Jason Peters -- First Team All-Pro

...Anyone complaining that Gailey abandons the run game too much is really missing the point that if we ran all the time, we couldn't run any of the time. Spiller looked great to me but if you doubled his carries you would cut his YPC by a third. ...

I'm sure there's a scientific formula that you used to come up with that and I'd be interested to know what it is.

If Spiller or Freddy gets more carries out of the same spread offense, it also stands to reason that they break a couple more runs in a game.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Non compete clauses only come into effect when you are taking a job that may "compete" with the company that hired you. It doesn't mean you can't take ANY job. Just very specific ones with very specific competitors. It's apples and pork chops anyway. Non compete is really not a good example or analogous situation.

yes, because bringing in an elite one of a kind talent from a direct competitor is toooottally different for the sake of your argument that any other job in the world has free movement. taking the best LT in the league from another team and putting him on your own is a stark contrast....

but your right, peters could have left and worked in any other profession for 3 times the money if someone offered it. just not the nfl.

seems like maybe closer to apple to apple than you like. maybe orange to grapefruit?

Edited by NoSaint

I'm sure there's a scientific formula that you used to come up with that and I'd be interested to know what it is.

If Spiller or Freddy gets more carries out of the same spread offense, it also stands to reason that they break a couple more runs in a game.

GO BILLS!!!

but they should probably break those runs less often then they were, as the defense is expecting the run. at the very least, if you believe in "rhythm" and wearing the defense down.... you wouldnt expect great results. its like a run on third and long, unexpected and effective yardage, but not evidence of a power running game

Edited by NoSaint

This is the only thing you've said in this thread that makes sense. You're right, you don't get it. That's because you don't know anything about football.

At the end of the day, whether you're a fan who understands the sport or not, the thing we all have in common is that we want the Bills to win. The Peters trade was not an example of a team that shares that philosophy. End of story.

Right on man. When a team that is devoid of talent lets what little they have go because they won't pay fair market value it shows they don't want to win. I don't get how people are pissed at Peters because old money bags wouldn't pay him and he was justifiably insulted. Were they worried Ralph might go broke being under the cap as we always are? Yes we are well under the cap and in actuality are lower than we appear due to some financial trickery that will soon be eliminated when certain provisions the new CBA go into effect.

Edited by PDaDdy

And the Eagles still managed to MISS the playoffs even with this All-Pro tackle. Sorry, football success is all about coaching, QB and chemistry. It'd be nice to have him here but the Bills would still be 6-10.

Nobody said a single player will get you to the playoffs but an all Pro LT sure helps a lot. It's really unbelievable that fans continue to defend the decisions this team's front office(s) have made for the past decade despite the success of players let go and the lack of success by the Bills team.

The Bills rarely hold onto their good players once they've earned a significant pay raise. Yet fans come here and say, "(insert player name) doesn't deserve the money of a #1 (QB, WR, LT, LB, CB, etc.)" and so we continue to field a team of low paid guys who apparently are "worth" the money they get paid yet never seem to bring home a winning season.

GO BILLS!!!

Actually it stands to reason that teams would no longer play the Bills as pass first, and no reason to keep their nickel or dime defense in with one or two more defensive backs, and would call defenses designed to stop the run.

Hi, yeah, I just wanted to pop back in and say the best thing about this thread is posters questioning other posters' football cred. At the end of the day, we're all wearing pocket protectors and tape-secured eyeglasses. :D

You don't know the first thing about wearing pocket protectors and taped glasses.

GO BILLS!!!

but they should probably break those runs less often then they were, as the defense is expecting the run. at the very least, if you believe in "rhythm" and wearing the defense down.... you wouldnt expect great results. its like a run on third and long, unexpected and effective yardage, but not evidence of a power running game

Oh, but I would expect great results, especially from RBs like Jackson and Spiller, which they showed.

Any offensive lineman will tell you there is nothing more fun than isolated run blocking against a spread out defense. Nothing demoralizes a defense more. Even when everybody is expecting it. Because that doesn't mean they can always stop it. And that's what makes it so demoralizing. Not to mention physically exhausting to a defense. And that's what you get when you establish a rhythm. But Gailey somehow never sensed that or so it seems.

Running out of a multi WR, single back, shotgun set is NOT a power running game but it can be a successful running formation. Think K-Gun which was a spread offense but a running offense.

Anyway, I wish Spiller and Jackson would have had more attempts when they were running well in games and before the scores got out of hand.

GO BILLS!!!

Oh, but I would expect great results, especially from RBs like Jackson and Spiller, which they showed.

Any offensive lineman will tell you there is nothing more fun than isolated run blocking against a spread out defense. Nothing demoralizes a defense more. Even when everybody is expecting it. Because that doesn't mean they can always stop it. And that's what makes it so demoralizing. Not to mention physically exhausting to a defense. And that's what you get when you establish a rhythm. But Gailey somehow never sensed that or so it seems.

Running out of a multi WR, single back, shotgun set is NOT a power running game but it can be a successful running formation. Think K-Gun which was a spread offense but a running offense.

Anyway, I wish Spiller and Jackson would have had more attempts when they were running well in games and before the scores got out of hand.

GO BILLS!!!

Great point K-9. You can line up in a spread formation but still focus on the running game more. The spread is a formation nothing more. You can decide to run or pass from it.

Disgruntled may be an understatement. Unless missing all of the offseason workouts, OTAs, mini-camp, and training camp while not returning phone calls is merely being disgruntled.

I don't fault him for being pissed, especially when he saw what guys like Dockery and Walker made. But there are more professional ways of going about your business.

GO BILLS!!!

Standard negotiating in the NFL. As you correctly pointed out he would have been the third highest paid o-lineman on the team when arguably he should have been top 3 paid LT in the entire game.

Actually it stands to reason that teams would no longer play the Bills as pass first, and no reason to keep their nickel or dime defense in with one or two more defensive backs, and would call defenses designed to stop the run.

But it doesn't stand to reason actually. The defense you run is predicated on the down/distance and the personnel group the offense has on the field. If I stay in a single-back, multi-receiver, shotgun set and you decide NOT to match that with additional DBs, then I have exploitable mismatches, thank-you very much. The key for me is that I need to be ABLE to stay in manageable down/distance and have SHOWN that I can be successful with either run or pass.

The Bills gave teams reason to respect their running game out of the spread offense. But they didn't stick with it for certain reasons, I'm sure. It's just that none of those reasons included being unsuccessful early in games. I still think the more opportunities a good RB gets, the more opportunity he has to break one. Especially when they demonstrated that ability with few attempts.

GO BILLS!!!

But it doesn't stand to reason actually. The defense you run is predicated on the down/distance and the personnel group the offense has on the field. If I stay in a single-back, multi-receiver, shotgun set and you decide NOT to match that with additional DBs, then I have exploitable mismatches, thank-you very much. The key for me is that I need to be ABLE to stay in manageable down/distance and have SHOWN that I can be successful with either run or pass.

The Bills gave teams reason to respect their running game out of the spread offense. But they didn't stick with it for certain reasons, I'm sure. It's just that none of those reasons included being unsuccessful early in games. I still think the more opportunities a good RB gets, the more opportunity he has to break one. Especially when they demonstrated that ability with few attempts.

GO BILLS!!!

Do you really think that Chan Gailey is just plain stubborn and stupid?

I like Spiller a ton, and can't wait to see him next year, but he gets his 5 yards a carry by running for 2, -3, 4, 1 and 25 yards (not always, and a slight exaggeration but I think you know what I mean). Those holes are open because we simply do not run that much. A lot of times we try and we get stuffed. Granted, I wish we would run Spiller a little more myself, but that really boils down to 2-3 more carries a game. And if we picked up a few more first downs, like we did earlier in the league, he would easily get that.

It's just an opinion. You may be right. But I don't at all think if we ran a lot more we would have the holes in the run game that we sporadically do. I think we would have a lot less.

Please do not say the All-Pro team is a popularity contest, it is not, at all. Look at all of the other starters. Some big names, some not, all of the guys that excelled that weren't expected to are near the top.

Peters is a great player and worth the money, and would have been on the Bills too.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/06/rodgers-tops-brees-easily-megatron-and-allen-lead-all-pro-voting/#more-177937

Peters was offered big money

Peters took the exact same money to go to Philly.

I don't miss him.

Call out the wambulance.

I hate these hindsighty...shoulda drafted Ngata...shoulda kept Pat Wms....shoulda kept Jason Peters posts. We all know they let a ton of talent walk and made poor draft decisions. That's why the Bills have been irrelevant for a dozen years. They did what they did and are where they are. If it's not entertaining, don't go to games or buy Bills t-shirts.

With the incredible support the Bills get relative to the quality of the product, why should the Bills change anything? Remember, they are run by a bean counter.

How much better would the Bills O-line be with Peters, considering the NFL ranks us #1? BTW the Eagles rank #11.

PTR

As I look over the data, Philly and Carolina are both better than us in rush avg yds and total yds (just to name two). It appears to me the ranking is solely based on quarterback sacks allowed because this is the only ascending column. Could be wrong though.

As I look over the data, Philly and Carolina are both better than us in rush avg yds and total yds (just to name two). It appears to me the ranking is solely based on quarterback sacks allowed because this is the only ascending column. Could be wrong though.

It's based on a combo or run and pass protection. The Bills are a still respectable in run blocking.

PTR