Mike Pereira: Gruden is a “blowhard”

papazoid

Yeah he really ruined Brad Johnson. No way he could win a SB with Gruden as coach.

Google jon gruden quarterback killer, read the forum posts, and see the point i was making.

really its never been a secret. of course some of us have tracked, etc. the teams Gruden coached

before his brilliant super bowl title.

As for his super bowl, just for fun look at his record for the 2 years after his big win with Johnson.

Gruden is famous for drooling over the quarterback of the week, then pissing on them later. Right now tebow

is his favorite flavor. Wonder how long that will last? He's a self serving jerk, believe what you want.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After watching Mike Pereira on NFL Network after Super Bowl XL saying all those horrid calls were right made me lose all respect for the guy. He was, and continues to be, nothing but a shill for the NFL.

AMEN - because Gruden has the guts to point out this officiating is horrible he's a blow hard, while Torico just pretends the bad calls never happened. Just a network controled by the NFL and a play by play guy who after the first "allegations" refuses to say a negative word about anyone and I mean anyone

Edited by CardinalScotts

He is a very polarizing guy. No on seems indifferent.

I am not a big fan of his. I think he comes across like an arrogant jerk more then a passionate motivator.

Polarizing is the right way to describe him. Personally I like him, he actually forms his own opinions instead of just trying to say what the "public" wants to hear. He also sounds genuinely excited about football and knows the game.

The worst Monday night crew ever IMO, by far, was when Dennis Miller was there. He made me want to vommit every time he talked. He knew nothing about football, and tried to force awful jokes down in between plays.

I don't have any problems with Gruden. Yeah he's a blowhard, so what? I just think back and am sooooooooooooo glad I don't have to listen to Tony Kornheiser or Dennis Miller anymore. It's nice to have guys who know about football in the booth.

Exactly...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I don't mind listening to him. Just when I watch him talk rubs me the wrong way with the smirk on his face.

If you don't mind listening to a coach who doesn't know the rules. He is the guy who gets excited about going to applebees every friday night to hit on the 20 something semi attractive waitress.

This!

Say whatever you want about Gruden, he's just a guy in a booth. But the refs have been getting worse with every passing season. They have been consistently horrible, and are all over in how they call games and interpret rules.

Pereira should just shut up and worry about fixing the problems in his own house first.

I am not debating whether you are right or wrong but I cannot be convinced that 1 million replay angles on 5000x5000resolution screens do not allow us to see where they are wrong and where they aren't.

Shirely, you have to add that we have much better angles and coverage of games. Just 15 years ago I would sit and watch scrolls on CNN and during games for scores. Ten years ago I would have to watch NFL prime time for just a few seconds of footage. Now I have it in my lap or on my Sirius every Sunday.

strong words......

“[Gruden] was a loudmouth as a coach who constantly disrespected officials and he is a blowhard in the broadcast booth who spouts off when he doesn’t know what he is talking about,” Pereira wrote in a column for FOXSports.com.

“To me, the second you agree to step into the broadcast booth, you agree to learn the rules. It goes with the job. You, as an announcer, have an obligation to know the rules. You are free to pontificate as to whether or not you like a rule, but you must present the rule first,” Pereira writes.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/29/pereira-gruden-is-a-blowhard-who-doesnt-know-what-hes-talking-about/

Always thought Gruden was an over rated azz. Does anyone know if and when he played pro ball?

Pereira went Hollywood in an embarrassing fashion when FOX dialed him up. He acts like a jacked up karaoke douche at the local pub. Gruden is 1000 times better than a lot of analysts because he has an opinion, like it or not- and he has the credentials to support his view. Pereira may have held a position of significance with the league, but he comes off like an attention mongering wanna be- officials should be not be 'the show', during or after their careers. Eccch...

Edited by WinBeforeYouLeave

Agreed. The turning point for me and Jon Gruden was when I was watching him do a Monday Night game against the Colts and he says about Peyton Manning, "This guy here Peyton Manning, I like to call this guy the sheriff." Really? That's what you call him? Awesome nickname. Ever since, I can't take him seriously. Ask the resident meathead in your office and I'm sure he loves Jon Gruden. That is the demographic he appeals to.

agreed! very true. by being on tv his credibility has taken a serious nose dive!!!!

Agreed. The turning point for me and Jon Gruden was when I was watching him do a Monday Night game against the Colts and he says about Peyton Manning, "This guy here Peyton Manning, I like to call this guy the sheriff." Really? That's what you call him? Awesome nickname. Ever since, I can't take him seriously. Ask the resident meathead in your office and I'm sure he loves Jon Gruden. That is the demographic he appeals to.

agreed. so true. by being on tv his credibility has taken a huge dive.

I'm so-so on gruden - like the energy, knowledge and passion... Understand the positivity... Don't like the arrogance

but the fact that announcers don't know the rules and it creates a lot of fan misunderstanding is a drum I've been beating for quite some time.

I am not debating whether you are right or wrong but I cannot be convinced that 1 million replay angles on 5000x5000resolution screens do not allow us to see where they are wrong and where they aren't.

Shirely, you have to add that we have much better angles and coverage of games. Just 15 years ago I would sit and watch scrolls on CNN and during games for scores. Ten years ago I would have to watch NFL prime time for just a few seconds of footage. Now I have it in my lap or on my Sirius every Sunday.

And then we can all come back on here and harp on the calls against us so even an obvious innocent call being wrong because of the refs position can live in infamy for years.

Unless we benefit from the miss. Nope. Nevermind - disregard that. We only get screwed by these bad calls from what I read.

Always thought Gruden was an over rated azz. Does anyone know if and when he played pro ball?

Gruden did not play pro ball. He was a Qb at Dayton from 1982 to 1984 and was a back up to Phil nussman

He went into coaching in 1986 as a grad assistant at Tennessee

strong words......

“[Gruden] was a loudmouth as a coach who constantly disrespected officials and he is a blowhard in the broadcast booth who spouts off when he doesn’t know what he is talking about,” Pereira wrote in a column for FOXSports.com.

“To me, the second you agree to step into the broadcast booth, you agree to learn the rules. It goes with the job. You, as an announcer, have an obligation to know the rules. You are free to pontificate as to whether or not you like a rule, but you must present the rule first,” Pereira writes.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/29/pereira-gruden-is-a-blowhard-who-doesnt-know-what-hes-talking-about/

What ever, The rule sucks and I agree with Gruden in that it's practically impossible to tackle any more with out getting fouled, unless you're a RB because the League doesn't care about them.

"Pariah" must have some thin skin and a huge ego if Some one has the "audacity" to question his supreme view of the rules.

He's good in the booth, lot better than jaws.

Some people are drawn to obnoxious buffoons. I prefer intelligent commentary from people who actually study film, like jaws.

Gruden is an ass. That's why he is polarizing. Some people like Rex ryan for the same reason.