yr wonder in college.

Dan Williams yes, Anthony Davis not so much.

If the confirmation that a top 10 pick is good because he gets decent PT when the starter is hurt, well, rebuilding in perpetuity will become common all around the NFL. NFL teams do not build around RB's at this point in the evolution of NFL offense and justifying Spiller's selection because everyone behind him in the draft wasn't good outlines the fallacy of the pick. Regardless, the Bills from 2003-2010 have been one of, if not the poorest drafting teams in the NFL. And it's occurred with 4 men as GM.