If Stevie Johnson is not retained by the Buffalo Bills

Estro

I want to know what your opinions will be if come late March Stevie Johnson is smiling and meeting the media to talk about his new contract in a city other than Buffalo? Keep in mind if this does happen the Bills will tell you "we made every effort to keep him, but we don't think he felt the same way." But looking past the excuses, what will your gut feeling be if Steve is gone a month from now?

I'll start it off by saying I'll be utterly dissapointed in this franchise and their inability to retain "their home grown" talent. I, like most fans, don't know for sure if Ralph limits spending, but deep down I believe through extensions like Scott Berchtold the Bills compete in the NFL with one hand tied behind their back. When Buddy was hired and went on record as saying Ralph doesn't limit what he can and can't do I really wanted to believe him, and it's possible he's telling the truth. If the Bills let Stevie walk, though, I think it'll be proved once again that the football guys aren't the ones that have 100% authority over this roster, and if that is the case it disgusts me.

This year we head into free agency with 2 of our own 7th round picks, D. Bell and Stevie Johnson, about to test the market. Buddy has been on record as saying that the Bills MO will be to reward their own, so if both of these guys walk then whats the conclusion. They can't really think they can take the gamble and let Stevie walk thinking they can sign Vincent Jackson or Dwayne Bowe to replace him do they? While it is possible, it seems like an extremely risky strategy and one the team shouldn't take. It's difficult enough for Buffalo to attract sought after free agents from other teams, so if any team needs to put a higher emphasis on retainging their own qulaity free agaents it's certainly the Bills

Throw in the fact we just threw some serious money to a QB who will need all the offensive help he can get, and letting Stevie walk looks even sillier.

This team has to find a better balance of extending young guys with promise earlier in their contracts. I know sometimes you can get burned doing so, but the risk is worth the reward, IMO. I hope my fears aren't realized, but with every passing day I'm a little more convinced the Buffalo Bills, under the direction of Ralphie are about making money first and foremost, and if they can win some along the way than all the better. With that type of motive in the highly competetive NFL, the playoffs seem just as close as they have been for the past 12 seasons:

no where to be found.

Anyone disagree with my thinking here?

Edited by Estro

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will also be very disappointed if they don't retain Stevie. He is loved by all of his teammates and he loves playing for this team. Even with Stevie this team needs another receiver so to let him go would confuse me and make me curious as to the amount of will to win at OBD. I am a big fan of the guy so if they let him walk I won't be happy period

Some people around here don't like him because he got a few harmless penalties while doing cool and entertaining celebrations.

I personally love his antics and star power, but I hate his drops in the clutch.

Nonetheless, he's a great talent and by far our best receiver. He's a bigtime player, and he's the caliber of guy you need on your team if you are going to be a winning franchise.

The fact that they didn't extend him LONG ago is a testament to how poorly run this organization can be at times.

Edited by Boludo

As a long time season ticket holder, I will be disgusted. I also pretty much expect it. If they were serious about winning, and with resources available, they could and should have Stevie and Chandler locked up before Free Agency, and, IMO, pursue another good WR as well. Knowing the Bills though, we'll create another hole, and then be forced to fill it with a pick or FA money that could have been used elsewhere. It's like groundhog day.

I'll be very pissed and think about not renewing my seasons after 6 years of crap. It's not that I love Stevie so much (I do), but it's more about the fact that they have a talent that is a solid starter in the league that they hit the lottery on by drafting in the 7th round. If they let him walk for nothing it's a disaster IMO. At the very least I want him franchised and traded for picks (Price).

I will think his salary demands were too outrageous for his talent level. I still have a hard time getting past those drops: last year with Pittsburgh and this year (at Jets?).

He is not an elite receiver and should NOT be paid like one (and I'm part of the Ralph is cheap brigade!).

Great post...I have told many friends of mine, if he isn't resigned, I am done with the bills until Ralph dies and/or Jim Kelly gets involved...it would prove 100% that they don't care to win more than profit. If that's the case they will not see a dime from me anymore, and hopefully more of you feel the same.

pretty much, yea.

As a long time season ticket holder, I will be disgusted. I also pretty much expect it. If they were serious about winning, and with resources available, they could and should have Stevie and Chandler locked up before Free Agency, and, IMO, pursue another good WR as well. Knowing the Bills though, we'll create another hole, and then be forced to fill it with a pick or FA money that could have been used elsewhere. It's like groundhog day.

Agree, although I believe Demetrius Bell should be a much higher priority than Chandler. I liked Chandler's development, but I think Gailey and his offense deserves a lot of the credit for Chandlers pleasant surprise last year. On the other hand, I think Bell is a good to very good LT and the fact that he was a former 7th round pick makes him even that much sweeter. His injuries are certainly a concern, but I don't think they warrant letting him walk away, just as he very well could be coming into his prime.

If Stevie leaves it'll be a huge loss. Losing D. Bell (which hasn't been discussed nearly as much), will hurt this team almost just as much. Bell's shown he can play in this league, his replacement Hairston, has shown promise, but hasn't proven anything. To hand over the keys to Hairston at the LT spot would be a huge gamble and only further weaken our depth on the OL should there be injuries. I love the idea of having Hairston, Bell & Pears together for the next few years. Those are great building blocks to solidify the OL, but once again it looks like the Bills aren't willing to pony up some cash for one of the more important positions on the OL, and instead will hand the keys over to a guy (Hairston) who will be making about 500k for the next couple of seasons.

What do you guys think of Bell?

P.S.- My intuition tells me D. Bell will be a New York Jet too, which will be a double kick to the face.

I will think his salary demands were too outrageous for his talent level. I still have a hard time getting past those drops: last year with Pittsburgh and this year (at Jets?).

He is not an elite receiver and should NOT be paid like one (and I'm part of the Ralph is cheap brigade!).

With you. Well stated.

Agree, although I believe Demetrius Bell should be a much higher priority than Chandler. I liked Chandler's development, but I think Gailey and his offense deserves a lot of the credit for Chandlers pleasant surprise last year. On the other hand, I think Bell is a good to very good LT and the fact that he was a former 7th round pick makes him even that much sweeter. His injuries are certainly a concern, but I don't think they warrant letting him walk away, just as he very well could be coming into his prime.

If Stevie leaves it'll be a huge loss. Losing D. Bell (which hasn't been discussed nearly as much), will hurt this team almost just as much. Bell's shown he can play in this league, his replacement Hairston, has shown promise, but hasn't proven anything. To hand over the keys to Hairston at the LT spot would be a huge gamble and only further weaken our depth on the OL should there be injuries. I love the idea of having Hairston, Bell & Pears together for the next few years. Those are great building blocks to solidify the OL, but once again it looks like the Bills aren't willing to pony up some cash for one of the more important positions on the OL, and instead will hand the keys over to a guy (Hairston) who will be making about 500k for the next couple of seasons.

What do you guys think of Bell?

P.S.- My intuition tells me D. Bell will be a New York Jet too, which will be a double kick to the face.

I really like Bell and was always supportive of him when people posted or thought the guy was awful and had no place being the OT starter. I wish Nix can re-sign him but his price tag is such a grey area that I don't think I can blame the guy if other team overpays for him and takes him away.

I would re-sign him with health clauses and incentives regarding playing time, but that is easier said than done. He will want to get paid and some team might just do that. I won't be mad at Nix if that happens.

Great post...I have told many friends of mine, if he isn't resigned, I am done with the bills until Ralph dies and/or Jim Kelly gets involved...it would prove 100% that they don't care to win more than profit. If that's the case they will not see a dime from me anymore, and hopefully more of you feel the same.

What?? Jim Kelly gets involved?

if stevie if not retained it will be a big disappointment , unless there is a clear plan excuted /

lets say Gailey has had it with stevie , Buddy some how talks V jackson into signing then they follow that up with a speedy w.r like gascon , manningham, or meacham .

I could live with that scenerio

Will not be renewing season tickets after 15 plus years,not spending on seasons and the cost of gas, hotels, tolls food and driving 6 hours to see the organization not care. If the organization doesn't show commitment, why should we? If stevies not retained I think ill just be one of many.

I'd be really pissed if Stevie leaves. There's been ample opportunity to get a deal done over the last year, so I don't want to hear anything about "oh we tried to bring him back". If they have to overpay, so be it. They stink, and he's the only real quality NFL WR they have (although I do like Nelson & think he'll be a quality WR down the road).

Poz and Whitner walk last year. Okay, fine. Whitner was in kind of a toxic situation and it was better for everyone if he left, plus the Bills had a good replacement already on the roster. Poz couldn't really be signed to an extension due to the quirks of the expiring CBA, and once he hit free agency, the Jags gave him that monster contract. Can't fault the Bills a lot there. But there's no excuse with Stevie. None. If someone offers him a ridiculous contract (like Larry Fitzgerald money), the Bills won't be able to match, but that still won't excuse them in the slightest. They've already had plenty of chances to lock him down. I will have no sympathy if they let him go.