Surprised how little attention is paid to Fred here.

It has been talked about. During his end of the year conference, Buddy said he'll address the contract prior to the 2012 season. So Freddie's deal comes after:

1. Re-signing our FAs

2. Signing new FAs

3. the draft/combine/pro days, etc

If we're approaching camp and freddie doesn't have a new deal, then there will be news to discuss.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fred's a gamer and has been under appreciated for most of his career. Unfortunately, he is 31 and now has an injury history. No team that has given a big contract to an aging running back has had it pay off. See Alexander, Tomlinson, Johnson. While Fred was on the outside of the MVP race for half a year, Alexander literally won the award approaching 30. These are some of the reasons Fred does not receive a lot of attention in this board.

I really felt some excitement watching the Bills with FJ. Not my imagination, the man was #2 in yards from scrimmage when he got hurt. Now it's all trade Fred for a 3rd, sign Stevie, Fitz is great but for the rib, CJ had a 100 yard game, we don't need Fred.

Just venting, but it would just kill me if they don't keep Fred.

Hopefully they will use the money from Stevie Johnson's departure and give him a long term contract. We need quality players kept on our team to build around.... and so far, they have not done the right thing and given Fred a long term deal.

That's all well and good but I still don't understand why people see a need for the rush.

I don't think its a need to rush as much as desiring Jackson to be paid what he is worth.

For Example ...

CJ Spiller:

Five-year, $25 million contract. The deal includes $20.8 million guaranteed. Another $12.5 million is available through incentives.

After 2 non spectacular seasons he is improving, but looks to be at best a situational running back at the NFL level.

Fred Jackson:

Four-year, $7.5 million contract. The deal included a $1.1 million signing bonus and a $650,000 roster bonus in the first year. $50,000 is available annually through workout bonuses.

One of the best every down backs in the league.

The unfairness irritates some people and they would like to see it rectified sooner rather than later.

I really felt some excitement watching the Bills with FJ. Not my imagination, the man was #2 in yards from scrimmage when he got hurt. Now it's all trade Fred for a 3rd, sign Stevie, Fitz is great but for the rib, CJ had a 100 yard game, we don't need Fred.

I agree with you. Fred Jackson needs to be taken care of and the sooner they get it done the better. The talk of trading him for a draft pick is just ludacris. But i do think that (as others have mentioned) there are other priorities at the moment which should be addressed first.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/141592-fred-jackson-to-get-screwed/page__p__2372564__hl__%2Bfred+%2Bjackson__fromsearch__1?do=findComment&comment=2372564

You had post 10 out of 97

Jan. 25 45 post

Jan. 27 another 18 post and the list goes on.

That is only going back a short time.

Nah, let's talk about extending/re-negotiating FJ's contract every day!

I don't think its a need to rush as much as desiring Jackson to be paid what he is worth.

For Example ...

CJ Spiller:

Five-year, $25 million contract. The deal includes $20.8 million guaranteed. Another $12.5 million is available through incentives.

After 2 non spectacular seasons he is improving, but looks to be at best a situational running back at the NFL level.

Fred Jackson:

Four-year, $7.5 million contract. The deal included a $1.1 million signing bonus and a $650,000 roster bonus in the first year. $50,000 is available annually through workout bonuses.

One of the best every down backs in the league.

The unfairness irritates some people and they would like to see it rectified sooner rather than later.

CJ was a first round pick when signed.

FJ was a relative middle of the pack player when signed.

Nothing unfair about it. If both of their contracts ran out today, FJ would get a bigger contract up front, CJ would get a longer contract.

Do you propose only signing players to one year contracts of $1 and then pay them based on a performance scale at the end of the year, instead?

Nothing unfair about it. If both of their contracts ran out today, FJ would get a bigger contract up front, CJ would get a longer contract.

Do you propose only signing players to one year contracts of $1 and then pay them based on a performance scale at the end of the year, instead?

Agree with your post. Except I don't think FJ was even middle of the pack. Wasn't he a free agent? That's bottom of the barrel

No but in this age of renegotiating contracts at the drop of a hat, I propose taking care of a player that has not only performed at a top level for you, but has also not threatened sitting out a season if it is not done like some previous douchebag players have done.

There is no legal reason that the Bills have to do it, but there is a strong moral reason why they should.

The Bills FO claims to be looking for players of character. Well they have one and it is time for the Bills FO to show a little character themselves IMO.

Edited by CodeMonkey

1328585950[/url]' post='2378790']

I agree completely. When he went out with the injury, while I still watched the games, I watched them with much less enthusiasm. He's a special player. I pray we see him in a bills uni past next season .

1328616841[/url]' post='2378878']

At this point, what else can you say about Fred that hasnt already been said? Yes, ad nauseum is fitting.

So what you're saying is, during the offseason, we can't talk about our current players because we've already discussed them and nothing new has happened? Get over it. It's a message board where people discuss the bills. Fred is a Bill. He will be discussed. Don't like it? Don't read it. Ad nauseum = post like yours that tells people who/what to discuss here. Srsly

People are too busy whining that our QB isn't the best ever. Fred is a dead issue. I'm pretty sure and I truly hope he is retained but the guy is going to be 31 and coming off a broken leg. He is also still under contract. Sadly football is a business and he shouldn't expect a big pay day unless he takes the Jason Peters route. If he did that you would hate him anyway.

I know I'm going to get ridiculed for saying this, but I don't think we should extend Jackson. It's clear to me that the combination of Spiller and Choice did a very nice job with Fred out. I think we should let Fred play out his contract and let him walk. I'm much more concerned about extending Stevie, Chandler, Urbik, Bell, and/or Rinhart. And 2012 players in their final year Levitre, Byrd, and Moorman.

For those that disagree which impending free agents would you be willing to let go to sign Fred? I'd say you would have to pick 3 out of the 8 I mentioned above.

I don't understand why they can't sign him for four years to big money, he might be getting old, but he's coming off his best season in the NFL. It'd be pretty dumb to let a guy like him go, though I've come to expect nothing from our Front Office, except that I will most likely be disappointed with them.

Hopefully they will use the money from Stevie Johnson's departure and give him a long term contract. We need quality players kept on our team to build around.... and so far, they have not done the right thing and given Fred a long term deal.

Uh SJ is young. Fred is very old for a RB. There is no question which one you keep if it comes down to keeping one of them. That being said we should be able to keep both.

1328646723[/url]' post='2379297']

I know I'm going to get ridiculed for saying this, but I don't think we should extend Jackson. It's clear to me that the combination of Spiller and Choice did a very nice job with Fred out. I think we should let Fred play out his contract and let him walk. I'm much more concerned about extending Stevie, Chandler, Urbik, Bell, and/or Rinhart. And 2012 players in their final year Levitre, Byrd, and Moorman.

For those that disagree which impending free agents would you be willing to let go to sign Fred? I'd say you would have to pick 3 out of the 8 I mentioned above.

Why would we have to pick 3? You think fred is going to make triple what these guys are gonna get? Stevie, levitre and Byrd will all be getting paid more than Fred (most likely). Do you think we're gonna pay Fred 8-12mill per? Urbik will probably get 2-3.5, Rinehart 1.5-3. Bell 3-5, chandler 2.5-5. Stevie 7+. Levitre 4-7. Byrd 3.5-6. The market will germane the salaries if they hit the market, so they're general salary marks for players relative in skill. If we signed the lesser of the player at a bargain deal (doubtful), Urbik, rinehart and chandler will still make a combined 6 mill. More than likely we'd have to pay 8mill at least for the 3. Fred's not going to be making that much if he extends. I'd give up 2 of those 3 in order to keep Fred around for a few more years. Wouldn't think twice about it.

He's our best player.