Buddy Nix press conference today @11am

Buftex

Why does the team need 2 DE's if they're not switching to a 40 front? I know they continue to maintain the hybrid charade, but naming a guy as DC who's never coordinated anything but a 43 indicates that's the plan now.

I don't care what percentage of time they have 4 DL, it's about their base package, which is probably now a 43.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was thinking more along the lines of Nelson, Easley, and even Stevie if we resign him. Our smallest receiver would be Donald Jones and he is taller than Evans, Reed, and Roscoe who we ran with as our top 3 for how many years? It's a similar philosophy that that Chargers use at WR. Hardy was a dumb pick by a bad regime.

Believe me, I was just kidding about James Hardy.

Bump… thanks QCity!

If buddy wants a "Calvin Johnson" type WR, then we can start taking pre-orders for Alshon Jeffrey jerseys. He is exactly the type you can just chuck the ball up to and he'll go get it.

Jeffery seems like a great player but he doesn't have the same separation ability as CJ/Randy Moss.

Did he say anything about regretting letting Whitner go now that Whitner has proven himself to be an All Pro?

No… I don't think he mentioned Boo Boo foot Williams either.

Why does the team need 2 DE's if they're not switching to a 40 front? I know they continue to maintain the hybrid charade, but naming a guy as DC who's never coordinated anything but a 43 indicates that's the plan now.

I don't care what percentage of time they have 4 DL, it's about their base package, which is probably now a 43.

Because most of your pass-rushing (regardless of down) happens in the nickel or dime, when you use a 4-man line. Von Miller is a LB in the Broncos' base D, but plays DE against pass sets.

I do think the Bills will be closer to a true 4-3 next year, but the real problem wasn't what label was put on the scheme, but the poor quality of the scheme.

I admit I may be overinterpreting - but I really took what he was saying as implying they intend to USE their cap THIS year.

I seem to recall that with the new agreement in place between owners and players, teams are required to spend something like 90% of the cap. So don't give him too much credit.

I did hear Nix say addressing QB (and this is essentially what he said last year), "we'll take one if the right one is there at the right time."

Two things that were not addressed in the time I was listening (and I'm looking forward to GR's Audio Vault replay) were:

1) Quarterback issues

2) Play-calling issues

I think essentially that Nix is happy with Gailey and Fitz for the time being.

He commented favorably on Gailey and didn't mention upgrading QB talent as one of the offseason priorities.

Duh. He signed Gailey, and he gave Fitz a [too] big contract. To admit to either of the things you listed would be an admission that he screwed up.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I seem to recall that with the new agreement in place between owners and players, teams are required to spend something like 90% of the cap. So don't give him too much credit.

I think that starts in 2013, but I could be wrong....

Duh. He signed Gailey, and he gave Fitz a [too] big contract. To admit to either of the things you listed would be an admission that he screwed up.

Thanks for the marginally useful reply.

In listening to the entire presser, here's some useful observations:

1) "I think Chan did a good job" There were no follow up questions about Gailey. No questions about any aspect of his coaching at all… so of course Nix isn't going to address it. Nix didn't evade anything that was asked of him. The media did not scrutinize Gailey.

2) Besides saying they would take a QB if "the right one is there at the right time" Nix said (paraphrasing) "he had numerous injuries at wide receiver and it hurt him (Fitz). It might sound like excuses but its reasons. Fitz is fine and if we surround him with enough talent he can take us to the dance. Fitz is a bit of a gunslinger and we have to reign that in and get him to where he makes better decisions."

Enter Justin Blackmon :thumbsup:

He won't be there at #10.

1) "I think Chan did a good job" There were no follow up questions about Gailey. No questions about any aspect of his coaching at all… so of course Nix isn't going to address it. Nix didn't evade anything that was asked of him. The media did not scrutinize Gailey.

4-2 followed up by 6-10 with a big losing streak for good measure and no scrutiny of the HC/OC. Interesting. I wonder why. Is the local media that wimpy or were they given a list of do's and do not's maybe.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Top 4 needs:

LBs and DEs (probably 2)

Top flight receiver who is open even when he is covered (Calvin Johnson type) - you know this is the 1st round pick as everything is pointing that way

Add a tackle

Can never have enough DBs

Merrimen is back if healthy

He is confident Stevie and Fred will be extended

Heck, yes! Let's go get "one of those Calvin Johnson types"!

If he is so good, why is Buddy talking about getting WRs? I see Nelson returning, a FA signee, Nelson, Easley, and a draft pick as our top 5.

Because he's not a "big time receiver".

Buddy didn't say anything about getting WR's PLURAL - unless they lose Stevie.

He said they want another ONE top starter to go with SJ.

There's nothing wrong with Jones your #4/#5 guy. That's has nothing to do with trying to bring in a Vincent Jackson, etc. or sign a 1st-round stud WR.

Comments on Bell were most enlightening. My understanding was that they are not going to back up the truck for him. His injury history is a problem and will factor into negotiations. I think they will try harder for Stevie than for Bell. I suspect that Bell may leave because once free agency starts the Bills are in no better position with a player like Bell than any other team. Signing or no signing they will add a Tackle.

His injury history will also be scrutinized by other teams when they consider how much to offer.

Did he say anything about runners? We need more runners, and a tight end who doesn't get hurt. Did Buddy talk about either?

Nothing about adding runners, and not much about injury status at TE. However, I found it interesting that at different times, Buddy:

1.) Talked about team needs for next year, and did not mention TE or allude to TE (i.e., nothing about "pass catchers" or "receiving options") -- Buddy was very specific on offensive needs, which was a Megatron-style WR and an OT or two.

2.) Was asked about Chandler, and while he did say that the Bills want Chandler back, he didn't sound nearly as assertive about it as he did with Stevie. A lot of talk about bringing him back at the right price, hoping that Chandler wanted to be back at the right price, etc. Brought up how Chandler had 1 career reception heading into the season, and said that guys like that are maybe more valuable to us than anyone else, and hopefully they see it that way, too. Definitely didn't sound confident that a deal would get done.

I listened to the entire thing. Here's what I got:

1. Nix said Ralph has never said no to him regarding anything he wants to do, including spending. Ralph has disagreed but never said he couldn't do something.

2. I think he's going to draft a offensive tackle in the third or 4th round.

3. Pass rusher top priority. He commented on size, likes the 6-4 and taller guys.

4. Doesn't sound like they're going to re-sign Roscoe because he's never finished a full NFL season. He alluded to the same thing with Bell at LT. I don't think they'll pay for either one of those guys next year.

5. He seemed to think Fitz's midseason slump was from losing his WR's and not having enough weapons. He talked about adding a big receiver. Likes Donald Jones a lot but you can tell he's frustrated with injured dudes. Easley too. He mentioned Easley's strength and bad luck getting on the field.

6. He was asked about Chandler and said they'd like to keep him.

7. Thinks we will take a big step next year with one more solid draft like last year. Commented that our rookies (hairston, searcy, shep, dareus and aaron W) all got solid experience this year, and CJ got better as well.