Mike Pereira: Gruden is a “blowhard”

papazoid

strong words......

“[Gruden] was a loudmouth as a coach who constantly disrespected officials and he is a blowhard in the broadcast booth who spouts off when he doesn’t know what he is talking about,” Pereira wrote in a column for FOXSports.com.

“To me, the second you agree to step into the broadcast booth, you agree to learn the rules. It goes with the job. You, as an announcer, have an obligation to know the rules. You are free to pontificate as to whether or not you like a rule, but you must present the rule first,” Pereira writes.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/29/pereira-gruden-is-a-blowhard-who-doesnt-know-what-hes-talking-about/

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gruden isnt leaving the booth, he floats these rumors every year just to feed his ego

I wish he would go back to coaching though bc that Monday night crew is horrible...maybe he can take Tirico with him

Edited by Max997

strong words......

“[Gruden] was a loudmouth as a coach who constantly disrespected officials and he is a blowhard in the broadcast booth who spouts off when he doesn’t know what he is talking about,” Pereira wrote in a column for FOXSports.com.

“To me, the second you agree to step into the broadcast booth, you agree to learn the rules. It goes with the job. You, as an announcer, have an obligation to know the rules. You are free to pontificate as to whether or not you like a rule, but you must present the rule first,” Pereira writes.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/29/pereira-gruden-is-a-blowhard-who-doesnt-know-what-hes-talking-about/

I wasn't aware of Pereira's tweet, but I too think that Gruden is a ass. On the play in question the LB led with the crown of his helmet. The ref called it spearing if I remember correctly though the receiver wasn't on the ground. That's a PF. Chucky don't know rules.

strong words......

He should have known the rules as a coach.

Agreed. The turning point for me and Jon Gruden was when I was watching him do a Monday Night game against the Colts and he says about Peyton Manning, "This guy here Peyton Manning, I like to call this guy the sheriff." Really? That's what you call him? Awesome nickname. Ever since, I can't take him seriously. Ask the resident meathead in your office and I'm sure he loves Jon Gruden. That is the demographic he appeals to.

Agreed. The turning point for me and Jon Gruden was when I was watching him do a Monday Night game against the Colts and he says about Peyton Manning, "This guy here Peyton Manning, I like to call this guy the sheriff." Really? That's what you call him? Awesome nickname. Ever since, I can't take him seriously. Ask the resident meathead in your office and I'm sure he loves Jon Gruden. That is the demographic he appeals to.

i love john gruden.

i wonder if my head is chewy

Edited by Clippers of Nfl

strong words......

"[Gruden] was a loudmouth as a coach who constantly disrespected officials and he is a blowhard in the broadcast booth who spouts off when he doesn't know what he is talking about," Pereira wrote in a column for FOXSports.com.

"To me, the second you agree to step into the broadcast booth, you agree to learn the rules. It goes with the job. You, as an announcer, have an obligation to know the rules. You are free to pontificate as to whether or not you like a rule, but you must present the rule first," Pereira writes.

http://profootballta...-talking-about/

Sounds to me like Pereira has a point: media should have a responsibility to accuracy and Gruden would merit more respect if he learned the rules then disagreed with the rule or how it's applied rather than acting ignorant. It's far from the only time I've heard him totally off base

He should have known the rules as a coach.

I'm confused on timing here, was it a rule when Gruden was a coach?

Don't like Gruden as a coach and like him even less as an announcer.

Blowhard is the exact word for the guy. Hyperbole, blah blah blah.

The next time he says something interesting will be the first time.

And former players of his have not been flattering to him either calling him dishonest and phony.

The guy is a schyster, IMO.

I agree that Gruden is for the most part unlistenable, but I have to take exception with Pereira's tweet as well. Gruden incorrectly criticizes correct calls at times, for sure, but also points out asinine non-calls and wrong calls as well. NFL officiating was downright poor at times under Pereira's watch, and Pereira was always there to offer some bailout excuse for his officials' calls. Very rarely did he admit his refs dropped the ball, and when he did he usually did it through a league shill intermediary like Peter King.

Yeah he really ruined Brad Johnson. No way he could win a SB with Gruden as coach.

Ba BOOOM!! Nice retort (seriously). QB killer??

Anyway, Gruden is a blowhard. So what? And Pereira works for the competing network now, so he is essentially getting paid to call Gruden names.

To Me, Pereira is a No Tallent desck jocky that gets a check from FOX for....................nothing. He sits in an office on sunday and waits for someone to call him and ask his opinion on a call on the field. Who Cares!! Besides what did people expect From the Former head of officiating? To slob on Grudens comments like he was a god. The only reason why people watch MNF is for Gruden! Jaws and Tirico are like listening to my grandmothers bridge parties. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!

After watching Mike Pereira on NFL Network after Super Bowl XL saying all those horrid calls were right made me lose all respect for the guy. He was, and continues to be, nothing but a shill for the NFL.

This!

Say whatever you want about Gruden, he's just a guy in a booth. But the refs have been getting worse with every passing season. They have been consistently horrible, and are all over in how they call games and interpret rules.

Pereira should just shut up and worry about fixing the problems in his own house first.

I think Gruden has been correct this season in openly questioning some of the officiating calls. There have been a few that were just plain bad. And there were times he was wrong as well, and Tirico had to correct him, but I think most of us can agree, blowhard or not, that NFL officiating has gotten progressively worse over the last several seasons.

Don't like Gruden as a coach and like him even less as an announcer.

Blowhard is the exact word for the guy. Hyperbole, blah blah blah.

The next time he says something interesting will be the first time.

And former players of his have not been flattering to him either calling him dishonest and phony.

The guy is a schyster, IMO.

Agree 100%. I also think those segments with Gruden one-on-one with a quarterback are awful. I keep thinking that the QB must want to just get up and leave. It's a rite of passage or something. You are the QB on MNF, you have to put up with a one-on-one with Gruden. I change the channel and wait for it to be over.

Edited by Gray Beard