The Official RGIII thread

rayray808

I just don't think it is in Nix's DNA to make the kind of all-in trade it would take to get RG.

He is a stay the course kind of a guy, not a wheeler-dealer.

Plus it is not outside the realm of possibility that he thinks Fitz is his guy.

Edited by CodeMonkey

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The folks who want to do some Oceans 11 complicated trade to get RGIII didn't watch a game last year.

It was the defense and a lack of depth that led to many of those losses. RGIII won't fix either of those problems and makes both current problems...worse by giving away draft picks.

Now, if RGIII were the second coming of Bruce Smith, I might be interested.

Fitz isn't the problem with the Buffalo Bills. He's just not the answer.

This line sums up Fitz perfectly in my opinion.

As to the rest of your well thought out post, I can't disagree in theory with what you are saying.

But a couple of points if I may ...

1) It is not in Nix's DNA, in my opinion, to go all-in and make this kind of a deal.

2) This is year 3 of the ChaNix era. Years 1 and 2 being utterly underwhelming. I suspect a SB isn't even entering Nix's mind. He is thinking about making the playoffs and staying a GM in the NFL.

You make good points, but come draft day I expect to see the Bills picking 10th, or there abouts, and picking whomever they feel is the best player available at the time. For better or for worse.

You are assuming of course that RG3 is more Cam Newton and not Jemarcus Russell. I think in a year where the talent is in the top 5 and were not in the top 5 a crazy deal like this necessary. Lets also realize that if Fitzy gets hurt were screwed because Brad Johnson and the other dude aint got much. Fitzy is a glorified backup who was given a place to shine, but he is nothing more than a backup starting because we draft to poorly.

Does every highly touted black QB have to forgo comparisons to Jamarcus Russell now? I can't imagine a less relevant analog.

The folks who want to do some Oceans 11 complicated trade to get RGIII didn't watch a game last year.

It was the defense and a lack of depth that led to many of those losses. RGIII won't fix either of those problems and makes both current problems...worse by giving away draft picks.

Now, if RGIII were the second coming of Bruce Smith, I might be interested.

:thumbsup:

Most fans don't get that this team still has so many holes at 4-5 positions and also lacks serious depth at many positions that no QB in the league could improve the defensive performance the last few years.

They also don't get that Buddy Nix spent his entire career as a scout, director of scouts and pro personnel, and not as a GM. The man covets his own draft picks and doesn't want to ever get caught up in some foolish trade for one player by giving up 2-3 picks this year and next. The Bills will select the a player with that #10 pick.

Check this article out. It's from Bob Matthews in Rochester who advocates that Buffalo should trade a slew of picks to St. Louis.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20120229/SPORTS0101/302290052/twobillsdrive

Read this pathetic list of Bills draft picks then you will understand why: Williams and Dareus look pretty promising in comparison.

Can you find any top-two picks in consecutive seasons that add up to the long-term value of a franchise QB?

WARNING: This list is not fun to read:

2000 — DE Erik Flowers (26) and FS Tavares Tillman (58)

2001 — CB Nate Clements (21) and DE Aaron Schobel (46)

2002 — OT Mike Williams (4) and WR Josh Reed (36)

2003 — RB Willis McGahee (23) and DE Chris Kelsay (48)

2004 — WR Lee Evans (13) and QB JP Losman (22)

2006 — S Donte Whitner and DT John McCargo (26)

2007 — RB Marshawn Lynch and LB Paul Posluszny (34)

2008 — CB Leodis McKelvin (11) and WR James Hardy (41)

2009 — DE Aaron Maybin (11) and C Eric Wood (28)

2010 — RB C.J. Spiller (9) and DT Torell Troup (41)

2011 — DT Marcell Dareus (3) and CB Aaron Williams (34).

Don't we already have about 20 RG3 threads already?

You are assuming of course that RG3 is more Cam Newton and not Jemarcus Russell. I think in a year where the talent is in the top 5 and were not in the top 5 a crazy deal like this necessary. Lets also realize that if Fitzy gets hurt were screwed because Brad Johnson and the other dude aint got much. Fitzy is a glorified backup who was given a place to shine, but he is nothing more than a backup starting because we draft to poorly.

Brad Johmson?

Pretty sure Nix WAS NOT the GM when we traded up for Levitre. I think that was the last draft of the Russ Brandon debacle. The Spiller/Troup/Carrington draft was Nix's first as GM.

Edited by FluffHead

1330579796[/url]' post='2392224']

Since Nix has taken over as GM, the Bills have traded during the draft once that I could see. They traded a 3rd and a 4th to the Cowboys for a 2nd to draft Levitre (a stiff price?). They are the antithesis of the Patriots, who trade more than anyone. I think this is a good indication that Buffalo just make their picks where they are and will just take the BPA at 10. And remember that Whaley comes from Pittsburgh, who move less than anyone.

So for all the RG3 talk or getting Cincy's 2 picks, it almost assuredly will not happen.

We all know it's unlikely. When a thread asks what the Bills "should" do at 10, the correct answer, IMO, is trade down. Whether or not they can is a different story. They SHOULD try and trade down. In many peoples eyes, we should try trade up for rg3. Both are better than selecting at 10 IMO. Unlikely, yes, but the best option nonetheless.

Why can't we cut Fitzgarbage and get RG3 for 2012 1 & 2 2013 1 & 3 (hell id even throw in a 2012 4 cuz we got 2)... Then when Mario Williams hits FA get him #BOOM problem solved. All the money we have now and the money we get for kicking Fitzgarbo to the curb we'd have enough plus he'd wanna play with RG3 who wouldn't? We need a pass rusher badly so Mario fills that position. The receivers we have aren't that bad they're just not fast but they do get open. The O-line can be addressed in later rounds of this draft not all O-line men have to be drafted in the first two rounds. We will not contend with anybody with Fits at the helm. Don't let the dolphins get Manning, we already can't beat them with Matt Moore so we really won't beat them with a sore neck Manning. Don't get me started on Brady and that Jets Defense... Yea 10 more years a crap in store unless something drastic happens now..

Me like Madden too.

Pretty sure Nix WAS NOT the GM when we traded up for Levitre. I think that was the last draft of the Russ Brandon debacle. The Spiller/Troup/Carrington draft was Nix's first as GM.

Holy cow I think you are right. So, I guess Nix has never traded a pick? Up or Down.

Holy cow I think you are right. So, I guess Nix has never traded a pick? Up or Down.

He has only had 2 drafts as a GM ever, and he is a old school kind of a guy. Not surprising.

In fact I think I remember about this time last year Nix making statements about not liking to trade down or up.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I like RGIII quite a bit, but the Bills are not a QB away from being a contender. Mortgaging two drafts on him would be a gigantic step backwards. Fix the D and Fitz/the Bills will see the postseason before RGIII comes close. We sucked last year because of our ridiculously pathetic defense; not because of Ryan Fitzpatrick.

We all know it's unlikely. When a thread asks what the Bills "should" do at 10, the correct answer, IMO, is trade down. Whether or not they can is a different story. They SHOULD try and trade down. In many peoples eyes, we should try trade up for rg3. Both are better than selecting at 10 IMO. Unlikely, yes, but the best option nonetheless.

With all due respect, the thread asks no such question. The purpose of this thread was to reinforce what most of us already know. The Bills will pick at 10. Not at 3. Not at 17 and 21. They will pick at 10 and it will be the best guy on their board. All this talk of what they should do ignores what they are telling us they are going to do. They will pick at 10.