Colts Taking Luck

LABills08

Per everyone:

@AdamSchefter

As @mortreport reported on Sat edition of NFL Countdown, Colts plan to use the No. 1 pick on Stanford QB Andrew Luck.

Cruel that Colts are able to draft Manning #1 overall, and then able to draft the second coming of Manning #1 overall the very instant that Peyton's career starts to wind down.

So it goes.

There go my 3 1st round picks.

The news isn't that they are taking him, I think the news is that there is a good chance Peyton is on his way out.

Giving the fact he has had 3 NECK surgeries in the past 2 years, I would not be shocked if Peyton retires in the off-season, and I don't think he owes the Colts anything. He will be 36 years old, he has taken the Colts to the SB twice, and has given them 13 great seasons of football. Assuming Andrew Luck lives up to the hype, the Colts are very fortunate that fate somehow smiled on them again and delivered another franchise QB to their doorstep.

The 2-14 record this year also shows just how much the Colts have relied on Manning over the past few years.

This is a no brainer....Luck is without a doubt one of the best pure passers in this year's draft. If you have the #1 overall, this is who you take. And while you can say that without Peyton look at how the team did....but doesn't that exactly highlight just how importatn the QB position is and CAN be?!! Luck....um, DUH!! That's no breaking news there...

The obvious one, that the Bills and most teams passed up on is Aaron Rodgers. He still went in the first round, just later.

WRONG!

The Bills did not pass up on Aaron Rodgers, because the Bills did not have a first round pick that year!

Is there anyone that doesn't have Andrew Luck slated as a first ballot hall of famer? This kid is getting so much praise, is there anyone that believes he isn't the second coming?

I don't see much difference between Luck and several other consensus #1 picks in recent memory. Both Mannings, Vick, Bush (although he didn't go #1) all received similar attention.

There's little question he is a best prospect in the draft and the timing couldn't possibly be better for the Colts to get Manning's successor.

I'm actively rooting for Luck to be a horrible bust. I'm over the ridiculous hype he's getting. I really do hope he sucks.

Hoping for a nice young kid to experience abject failure because you can't control your addiction to sports media.

Stay classy......

And they would have spend those draft choices rebuilding the Colts roster.

Rebuilding the roster? Didn;t this same roster (plus Manning) go 10-6 last year? and 14-2 the year before? Are Freeney, Wayne, Mathis, Clarke, Costanzo, Saturday, Bethea, GArcon all gone?

What the Colts really lost in Manning (besides great QB play) was their long time de facto OC and HC (Manning). Orlovski walked in off the street and won 2 of 3. If they had picked up a guy like Orton earlier, they would have won a few more I bet, but then they wouldn't have been in the running for Luck.

Poilan was eying Luck weeks ago. WHy are people saying he wasn't going to pick him? I assumed Poilan wanted luck so bad that he left Painter as their QB until it became obvious he was tanking for the number 1 pick. Irsay is the one who signed the crazy Manning contract--happily.

WRONG!

The Bills did not pass up on Aaron Rodgers, because the Bills did not have a first round pick that year!

You are correct that they didn't technically pass him up. But IMO they passed him up, when in 2004, they mortgaged the future of the team on losman, giving up that 2005 first round pick.

Not being a dyck but just can't remember, when was the last time the Bills had a shot (not allowing for hypothetical trade-up scenarios) at a franchise quarterback?

Have the Bills recently passed over a QB that has become a franchise quarterback?

Come to think of it, in recent times, how many times has a team moved up in the first round to nab their franchise quarterback?

I will say, kudos to the Jets for making a bold move up for Sanchez… however it ends up.

I don't disagree, but they never stretch to get one either. Rothlesberger went a couple picks before the Bills picked. The point is not that they ever passed one up, but they never make a bold move to try and get one, either (painful exception - JP Losman). There are some QBs that will likely have long successful careers in this draft, and they'll watch them go to other teams and live with what they have. The difference between the Bills and the perennial playoff teams are that the Bills haven't had a franchise QB since Kelly. The teams with franchise QBs are in the playoffs year in and year out. It's a QB league - just look at the teams that are successful. Sure, we might have to take a small step backwards if we gave up picks to move up, but how much farther back can we really go? I say find one and go for it. If not this year, next year, but soon! Fitz is not the long term answer. He's not even the short term answer. Unfortunately, they overpaid for him, so he will be the next in a long line of Bills QB busts. Can't wait until next season. :-|

Irsay claims he will not trade Manning and will only trade manning if they sit down and agree upon that together...strange. Thing is things couldn't have gone better for Irsay...Manning not playing a snap this season means that Irsay didn't have to pay Manning a dime rather an insurance company paid 27 million of that guaranteed money. Now Irsay can trade Manning and his contract which becomes easier to handle after the initial 28 mil roster bonus. He can take Luck get a couple high draft picks for manning and improve the team around Luck with those high picks.

Hoping for a nice young kid to experience abject failure because you can't control your addiction to sports media.

Stay classy......

So i take it that you don't root against a single player or team in the NFL then. As for the sports media, i like sports, so i'm not going to stop following the sports media (aside from ESPN, which i loathe and refuse to watch or visit their website). I just don't need to be subjected to people fawning over a college kid who has done absolutely nothing yet at the pro level.

Yikes! That's pretty harsh my friend.

It's not like this guy is one of the many thugs in the NBA.

I just don't want to see him successful on the football field, playing a game (unless its for the Bills or Buccs), mainly because i hate the love-fests that the media puts on. Its simply a football thing.

So i take it that you don't root against a single player or team in the NFL then. As for the sports media, i like sports, so i'm not going to stop following the sports media (aside from ESPN, which i loathe and refuse to watch or visit their website). I just don't need to be subjected to people fawning over a college kid who has done absolutely nothing yet at the pro level.

I just don't want to see him successful on the football field, playing a game (unless its for the Bills or Buccs), mainly because i hate the love-fests that the media puts on. Its simply a football thing.

My Luck-cot boils down to the same issue. I don't mind seeing the kid succeed, I just hate the thought of him validating his pre-ordained narrative, thus perpetuating a truly haphazard, fly-by-the-seat-of-your pants billion dollar advertising scheme that exploits amateur athletes in order to sell insurance and/or deodorant.

I'm sure he's a great kid. He's done very well with the exceptional opportunities presented to him at Stanford, but the hype machine has been OUT OF CONTROL for this guy since October 2010.

The worst part is, even if he DOES fail, there will be nobody in front of a camera to say, "welp, we really whiffed on that one."

Adam Carolla makes a great analogy for people of the for-profit sports "reporting" ilk: they're like beavers. They hunt for wood and build dams. If you were to put them at the top of the Chrystler Tower, their first goal would be to find wood and build a damn. In other words, they're totally blind to a reality that falls beyond their "expertise," but to make matters worse their "expertise" more often than not involves inventing said reality as they go along.

But, there's nothing you, me, or anyone else can do about it. So long as broadcasting fees/licenses for airing sporting events remains so high, no organization will compete with a money-hording organization like Disney, a company who's leveraged that barrier to entry only to dispatch an equally nefarious co-op of sports, entertainment and consumer supplies to join the ever-diluted universe of 24/7 "news."

Cruel that Colts are able to draft Manning #1 overall, and then able to draft the second coming of Manning #1 overall the very instant that Peyton's career starts to wind down.

So it goes.

Exactly but the Colts collapse goes way beyond Manning so it will be interesting to see if they can pull it back together.

Not being a dyck but just can't remember, when was the last time the Bills had a shot (not allowing for hypothetical trade-up scenarios) at a franchise quarterback?

Have the Bills recently passed over a QB that has become a franchise quarterback?

Come to think of it, in recent times, how many times has a team moved up in the first round to nab their franchise quarterback?

I will say, kudos to the Jets for making a bold move up for Sanchez… however it ends up.

In '04 the Bills declined to move up from #13 to select Ben Roethlisberger, who was taken at #11. Instead they stayed at #13 and took Lee Evans, then later traded back into the first round to take JP Losman.

Say what you want about Roethlisberger, but it's pretty clear that there were three franchise QBs in that first round and the Bills took the fourth.

Might be to early to say but Andy Dalton was passed up twice.

In '04 the Bills declined to move up from #13 to select Ben Roethlisberger, who was taken at #11. Instead they stayed at #13 and took Lee Evans, then later traded back into the first round to take JP Losman.

Say what you want about Roethlisberger, but it's pretty clear that there were three franchise QBs in that first round and the Bills took the fourth.

There were reliable reports that the Bills attempted to trade up for Big Ben but failed.

At least they tried but unfortunately they were unsuccessful.

Might be to early to say but Andy Dalton was passed up twice.

I thought about him but I think the jury is still out on Dalton as far as being a franchise quarterback.

I still wouldn't have taken him over Dareus but there's no question that you can argue he should have been the choice over Aaron Williams.