Jason Peters -- First Team All-Pro

In rushing. BTW, why does the #1 O-line only afford a quarterback 2 seconds tops on pass plays???

Hence the simplistic and very defensible spread offense.

Hmmmmmmmmm, spin that one.

If you actually looked at the link you would see we weren't #1 in rushing.. We were 13th in total rushing yards and 4th in yards per carry. We were #1 in sacks allowed.

I guess everyone forgot that Peters held out, was out of shape and played probably the worst year of his career before he left? He sure didn't give them many reasons to want to keep him..

Oh, I am giving them credit. In fact the O-line coach should get a BIG raise for what he has done.

Fact is maybe just maybe an All Pro Left tackle could have improved our pass protection to let something more than a short slant develop. That;s my point.

Hairston is a potentially very good right tackle. Pears is backup IMO. So we need a stud left tackle IMO.

Why do we need time to let plays develop? Fitz isn't accurate past 15 yards..

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was EASILY the best left tackle in the entire league last year, notwithstanding that he was protecting a lefty QB - it didn't matter.

And keep in mind that as good as Wood has been, he hasn't seen the field nearly enough over the past 3 seasons. As of now, that trade was a complete debacle, as many of us predicted. Good organizations do not let premier LTs go in their prime.

The Bills are not a good organization.

I'd argue that it does matter, teams adjust their package to attack the blind side.

Peters didn't see the same pressure package as other LTs.

Not to mention you don't want to blitz Vick and have him flush the pocket then hurt you with his feet.

You want to keep Vick contained in the pocket.

So yes it does matter.

That being said. Yeah he is a good LT and a smart organization signs a good LT. LT is a great area to invest dollars, not let a good LT walk. The Bills are not a good organization.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I bet that has a lot to do with fact that they both have arguably the best scramble/running qbs around

As I look over the data, Philly and Carolina are both better than us in rush avg yds and total yds (just to name two). It appears to me the ranking is solely based on quarterback sacks allowed because this is the only ascending column. Could be wrong though.

How long did it take Philly to get what they paid for? Three years?

He was second team all-pro last year but who's counting.

On the plus side, Colin Brown looked surprisingly good at center so if Eric "Balsa" Wood goes humpty dumpty again maybe they won't miss a beat. 0:)

Do you really think that Chan Gailey is just plain stubborn and stupid?

I like Spiller a ton, and can't wait to see him next year, but he gets his 5 yards a carry by running for 2, -3, 4, 1 and 25 yards (not always, and a slight exaggeration but I think you know what I mean). Those holes are open because we simply do not run that much. A lot of times we try and we get stuffed. Granted, I wish we would run Spiller a little more myself, but that really boils down to 2-3 more carries a game. And if we picked up a few more first downs, like we did earlier in the league, he would easily get that.

It's just an opinion. You may be right. But I don't at all think if we ran a lot more we would have the holes in the run game that we sporadically do. I think we would have a lot less.

I don't think Gailey is stubborn or stupid in the least. I think he's enamored. OK, maybe a little stubborn.

And not that Spiller is in any great RB class as of yet, but the yardage chunks you describe him getting are what most great backs do in a game. It's just the nature of the beast. Runs get stuffed, some go for a few, and some are busted for long gains. One thing we don't seem to do is allow our OLmen and RBs to establish that all important flow to the running game. And I don't think it's due to unmanageable down/distance all the time. I'm talking about OLmen and RBs talking to each other and making subtle changes on the fly to take advantage of what a D might be doing to counter.

You're right. It's all opinion until we actually see what these guys do with more carries, especially early on in games.

GO BILLS!!!

I guess everyone forgot that Peters held out, was out of shape and played probably the worst year of his career before he left? He sure didn't give them many reasons to want to keep him..

And the irony from his end is it made his injury risk go way up. I wish he wouldve just come out, played all pro and forced their hands that way.

And the irony from his end is it made his injury risk go way up. I wish he wouldve just come out, played all pro and forced their hands that way.

That's how a professional ball player handles it. Like Freddy, for example. By missing all the OTAs, workouts, and camp, etc. and finally coming in ONE DAY before the regular season opener, Peters needed the regular season to get in shape. He screwed his teammates in the process. I'm sure that wasn't his intention but that was the end result. Not to mention the distraction it undoubtedly caused the entire season.

GO BILLS!!!

He was second team all-pro last year but who's counting.

On the plus side, Colin Brown looked surprisingly good at center so if Eric "Balsa" Wood goes humpty dumpty again maybe they won't miss a beat. 0:)

The point on Brown may be correct. However, you're assuming the bean counters decide whether we need to have 2 centers on the roster next year.

the fact that Colin Brown may be playing for the league minimum probably doesn't mean squat. Hope he didn't play to good and Wood finds himself looking

in from the outside on a salary dump(Just kidding).

FWIW - journalists vote for this stuff. Who is to say a journalist knows anything about football? Reading my local paper its evident that know very very litte.

I always like to see the PB alternates. They get put in by the NFL coaches vote. Those are the real players. KW got in in 2008(?) that way after a great great season that no news paper writer was talking about.

Considering they had absolutely no backup plan when they dealt him, it's hard to respect their decision one iota...

This was in 2008-2009 and its 2012 and they STILL don't have a replacement even close to his ability :doh:

Peters 5x pro bowls now

I have to think that the Bills 3 headed monster or RW just didn't want to pay any offensive player more then the starting QB

And the Eagles still managed to MISS the playoffs even with this All-Pro tackle. Sorry, football success is all about coaching, QB and chemistry. It'd be nice to have him here but the Bills would still be 6-10.

THIS.

If we had resigned him, we'd be a worse team for it- still weak at WR, still weak at DE, still shaky in the secondary, on and on.

Let Peters be someone else's headache... and yet Vick still gets hit a lot.

This was in 2008-2009 and its 2012 and they STILL don't have a replacement even close to his ability :doh:

Peters 5x pro bowls now

I have to think that the Bills 3 headed monster or RW just didn't want to pay any offensive player more then the starting QB

How many sacks did the Bills offensive line give up this year?

Did our run production suffer terribly?

'Not having anyone close to his ability' is absolute hyperbole.

Untrue. He was not offered the same money by the Bills, not even close. He would have jumped at that offer by The Bills.

Also, by the time the Bills offer climbed into a realistic neighborhood, the damage had been done. The Bills were reluctant to say the least in terms of arriving at a negotiating floor.

And Peters also handled the situation poorly. He gave the naysayers lots of ammo by basically making the worst decisions a disgruntled player can make during the divorce proceedings.

It's based on a combo or run and pass protection. The Bills are a still respectable in run blocking.

PTR

I just looked at your link again and there is a red ascending arrow next to "sacks". When I select the header "yds" it puts the red ascending there and ranks Denver #1. When I select "avg" it ranks Carolina #1. When I select "sacks" it ranks them descending so I click "sacks" again and it re-sorts with Buffalo #1 as per your original link.

In this version: http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=TOTAL_POINTS_GAME_AVG&tabSeq=2&season=2011&role=TM&Submit=Go&archive=false&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&qualified=true

the Bills are ranked #14 in points per game and total yards per game.

Edited by GaryPinC

I just looked at your link again and there is a red ascending arrow next to "sacks". When I select the header "yds" it puts the red ascending there and ranks Denver #1. When I select "avg" it ranks Carolina #1. When I select "sacks" it ranks them descending so I click "sacks" again and it re-sorts with Buffalo #1 as per your original link.

In this version: http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=TOTAL_POINTS_GAME_AVG&tabSeq=2&season=2011&role=TM&Submit=Go&archive=false&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&qualified=true

the Bills are ranked #14 in points per game and total yards per game.

Points per game is not an O-line stat. It's a team offense stat.

Once you get a reputation as a lineman in the nfl...probowls beome automatic

Ask Ruben Brown.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Please! NO MORE Jason Peter threads (or JP or Trent or fat Pat Williams or Greer etc....)!! IT IS THE PAST! get over it! Move on. There have been 100s of these on here. Yes we might have been better, we aren't. It is like having an old girlfriend stalking you to re-read these stupid things.

Please do not say the All-Pro team is a popularity contest, it is not, at all. Look at all of the other starters. Some big names, some not, all of the guys that excelled that weren't expected to are near the top.

Peters is a great player and worth the money, and would have been on the Bills too.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/06/rodgers-tops-brees-easily-megatron-and-allen-lead-all-pro-voting/#more-177937

With recent in season signings, hopefully the Bills have learned their lesson in not letting star players go.