Stevie to put end to TD displays

SKRAAPY

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's ridiculous is the amount of negative attention these celebrations get. Who cares if they celebrate a TD? I mean I get it if they're delibratly taunting other teams or players but football is just a sport, it's entertainment. That's it. Vernon Davis was flagged for celebrating a TD in the NFC conference championship, so does that mean he's a detriment to the 49ers?

A TD is the whole point of the game, let them celebrate if they score one, this is an indictment towards the nfl not tge fans. NFL is just entertainment, nothing more.

What's ridiculous is the amount of negative attention these celebrations get. Who cares if they celebrate a TD? I mean I get it if they're delibratly taunting other teams or players but football is just a sport, it's entertainment. That's it. Vernon Davis was flagged for celebrating a TD in the NFC conference championship, so does that mean he's a detriment to the 49ers?

A TD is the whole point of the game, let them celebrate if they score one, this is an indictment towards the nfl not tge fans. NFL is just entertainment, nothing more.

they do let them celebrate but it states in the rules no props so yes standing on a camera stand to celebrate costing your team 15 yards is considered a detriment to the team whether you agree with it or not

did you notice after the second TD Davis scored all he wanted to do was get away from his teammates so he could do a stupid dance he clearly planned

what happened to just spiking the ball?

Edited by Max997

Couldnt he have just stopped rather than announcing he was stopping?

You have to put it into context. He was on a radio show and most likely was asked about his celebrations. He was most likely answering the question asked of him.

Why do half of the posters pretend that they are old school hard-ass football coaches?

I don't see how someone could be offended because one of the Bills does a touchdown dance, especially since this particular one is the best reciever that we've had in a while.

Why do half of the posters pretend that they are old school hard-ass football coaches?

I don't see how someone could be offended because one of the Bills does a touchdown dance, especially since this particular one is the best reciever that we've had in a while.

It's not a matter of being offended. It's a matter of him breaking a rule and getting an untimely penalty.

If it were legal, I'm not sure most would have a problem with it. That said, I'm a big proponent of the old "act like you've been there before" school of thought. Hand the ball to the ref and get your mind on the next play. Plenty of time to celebrate after the win.

But that's just me.

GO BILLS!!!

He gave Buffalo some character. He made the game a little fun and we had more tears then laughs this year. Sure it was bone headed sometimes but it'd also hypocritical to celebrate Aaron Rodgers belt or Tebow Tebowing and see this different.

I agree. What Steve did is no different than the belt, Leap, or Gronkowski dunking the football. I wouldn't compare it to praying on the sideline, but everything else is the exact same.

Nothing to do with the celebration. Heck, I think some of them are fun. I also think it's hypocritical that the Lambeau leap is allowed. HOWEVER, it has NOTHING to do with the celebration. It's the fact that he KNOWS he will get a flag, and especially in an NFL where damn near every kickoff is now a touchback, that 15 yards is absolutely huge. If the league said it was illegal to smile after a touchdown, I think we could all agree that is stupid. However, mature WRs wouldn't smile. Stevie would likey tattoo a smile on his ass.

It's not a matter of being offended. It's a matter of him breaking a rule and getting an untimely penalty.

If it were legal, I'm not sure most would have a problem with it. That said, I'm a big proponent of the old "act like you've been there before" school of thought. Hand the ball to the ref and get your mind on the next play. Plenty of time to celebrate after the win.

But that's just me.

GO BILLS!!!

I see where you are coming from, but I guess the real question is what is the fine line between legal and an unsportsmenlike penalty. He got away with his Why so Serious shirt but not Happy New Year. I'm not necessarily supportive of the over the top celebrations, but I do think that the NFL could let a couple of the penalties go.

Glad to see this....hope we retain SJ, but still with the Franchise Tag and let him prove that he means what he's saying....let his integrity speak FOR him by his actions on the field....if he actually does what he says he will do, pay him long-term....otherwise, just two words to SJ: prove it...

I see where you are coming from, but I guess the real question is what is the fine line between legal and an unsportsmenlike penalty.

That's an easy one:

Vince Wolfork hitting the QB late and in the knee: legal.

"Happy New Year" on a t-shirt: 15 yard penalty.

I see where you are coming from, but I guess the real question is what is the fine line between legal and an unsportsmenlike penalty. He got away with his Why so Serious shirt but not Happy New Year. I'm not necessarily supportive of the over the top celebrations, but I do think that the NFL could let a couple of the penalties go.

I think the reason he got away with it last year is because the ref plain didn't see it at the time. If he wasn't a marked man after that, he certainly was after the first Jets game this season. SJ had to have known that.

As for that fine line, that's just the nature of the beast. So much of this stuff is a judgement call.

Even though I don't particularly enjoy demonstrations after a TD I can understand why the fans and players do. I agree the league should lighten up a little.

GO BILLS!!!

Sounds like he is expecting to be a bill next year the way he is talking about being a vet next year compared to the other bills recievers. I think this is a good sign, tho I am Erik worried about losing him.

What can I do for you?

Im in the camp of wanting to re-sign Stevie, but all I really got out of that article was that Stevie is about Stevie, Stevie accomplished what he wanted with his antics, and now Stevie has to say the right things cause Stevie wants a new contract. He's not putting an end to the celebrations because they cost the team, he's putting an end to them cause he achieved his goal lol:

"As far as the extra antics, with over-celebrating I feel like I did that to try to get on in the league and make a name for myself and let people know about Stevie Johnson. I feel like I have the attention now so now it’s time to take the next step." :rolleyes:

In the next sentence he starts off with the next Stevie goal, and then a team goal...but not necessarily the Bills?

"That’s trying to be a Pro Bowl receiver and trying to get a team to the playoffs."

What can I do for you?

Apparently Dan thinks he's you?

Edited by ajzepp