Mike Pereira: Gruden is a “blowhard”

papazoid

here's a good article explaining the details of this dust up between Pereira & Gruden:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Pereira-8217-s-rip-job-on-Gruden-just-one-more-?urn=nfl-wp14854

Thanks for the link! Excellent article. The best part is that Periera is essentially a nobody running in a field crowded by guys who coached and played in the NFL. He was a ref.

He's oblivious to his place in this realm. He's a guy who they cut to to interpret the rules during live broadcasts--that's it.

He should speak only when spoken to.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that Gruden is for the most part unlistenable, but I have to take exception with Pereira's tweet as well. Gruden incorrectly criticizes correct calls at times, for sure, but also points out asinine non-calls and wrong calls as well. NFL officiating was downright poor at times under Pereira's watch, and Pereira was always there to offer some bailout excuse for his officials' calls. Very rarely did he admit his refs dropped the ball, and when he did he usually did it through a league shill intermediary like Peter King.

Yep.

Pereira is arrogant and useless. What's the point of showcasing this guy? I'd rather his cronies know the rules. He offers nothing to a broadcast. It drives me nuts when they go to him.

I want to know the rules or at least have a better understanding of them. What I don't want is the opinion of what this pompous ass has seen. Hardly objective.

strong words......

“[Gruden] was a loudmouth as a coach who constantly disrespected officials and he is a blowhard in the broadcast booth who spouts off when he doesn’t know what he is talking about,” Pereira wrote in a column for FOXSports.com.

“To me, the second you agree to step into the broadcast booth, you agree to learn the rules. It goes with the job. You, as an announcer, have an obligation to know the rules. You are free to pontificate as to whether or not you like a rule, but you must present the rule first,” Pereira writes.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/29/pereira-gruden-is-a-blowhard-who-doesnt-know-what-hes-talking-about/

PONTIFICATE ?????????? DAM U B TALKIN ABUV MI HED BRA !!!!! :blink: :blink:

Very bad news for Jon Gruden MNF haters. Don't have a link but Chucky says "I ain't going nowhere, and I'm looking forward to being in the booth with the boys" 12/31/11.

Man that putz drives me nuts on MNF.

I. don't think he's as bad in the booth as most think and feel he's a better coach than most give him credit for. Not my favorite in either category, however