Jason Peters -- First Team All-Pro

Please do not say the All-Pro team is a popularity contest, it is not, at all. Look at all of the other starters. Some big names, some not, all of the guys that excelled that weren't expected to are near the top.

Peters is a great player and worth the money, and would have been on the Bills too.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/06/rodgers-tops-brees-easily-megatron-and-allen-lead-all-pro-voting/#more-177937

Edited by Kelly the Dog

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was EASILY the best left tackle in the entire league last year, notwithstanding that he was protecting a lefty QB - it didn't matter.

And keep in mind that as good as Wood has been, he hasn't seen the field nearly enough over the past 3 seasons. As of now, that trade was a complete debacle, as many of us predicted. Good organizations do not let premier LTs go in their prime.

The Bills are not a good organization.

I liked Peters and I'm always in favor of players getting as much as they can get. However, he handled his contract situation like a complete douche. He showed up out of shape at the start of the season and put other players' health as risk. While he got his fat butt in shape and rotated in and out of the lineup, the Bills started 4-0. The Bills' best record when PEters was a starter was 7-9. Even in his all pro season this year, the Eagles went 8-8 and lost to the Bills.

Peters won't have made one difference in the Bills' W-L record. And if both players could stay healthy, I'd take a Bell and Wood for Peters trade anyday of the week. LT is the most overrated position in the NFL. Let's turn the page. It's been 4 years now.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

It is sad that he is not a Buffalo Bill. The guy even grew up a Bills fan. He just wanted to get paid (as we all do) what he was worth. I am glad he is doing well. I also am glad that he is not playing for one of our division rivals.

Please do not say the All-Pro team is a popularity contest, it is not, at all. Look at all of the other starters. Some big names, some not, all of the guys that excelled that weren't expected to are near the top.

Peters is a great player and worth the money, and would have been on the Bills too.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/06/rodgers-tops-brees-easily-megatron-and-allen-lead-all-pro-voting/#more-177937

Is it ok to agree with all of this and still be happy he's not on our team? Can I be happy for his success while fully understanding the Bills' decision to cut ties with him? Because I am and I do. Given their respective positions and relative entrenchment at the time, it's better for everybody that they parted ways.

GO BILLS!!!

Is it ok to agree with all of this and still be happy he's not on our team? Can I be happy for his success while fully understanding the Bills' decision to cut ties with him? Because I am and I do. Given their respective positions and relative entrenchment at the time, it's better for everybody that they parted ways.

GO BILLS!!!

Considering they had absolutely no backup plan when they dealt him, it's hard to respect their decision one iota...

GO BILLS!!!

But wasn't he traded simply because he wanted a long-term extension and top-tackle money? I don't remember him being disgruntled in any way, but I could be wrong. Seems to me in this case that the Bills were, ahem, just cheap.

I liked Peters and I'm always in favor of players getting as much as they can get. However, he handled his contract situation like a complete douche. He showed up out of shape at the start of the season and put other players' health as risk. While he got his fat butt in shape and rotated in and out of the lineup, the Bills started 4-0. The Bills' best record when PEters was a starter was 7-9. Even in his all pro season this year, the Eagles went 8-8 and lost to the Bills.

Peters won't have made one difference in the Bills' W-L record. And if both players could stay healthy, I'd take a Bell and Wood for Peters trade anyday of the week. LT is the most overrated position in the NFL.

Teams win with stud star players. Every sport. Every year. Period. You need a few of them in football, at almost any position, and when you get them it's important if not essential to keep them, with some but few exceptions.

FWIW, I'm quite surprised a serious football fan and good poster like yourself would use a team stat like 7-9 was the best the Bills did with him on the team as if that is significant. It's really foolish, IMO.

Up until this year, Patrick Willis wasn't any good, huh? Up until this year, Calvin Johnson wasn't any good, huh? Demarcus Ware used to be good, but now he isn't. Look where he got the Cowboys? Same with Nick Mangold.

But wasn't he traded simply because he wanted a long-term extension and top-tackle money? I don't remember him being disgruntled in any way, but I could be wrong. Seems to me in this case that the Bills were, ahem, just cheap.

Disgruntled may be an understatement. Unless missing all of the offseason workouts, OTAs, mini-camp, and training camp while not returning phone calls is merely being disgruntled.

I don't fault him for being pissed, especially when he saw what guys like Dockery and Walker made. But there are more professional ways of going about your business.

GO BILLS!!!

He was disgruntled about the money being offered. He wasn't disgruntled about the Bills or Buffalo or anything else at all, and would have gladly signed with the Bills if they offered him what he thought he was worth, what other teams thought he was worth, and what he clearly is worth, based on production. The idea that he wanted out of Buffalo was complete and utter crap. He wanted to be paid what he was worth in the league. He liked it in Buffalo and always said he did.

He was disgruntled about the money being offered. He wasn't disgruntled about the Bills or Buffalo or anything else at all, and would have gladly signed with the Bills if they offered him what he thought he was worth, what other teams thought he was worth, and what he clearly is worth, based on production. The idea that he wanted out of Buffalo was complete and utter crap. He wanted to be paid what he was worth in the league. He liked it in Buffalo and always said he did.

This is exactly, 100% correct. It is a well-know fact among the league (denied only by a handful of die-hards on this Board) that the Bills do not want to pay premium dollars for personnel. They just won't do it. The Peters situation was just another tired example of this. It should come as no surprise to anyone when Stevie J walks this offseason. They won't pay the going rate, and they'll find plenty of excuses to appease their fans when those players leave for greener pastures.

GO BILLS!!!

The position that the Bills rarely know the actual worth of a player and rarely get it right? No, you cannot think that. ;)

And the Eagles still managed to MISS the playoffs even with this All-Pro tackle. Sorry, football success is all about coaching, QB and chemistry. It'd be nice to have him here but the Bills would still be 6-10.

Of course he made all pro. Despite what some of the whiny Bills fans say that acted like jilted ex girlfriends when he wanted to be paid like the elite LT he was and is he is a tremendous talent. They make up all kinds of sour grapes loser excuses like "he didn't want to be here", "he wasn't that good", "probowls are a popularity contest" "how many games did team 'X' win with him". Laughable! Morons.

It's funny that the guy was making probowls on one of the most UNPOPULAR teams in the NFL, the Buffalo Bills. We took the time to develop a UFA TE into a probowl LT and then as usual instead of reaping the benefits for years to come we let talent leave the team and tried to get by on the cheap. I wish the guy all the luck in the world and instead place blame where it is deserved on Ralph for refusing to give the guy a pay raise when we was promoted from RT to LT.

Every probowl that this guy CONTINUES to make makes his detractors in Buffalo look more and more wrong year after year. Despite his continued performance there will be whiny Buffalo fans that don't have the integrity to admit that the guy is good, REALLY GOOD and it was Ralph's fault he's not here! It's not like we were in danger of going over the cap or anything :wallbash:

Edited by PDaDdy

Considering they had absolutely no backup plan when they dealt him, it's hard to respect their decision one iota...

I don't think any team can have a readily available backup plan for replacing a perennial All Pro LT. They are rare to say the least. You plug in your replacement and hope for the best.

I don't want to conflate the issues of why the Bills and Peters parted ways and why Demetrius Bell isn't as good as Peters is. One has nothing to do with the other.

GO BILLS!!!