Lee Evans taking the blame for the loss

Webster Guy

Right and wrong. If Evans were developed in a demanding environment from day 1....say a place like New England or Baltimore.......he probably would have paid the kind of attention to detail that it takes to be a great clutch receiver. But since he played for a joke franchise and was just asked to go deep every play, and not held accountable for sloppy routes and a lack of toughness he turned into the kind of player who drops a pass that otherwise sends his team to a Super Bowl.

As for the fourth round pick.....let's face it....anything past the third round is usually a give-away pick. It has almost no value for trading up in round one, which is what they need. Based on his performance in Baltimore this year Evans was no loss, but a fourth round pick a year later is no big gain either.

What sucked yesterday was watching Patrick Willis tearing sh*t up and recalling how the Bills stayed pat and took Lynch and then traded up to get Poz. What a fukn fiasco that was.

It's never Lee's fault and when he doesn't put up any production he caused everyone else to have a great day. Let's just face it that perhaps Lee was just another face of mediocrity of the Bills franchise.

Playing for a different coach, better players and a darling NFL franchise with great leaders around him did nothing for his game. Sloppy route running, lazy routes, complacency are all on him not on the franchise. Perhaps those are the reasons the Bills traded him for a 4th round pick.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But that isn't why it should have been reviewed. It was a close play in the last two minutes, and the booth is supposed to call down and review those. Harbaugh went to the line judge after the play but was blown off. Does anyone seriously think that if it had been Welker or Gronk in that position that the booth wouldn't have called for a review?

Booth officials. Probably sitting in Bob Kraft's booth.

That said, if it was reviewed it would have been upheld as no catch. Just not conclusive enough. What ticks me off is that there was no review at all.

We need the college system, way more effective and efficient than the NFL system. No need for challenges, no need for "booths", no relying on field judges to overturn their own calls. The guys in front of the reply equipment watch every play and make the decisions within a few seconds. The NFL system is awful, and takes forever. The only rational I can see for using this system is the added commercial breaks, $$$...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I slo mo'd their slo mo and I don't think he got the 2nd foot down. I still think it should have been looked at, though........My first take was that it was a TD - watching live.

It still wasn't a Ronnie Harmon/Stevie type drop. That guy hammered the ball in just the right spot. You really want him to hold onto that, but that can't be that easy.

I hadn't really seen a replay until this morning...I think you are right. He catches the ball with one foot on the ground, but it is punched out of his hands before he gets the second foot down. I do think it should have been reviewed, however. The replay rules are fugged up. They only automatically review touchdown plays, but, since this "potential" touchdown play was not ruled a touchdown, they won't review it? That is just stupid. It's like the NFL saying "we want to make sure we get all the calls right, some of the time". Ultimately, they did get it right, I think.

Also, haven't read this whole thread, so excuse me if it has been mentioned, but, why didn't Harbaugh call his last timeout on that final, potential, game tie field goal by Cundiff? Cundiff was rushing out there to line up for the field goal...the play clock was down to about 10 seconds when he finally got out there, and he really didn't seem to do the normal "self-check" you normally see kickers go through. I wonder if Harbaugh just didn't realize, or, if he didn't want to "ice" his own kicker, as has happened this season. I don't know, if I was him, I would have used that last time-out. That looked bad from the get-go. Too bad, it was an otherwise fine effort by the Ravens...

Interesting. He is right though. One thing that has stuck out to me during these playoffs is the number of ex bills players that have failed to make a play when the game is on the line. WM fumbling at the end of the game when the Broncos were just trying to run the clock out against Pittsburgh, Whitner taking a horrible angle & whiffing on a tackle at the end of the game against the Saints in what was the go ahead score at the time & now Evans. Those 3 plays sums up the Bills Organization for the last 12 years. It just seems the whole organization manifests losing.

Do we then not give the (current) organization any credit for having the sense to get rid of those players? They ended up with draft picks for two of the three you mentioned (both from the Ravens, interestingly).

Disagree and agree. I think if all scoring plays are reviewed regardless of when it happens in the game, all would be scoring plays should be reviewed as well. The fact that it happened in the last 2 minutes makes it even worse.

I agree on the bias. Can you imagine Brady running down the field with his arms straight up and yelling at the ref? There is no question that it would have been reviewed. Maybe Lee Evans and Joe Flacco haven't done that enough to earn the benefit of doubt.

I hadn't really seen a replay until this morning...I think you are right. He catches the ball with one foot on the ground, but it is punched out of his hands before he gets the second foot down. I do think it should have been reviewed, however. The replay rules are fugged up. They only automatically review touchdown plays, but, since this "potential" touchdown play was not ruled a touchdown, they won't review it? That is just stupid. It's like the NFL saying "we want to make sure we get all the calls right, some of the time". Ultimately, they did get it right, I think.

Also, haven't read this whole thread, so excuse me if it has been mentioned, but, why didn't Harbaugh call his last timeout on that final, potential, game tie field goal by Cundiff? Cundiff was rushing out there to line up for the field goal...the play clock was down to about 10 seconds when he finally got out there, and he really didn't seem to do the normal "self-check" you normally see kickers go through. I wonder if Harbaugh just didn't realize, or, if he didn't want to "ice" his own kicker, as has happened this season. I don't know, if I was him, I would have used that last time-out. That looked bad from the get-go. Too bad, it was an otherwise fine effort by the Ravens...

this is what i was thinking also.. it looked like they were scrambling around with like 5 or 6 seconds left. that kick definitely looked like it was shanked because he had to rush it. and in regards to 'icing' your kicker.. ITS A 32 YARD FIELD GOAL.

this is what i was thinking also.. it looked like they were scrambling around with like 5 or 6 seconds left. that kick definitely looked like it was shanked because he had to rush it. and in regards to 'icing' your kicker.. ITS A 32 YARD FIELD GOAL.

Yeah my brother called before they even kicked the ball. It seemed like they were scrambling to get that kick off in time...They had a time out, what are they saving it for? It was a chip shot, just get it right. A lot of pain for the Ravens fans...we know how it is...

We need the college system, way more effective and efficient than the NFL system. No need for challenges, no need for "booths", no relying on field judges to overturn their own calls. The guys in front of the reply equipment watch every play and make the decisions within a few seconds. The NFL system is awful, and takes forever. The only rational I can see for using this system is the added commercial breaks, $$$...

It does seem way better. It seems like they use it way more often, but it takes way less time!

I have to admit I was fooled. But Evans would have been the ultimate #2 receiver. Unfortunately, he was our #1. It jsut sucks because his path only crossed briefly with Moulds and SJ. Evans would have been really good opposite both of those guys.

Also, I do think Evans was moved in part because of SJ. You can't have your #2 receiver making $4 million while your #1 is making under a million.

But, I remember a time when it was both Moulds and Evans and when it was a bomb downfield, I would hope it was Evans underneath it because he was definitely going to come up with it. (And, this is coming from somebody who thinks Moulds was the most talented receiver we ever had).

Totally agree on Cundiff. WTF took so long for him to get on the field?? And, instead of rushing things, just call the time-out! When they were rushing, I said this does not look good!

Unfortunately, it wasnt reviewed because there was nothing to review. The ball obviously came out, and therefore he did not "complete the catch". For more examples see: Calvin Johnson last year, and I believe it was Bobby Shaw from the Bills who tossed the ball to the ref too quickly once, and had his catch ruled incomplete.

It doesnt matter if he got 2 feet down, he needed to maintain possession. Another weird rule that seems to only get called/work in favor of the Pats...

Really sucks, because it would have been really nice to watch an ex-Bill knock out the Pats on the last play. Guess an actual Bill will just have to do it next year!

The replay clearly showed Evans was stripped of the ball before he got his 2nd foot down. The replay guys upstairs had access to the same views everyone else saw and determined their was no need to buzz down and make them go under the hood.

^^^^^^^^^

This!

Just heard this on the radio as well. The replay guy upstairs looked at it and decided that there was no need to even make a buzz to the ref to look at the play.

Really sucks, because it would have been really nice to watch an ex-Bill knock out the Pats on the last play. Guess an actual Bill will just have to do it next year!

There is still an important ex-Bill still left standing - Fewell and he has the best chance to ground the Brady mystique into LucasOil's artificial dust.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

I don't know why people are blaming it on Evans. It looked like he had possession of the ball and the defender made a great play. If the defender hadn't punched it out, it would have been a catch....no fault of lee's if you ask me.

Sucks the Pats made it in....again....god I hate them

Maybe cuz he is also blaming himself. He should have made that catch and he admits to it.

The blame is his take. Evans had an opportunity to END THAT GAME. Instead, he chose to behave as though he was enjoying a leisurely picnic in the park. Evans is a veteran that the Ravens took a chance on, and ended up paying dearly for it. -He should be cut first thing Monday morning.

I disagree, he was momentarily shielded from the ball when the defender swiped at it and missed, he was just able to grab it but didn't have a grip on it they way he normally would if he could have tracked it all the way in. He was trying to secure it when the defender made a great play on the ball, knocking it out in that split second span between Lee catching it and Lee demonstrating control of the ball. Nothing I saw Evans do appeared to me to be done "leisurely". He got his hands on it and tried to pull it in. He had his hands on that ball for about a quarter of a second before it got swatted out; he just didn't have the time to get a good enough grip to hang on when the defender slammed his hand on it.

It was just great football all around, plays like that are why I love this game.

I disagree, he was momentarily shielded from the ball when the defender swiped at it and missed, he was just able to grab it but didn't have a grip on it they way he normally would if he could have tracked it all the way in. He was trying to secure it when the defender made a great play on the ball, knocking it out in that split second span between Lee catching it and Lee demonstrating control of the ball. Nothing I saw Evans do appeared to me to be done "leisurely". He got his hands on it and tried to pull it in. He had his hands on that ball for about a quarter of a second before it got swatted out; he just didn't have the time to get a good enough grip to hang on when the defender slammed his hand on it.

It was just great football all around, plays like that are why I love this game.

Mickey, I like Evans a lot, and he's always had good hands. But man, he's gotta make that catch.

The whole thing looked rushed to me as well. Harbaugh did not do his kicker any favors.

It does seem way better. It seems like they use it way more often, but it takes way less time!

But, I remember a time when it was both Moulds and Evans and when it was a bomb downfield, I would hope it was Evans underneath it because he was definitely going to come up with it. (And, this is coming from somebody who thinks Moulds was the most talented receiver we ever had).

Totally agree on Cundiff. WTF took so long for him to get on the field?? And, instead of rushing things, just call the time-out! When they were rushing, I said this does not look good!