My first time at Gillette Stadium

I've lived in New England for many years and I've never been to a Patriots game or actually watched a live event at Gillette Stadium. I have, however, been to many NFL games in different parts of the country and quite a few in Orchard Park.

A friend and I went to the Pats/Bills on Sunday and it was a horrible user experience, the game not withstanding.

1. Constant, excessively loud hard rock music blasting from the speakers throughout the game. Now, I'm a big rock music fan and loud is good, but this was way over the top. It was clear that whomever was in charge of the music was playing their own personal favorites as AC/DC and Motley Crue ruled the day. I can't imagine someone with a family actually tolerating this >90db hammering during the entire game, barely cutting off when the ball was in play.

2. Constant flow of people in the aisles as well in and out of their seats. I must have stood up more than 50 times to let fans out or back in to the row. I have no clue what they were going to do, but I've never seen this much activity not related to the event, anywhere. Not at a sports event, concert or any live performance. It was baffling.

3. People standing up when there was very little going on down on the field, so of course we have to stand to see the field and then the people behind us... Some folks actually stood up for most of the game talking to their friends, not watching the field at all.

4. Maybe I'm spoiled, being from Buffalo, but $125 tickets, $50 parking, $8 for a hot chocolate are a ripoff given the user experience inside the stadium.

1. Constant, excessively loud hard rock music blasting from the speakers throughout the game. Now, I'm a big rock music fan and loud is good, but this was way over the top. It was clear that whomever was in charge of the music was playing their own personal favorites as AC/DC and Motley Crue ruled the day. I can't imagine someone with a family actually tolerating this >90db hammering during the entire game, barely cutting off when the ball was in play.

You could hear it on the broadcast.

I went to the Bills-Pats last year in Foxboro. I had the exact opposite experience and on balance way better than RWS (I am a former season ticket holder).

1. Lines into the stadium were real quick. I got into a line about the same length as a Bills game and was in in less than 5 minutes and that would be 20 at a Bills game.

2. Parking was easier (maybe more costly) and traffic was better in and out.

3. The concourses were very roomy and easier to navigate, unlike the human soup at a Bills home game.

4. I could get the same size Sam Adams for less than a sh!tty Blue or Coors.

5. No problems with people standing up.

6. In game music wasn't louder than RWS and the fact they have some better ways to get the fans into the game, like when a first down is made, made it pretty enjoyable, despite the usual Bills loss.

Honestly, if the Bills stadium was like that, more people might be interested in going. I'm not for a new stadium on taxpayer's costs and think the Ralph functions for what it was designed for. But my feeling after going to Gilette was that I now understand why owners want new stadiums and fans always love 'em.

Outside of the cost of goods point, none of that sounds unlike any other sports arena in the world, and i would bet that even in buffalo the costs are similar, unless you are willing to explore the outlying parking lots...

(in my best Butthead voice) Your're old!!!! :pirate:

I've lived in New England for many years and I've never been to a Patriots game or actually watched a live event at Gillette Stadium. I have, however, been to many NFL games in different parts of the country and quite a few in Orchard Park.

A friend and I went to the Pats/Bills on Sunday and it was a horrible user experience, the game not withstanding.

2. Constant flow of people in the aisles as well in and out of their seats. I must have stood up more than 50 times to let fans out or back in to the row. I have no clue what they were going to do, but I've never seen this much activity not related to the event, anywhere. Not at a sports event, concert or any live performance. It was baffling.

3. People standing up when there was very little going on down on the field, so of course we have to stand to see the field and then the people behind us... Some folks actually stood up for most of the game talking to their friends, not watching the field at all.

4. Maybe I'm spoiled, being from Buffalo, but $125 tickets, $50 parking, $8 for a hot chocolate are a ripoff given the user experience inside the stadium.

The blaring music during every possible stoppage in play has been one of the worst developments in live sporting events over the past 20 years. Hockey games are awful for this since you are indoors. I can't imagine who that appeals to other than Hot Pockets morons.

Your other observations are typical of a fan base that is only there because it's the cool thing to do. A big portion of the Pats crowd only cares about going to the event (and telling their friends they are going to the event), and not watching football closely. Notice how those same great fans booed their 12-3 team in the first quarter.

This reminds me of one time I was given free tickets to the Knicks home opener. I brought a couple guys who were actually basketball fans, but most of the audience couldn't have cared less what was happening on the court. It was all about chatting with your friends, spotting courtside celebs or checking out some chick who got all sexed up for the occasion.

I was at the game and had a pretty good time, outside of the final score.

- $50 parking is a joke but I parked at Foxboro Truck Terminal north of the stadium and got onto I-95 in minutes after the game. The Boston Bills Backers tailgate is behind the Liquor Mart across Rt.1. GREAT party!

- Patriot Place is pretty amazing but you need people with money to throw around to make it work. I could see something similar but scaled down at RWS.

- For the first time going to games in Foxboro I didn't get hassled by a--hole Pats fans. In fact they were pretty nice...once they were up 4 TDs.

- The wide concourses are great. Whoever designed RWS, FedEx Field, or the Metrodome with those narrow concourses is an idiot. Very nice selection of concessions and not as expensive as I thought they'd be.

- There are a lot of standing room areas around the stadium. I am very tall and get very uncomfortable in a cramped seat so I'd rather stand or lean on a rail.

PTR

Plus I imagine that there were a lot of Patriots fans and New Englanders in attendance - that alone would make it suck. No offense, but Bostonians are intolerable.

I've lived in the Boston area for 10 plus years, and got a laugh out of this. Bruins/ Sabres games in Boston are brutal, as well. I imagine that it will be worse after the Lucic hit on Miller (and rightly so).

At least we don't have a MLB team going in to Fenway (Yankees notwithstanding).

The blaring music during every possible stoppage in play has been one of the worst developments in live sporting events over the past 20 years. Hockey games are awful for this since you are indoors. I can't imagine who that appeals to other than Hot Pockets morons.

Your other observations are typical of a fan base that is only there because it's the cool thing to do. A big portion of the Pats crowd only cares about going to the event (and telling their friends they are going to the event), and not watching football closely. Notice how those same great fans booed their 12-3 team in the first quarter.

This reminds me of one time I was given free tickets to the Knicks home opener. I brought a couple guys who were actually basketball fans, but most of the audience couldn't have cared less what was happening on the court. It was all about chatting with your friends, spotting courtside celebs or checking out some chick who got all sexed up for the occasion.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Been to several Pro hockey and basketball venues and agree this is the single most annoying aspect of the game experience. Used to be able to chat with other fans during the stoppages and now you can't hear anything other than blasting music. Put it to a vote at the gates and I wager 99% of fans would tell them to drop the music.

Plus the stupid antics on the basketball court during time outs. Apparently some marketing guys somewhere are convinced that watching some clown shoot tee shirts into the crowd while loud music plays with flashing lights is entertainment. And then you've got the skating girls cleaning the ice between face offs. While I admit I don't mind seeing this as a coach I don't want my goalie being distracting by 5 or 6 chicks skating around him during the game. I want my goalie focused on the game not on some girl's back-end that just bent over in front of him with a shovel full of ice chips.

I'm so old that I remember the first time going to Foxboro and saying I'll pay for parking and then being sticker shocked when it was $10! That was 1988. Parking has no doubt outstripped the rate of inflation!

I have always found it strange that the more people pay for a seat at a sporting event, the less they use it.