Lee Evans taking the blame for the loss

Webster Guy

You do not in fact need to make a football move in the end zone. Two feet down is all you need.

I feel very badly for Evans. Even though he is in decline, he's a likable Bill who had many good games for us.

Two feet and maintain possession throughout the process. I'm pretty sure Calvin Johnson got two feet down on that play last year that was ruled incomplete. Just like when you are trying to get your feet inbounds on a catch, two feet but you must keep the ball.

I put the blame on Flacco. Clearly Lee was a decoy on the play.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a dream scenario . After the trade , hurting his ankle & being out a few games this year , having his lowest out put of his career it looked like he would have his name in the books for making the catch that won the game , but it wasn't meant to be !! While i was watching i think Simms said it looked like he relaxed as he turned .

I don't know if that is what happened but knowing Evans the way that we all do (as far as on the field) you know he usually makes one or two great catches a year & one part of me wanted him to catch it , if just to beat New England - but the other side of me wanted him to do what he did . Now that i thought of it that really had to suck for him & Cundiff ..

There was only one Bill that knows exactly what both of them felt after the game . But as only a true professional would due Evans stepped up to the plate & took it on his shoulders which i wouldn't expect any thing different from the guy .

But like Ray Lewis said "we win as a team & we lose as a team" he didn't blame either of the 2 because of what happened !!

Lee Evans was always a pro while he played here , always a veteran , & always a team guy . Character is all around him & always will be !! but sorry about your luck !!!

Well said T.

It is so weird though...I mean I have rarely ever seen an instance in football where one single play could have so erased a disappointing season and resurrected the feelings from a fan base that had been questioning the signing as much as that dropped pass by Lee could have.

Yeah, I do feel for Lee this morning.

You do not in fact need to make a football move in the end zone. Two feet down is all you need.

I feel very badly for Evans. Even though he is in decline, he's a likable Bill who had many good games for us.

Feel bad for him ? For what ? He was always a good team mate. But to have the ball hit him in the hands for a potential chance to get to the Superbowl and him not fight for it or make an extra effort to secure it ? KNowing the defender was so close to him ? He is no rookie, he has several years in the league. Both these weekend's games came down to plays at critical moments (as the playoff games should be) and mistakes decisively swing the result one way or another. As a long term defender of Evans, I was very disappointed in his lack of total effort in such a huge moment. I just don't feel bad for him, it was his lack of effort that put the Pats* yet again in the Superbowl.

It's tough to fully blame Evans for not making that catch, it was a very solid play by the defender to knock the ball away...Still, I think many receivers in the NFL hold onto that.

IMO, it was Evans best game as a Raven, and I think an easy one for many of us Bills fans to root for. He had a chance to knock the Patriots out of the superbowl...Instead the Ravens had their own "wide right!" moment (of course it was left this time). It's going to be a tough off season for those fans...

Side note: I'm losing respect for Flacco's QB abilities fast...He holds onto the ball way too long, and tries to move around too much under pressure (JP Losman like). He is relatively inaccurate (Torrey Smith should have easily scored on that wide open pass in the first half). He seemed to struggle big time against one of the worst defenses in history.

I do feel for Evans. I have met him several times and he is a class guy. Unfortunately, I think the trade (which I wasn't in favor of) worked out in our favor. He is a declining player who is struggling with injuries.

That said, if the price was right, I'd definitely welcome him back. I think his absence hurt Stevie this year.

I always thought Lee Evans was a prime player that exemplified the Bills losing culture or the mediocrity it has been these past 11 or 12 years.

I am not surprised by any of what has transpired. It looks to me in the replay is when he caught the ball, there was no urgency to secure it. More complacent. It really looks like he thinks it is going to be game over and BAM, gets stripped. He definitely could have done more to secure that ball.

From a Ravens forum-

"You have players like Ed Reed, whose bodies are falling apart, giving it all they got, making big plays in the clutch moments, only to be letdown by gutless chokers. It is sickening. We should have multiple championships over the last few years with the team we've fielded. Can't believe I still get my hopes up, just to have my heart ripped out. This is what you get when you rely on a Bill and a bum kicker to get the job done."

Seems some of them have a low opinion of ex Bills.

Interesting. He is right though. One thing that has stuck out to me during these playoffs is the number of ex bills players that have failed to make a play when the game is on the line. WM fumbling at the end of the game when the Broncos were just trying to run the clock out against Pittsburgh, Whitner taking a horrible angle & whiffing on a tackle at the end of the game against the Saints in what was the go ahead score at the time & now Evans. Those 3 plays sums up the Bills Organization for the last 12 years. It just seems the whole organization manifests losing.

I always thought Lee Evans was a prime player that exemplified the Bills losing culture or the mediocrity it has been these past 11 or 12 years.

I am not surprised by any of what has transpired. It looks to me in the replay is when he caught the ball, there was no urgency to secure it. More complacent. It really looks like he thinks it is going to be game over and BAM, gets stripped. He definitely could have done more to secure that ball.

I have to admit I was fooled. But Evans would have been the ultimate #2 receiver. Unfortunately, he was our #1. It jsut sucks because his path only crossed briefly with Moulds and SJ. Evans would have been really good opposite both of those guys.

Also, I do think Evans was moved in part because of SJ. You can't have your #2 receiver making $4 million while your #1 is making under a million.

Hold that ball like you're holding your own baby. Would you ever let a Patriots player punch your own baby out of your arms?

I don't know why, but that made me laugh...

Damn baby beating patriots...

I have to admit I was fooled. But Evans would have been the ultimate #2 receiver. Unfortunately, he was our #1. It jsut sucks because his path only crossed briefly with Moulds and SJ. Evans would have been really good opposite both of those guys.

Also, I do think Evans was moved in part because of SJ. You can't have your #2 receiver making $4 million while your #1 is making under a million.

I think you also have to factor in scheme. Gailey loves slants, crossing routes and a lot of catch and run. Evans has always been more of a pure deep threat, mediocre at best when working underneath. Part of letting him go could have a been a case of Evans just not being the right guy for Gailey's offense, especially at the later part of his career. The problem for the Bills was that they did an awful job of trying to fill his vacated roster spot... If healthy, he certainly would have been no worse than Donald Jones...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Two feet and maintain possession throughout the process. I'm pretty sure Calvin Johnson got two feet down on that play last year that was ruled incomplete. Just like when you are trying to get your feet inbounds on a catch, two feet but you must keep the ball.

I put the blame on Flacco. Clearly Lee was a decoy on the play.

The Cal Johnson thing is completely different because he was going to the ground and you must maintain posession when you go to the ground. The telling thing for me in the rules states that when there is any doubt of possession and 2 feet, it's not a catch (paraphrasing).

I don't know why, but that made me laugh...

Damn baby beating patriots...

I think you also have to factor in scheme. Gailey loves slants, crossing routes and a lot of catch and run. Evans has always been more of a pure deep threat, mediocre at best when working underneath. Part of letting him go could have a been a case of Evans just not being the right guy for Gailey's offense, especially at the later part of his career. The problem for the Bills was that they did an awful job of trying to fill his vacated roster spot... If healthy, he certainly would have been no worse than Donald Jones...

I thought Jones was starting to play pretty well until he got hurt in the Eagles game. His injury was a big one because the Bills had very little speed at receiver. Still, the position mostly certainly can be upgraded. Fitz needs more talent to throw to.

I thought Jones was starting to play pretty well until he got hurt in the Eagles game. His injury was a big one because the Bills had very little speed at receiver. Still, the position mostly certainly can be upgraded. Fitz needs more talent to throw to.

Manningham is a free agent...

Great choke job by Lee, that 4th round pick is looking even better now.

Right and wrong. If Evans were developed in a demanding environment from day 1....say a place like New England or Baltimore.......he probably would have paid the kind of attention to detail that it takes to be a great clutch receiver. But since he played for a joke franchise and was just asked to go deep every play, and not held accountable for sloppy routes and a lack of toughness he turned into the kind of player who drops a pass that otherwise sends his team to a Super Bowl.

As for the fourth round pick.....let's face it....anything past the third round is usually a give-away pick. It has almost no value for trading up in round one, which is what they need. Based on his performance in Baltimore this year Evans was no loss, but a fourth round pick a year later is no big gain either.

What sucked yesterday was watching Patrick Willis tearing sh*t up and recalling how the Bills stayed pat and took Lynch and then traded up to get Poz. What a fukn fiasco that was.

Jones had the speed, but not the hands, awful in that department. He also didn't run great routes. But yeah, losing him did hurt, when we basically had no one behind him (Spiller/Smith took his place, of the 2 Spiller looked better).

Manningham is a free agent...

IMO, PASS. Manningham is ok, and certainly better than all other WR's on this team except SJ, but I argue that we need a play maker, not just another average WR. He is overrated, and has been going back to Michigan IMO. I just don't see him making an impact on the Bills.

If the Bills are serious about becoming a winning team, they will not only resign SJ, but pick up a top FA at the position as well.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Guess we'll never know. The NFL doesn't review plays that would be scoring plays if reversed. Complete nonsense.

But that isn't why it should have been reviewed. It was a close play in the last two minutes, and the booth is supposed to call down and review those. Harbaugh went to the line judge after the play but was blown off. Does anyone seriously think that if it had been Welker or Gronk in that position that the booth wouldn't have called for a review?

Booth officials. Probably sitting in Bob Kraft's booth.

That said, if it was reviewed it would have been upheld as no catch. Just not conclusive enough. What ticks me off is that there was no review at all.