A Baltimore Perspective On Lee Evans !!

T master

For all of you that at the beginning of the year were so PO'd when we traded our most valuable asset at the WR position to the Ravens , the one that had all the speed that we needed to open up the field for Stevie to do his magic you need to go & read the side bar article with the same heading as this post has on Buffalo Rumblings & be very thankful !!

Apparently the Ravens are looking at the Evans trade as a total waste of a draft pick !! They even mentioned something about his attitude & that that may have been why the Bills got rid of him ?? Go figure ?? I always thought he was a positive type guy but maybe he was just full of excuses for his performance & the only good thing he had to show in his career was that one year with JP .

They also said that he showed little effort in braking up a INT against the Browns , could that have been why he could never get open when he was with the Bills because he was just collecting a pay check ??????? :flirt:

But i just thought that we could get a bit of redemption for all of you that cried :cry: so bad when we traded him !! Check it out & see what they have to say ...

When you go to the link it's on the 5th page !! Enjoy !!!!

Edited by T master

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-5-things-ravens-browns-1225,0,7743768.photogallery

5. It's probably time to concede the Lee Evans trade was a mistake.

( MCT photo / December 24, 2011 )

NFL players are a bit like luxury cars. Some of them -- the Ray Lewis model -- can perform a high level for more than a decade, and even when they start to slow down, it's a gradual decline. They lose a little speed, a little power, but they're still reliable. They just can't wow you like the used to. Other models just conk out, virtually out of the blue, and if you don't sell them before it happens, you're stuck with a lemon.

It really looked like the Ravens practically stole Evans from the Bills for a fourth-round pick in the preseason. Buffalo players were furious when the trade was announced, taking to Twitter to question whether their team was even trying to win. And Evans looked good in the preseason, opening up the field for Joe Flacco and frequently getting separation from his defender. The Ravens didn't want to give up a second-round pick for someone like Malcom Floyd or Vincent Jackson, and it seemed like they had found an excellent solution to that problem.

But at some point, Evans' odometer crossed an invisible barrier, and now it looks like the Bills robbed the Ravens. Cameron and Flacco were clearly trying to get Evans involved Saturday -- he was targeted four times -- but it's just not happening. Evans’ injury obviously played a role. There is really no way the Ravens could have seen that coming. But he's been such a nonfactor, you almost have to wonder whether Buffalo had concerns about his attitude and decided to move him before it became obvious he was nearing his expiration date. In his post-game news conference, Harbaugh made a subtle allusion that he wasn't exactly thrilled with the Evans' effort to break up the pass in the end zone that was intercepted by Sheldon Brown.

"Obviously, today, we had some chances, but we didn’t make the best of them, for whatever reason," Evans said. "I’m going to put it on my shoulders and say that it’s me. And until I can correct that, there’s not much else I can say."

Edited by Carey Bender

But, but, but...I thought Lee Evans single handidly changed the entire dynamic of that division?

Buddy Nix flat out said to the media, he can't run any routes over the middle. Aka a poor route runner that doesn't even do the basics correct like finishing a route. A one trick pony along the sideline and doesn't fit in with their current style of offense. But evans doesn't have the speed he did a few years ago so I'm not even sure how effective he is on the deep routes. Right now he is a 4th or 5th wide receiver on that ravens offense. He is not even on the field in 3 wr sets...lol

I can't see the link? Can you re-post it.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

For all of you that at the beginning of the year were so PO'd when we traded our most valuable asset at the WR position to the Ravens , the one that had all the speed that we needed to open up the field for Stevie to do his magic you need to go & read the side bar article with the same heading as this post has on Buffalo Rumblings & be very thankful !!

Apparently the Ravens are looking at the Evans trade as a total waste of a draft pick !! They even mentioned something about his attitude & that that may have been why the Bills got rid of him ?? Go figure ?? I always thought he was a positive type guy but maybe he was just full of excuses for his performance & the only good thing he had to show in his career was that one year with JP .

They also said that he showed little effort in braking up a INT against the Browns , could that have been why he could never get open when he was with the Bills because he was just collecting a pay check ??????? :flirt:

But i just thought that we could get a bit of redemption for all of you that cried :cry: so bad when we traded him !! Check it out & see what they have to say ...

Just more evidence of good personnel decisions made since the Bills hired a real GM and got rid of Modrak. They had a great draft, and obviously got rid of an overrated player after he hit is prime. Not only that, but they got a decent draft pick in return. The Bronco's only got a 6th rounder for Lloyd, a much better receiver IMO.

Despite the let down this year (at least partially due to injuries), I still feel better about this team than I have in a long time. Next year will be key to seeing if the Bills are actually building something, or if this was just another "2008".

Well we got a 4th rounder and possibly cashed out on one assett after a decade of drafting high and selling low. Good. Combine that with a possible 4th or 5th rounder comp pick, plus what was it we got for Lynch, a 6th remaining? Not necessarily top draft picks, but those extra picks bring us up to 10 picks. This front office hasn't been terrible of late of finding functional players in mid to late rounds the last 2 years or so.

I think the jury is still out on who got the best of this trade. I believe at the time the Bills thought Marcus Easley was going to step in and take his place. Well, unfortunately that didn't happen. Others (Jones, Nelson, Spiller, Smith, etc.) have stepped in, but I still don't think the BIlls have really replaced Evans. Hopefully that will happen with a solid draft pick, or key free agent signing, or maybe Easley does make it back - he seemed to have a lot of promise. Let's hope!

Regardless, I think next year will be when a real evaluation can be made on who got the best of this deal.

I think the jury is still out on who got the best of this trade. I believe at the time the Bills thought Marcus Easley was going to step in and take his place. Well, unfortunately that didn't happen. Others (Jones, Nelson, Spiller, Smith, etc.) have stepped in, but I still don't think the BIlls have really replaced Evans. Hopefully that will happen with a solid draft pick, or key free agent signing, or maybe Easley does make it back - he seemed to have a lot of promise. Let's hope!

Regardless, I think next year will be when a real evaluation can be made on who got the best of this deal.

Did you read the article ???????? We didn't trade Evans for Easley we just thought like you said Easley would take his place , it makes no sense to keep a player around to see him do little or nothing for the team . At least in this situation we got something for him unlike letting players go or releasing them & getting nothing what so ever in their place !!

As far as replacing Evans , Jones did as much as Evans would have if he would have stayed here !!

I think the jury (being the Ravens article) has spoken to who got the better end of this one for once !!!

Edited by T master

I disagree, the jury is out and has announced their verdict, SOLID win for the Bills. Regardless of whether the Bills have replaced Evans, they are certainly no worse off without him. They dumped his salary, and gained a mid round draft pick. Losing Easly, Parrish, and Jones was unfortunate, but Evans was hurt as well.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

WRT Easley, no one knew he was going to miss the season with a heart condition. But then again, no one knew Evans would be injured most of the year. Ultimately the trade worked great for the Bills, and poorly for the Ravens. But it was just for a (late) 4th rounder.

In the 4th round of the 2011 draft, the Bills took Hairston and Searcy. Both have been major contributors this season already. Mostly due to injuries, but Searcy has also been a big player on Special Teams.

If we can come out of the 2012 4th round with equivalent picks, we DEFINITELY got the better of this trade.

I disagree, the jury is out and has announced their verdict, SOLID win for the Bills. Regardless of whether the Bills have replaced Evans, they are certainly no worse off without him. They dumped his salary, and gained a mid round draft pick. Losing Easly, Parrish, and Jones was unfortunate, but Evans was hurt as well.

Now if they would just use salary dumped to find a player or two who can contribute. Then it would be a great trade.

In the 4th round of the 2011 draft, the Bills took Hairston and Searcy. Both have been major contributors this season already. Mostly due to injuries, but Searcy has also been a big player on Special Teams.

If we can come out of the 2012 4th round with equivalent picks, we DEFINITELY got the better of this trade.

True, the 4th rounders last year turned out pretty well.

nix didnt say evans couldnt run middle routes, he said he wouldnt

in hindsight its perfectly clear why the bills moved evans - they planned to run a middle passing offense with tons of picks and screens that required the wrs to block. evans obviously didnt want to do that at this stage of his career. the bills totally won that trade, not so much cuz evans got injured cuz you cant predict that kind of thing but because their offense was a total mismatch for him and because evans has been ineffective in balt even when healthy

i was disappointed in the trade when it happened but i said i would give nix the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise on this. and as it looks now it appears obvious buddy fleeced the nightclub murderers err i mean ravens

:lol:

That was a classic.

There were a few people raving about how he pulled all the coverage for Boldin and Rice and was the silent factor in the destruction of the Steelers in week 1. Then we literally have not heard a word about him since. You know who you are Mods/posters.

I know at some point I commented that Evans looked to me like he had alligator arms and that he looked like a guy who had given up when the season was only half over in 2010. I really thought that his attitude would improve when he got traded to a team that would likely be in the playoffs. I'm a little bit surprised to find that the verdict has come in that the poor effort that he had for his last couple of seasons with the Bills is continuing now that he is on the Ravens.

A little premature gloating I would say. Lee has been hurt all year but played through some of it. No off season to practice the new offense he is learning and develop chemistry with Flacco. By the time he had even gotten on the field Flacco had already developed chemistry with Torrey Smith in addition to Boldin making Evans a 3rd option at best.

Given that our #2 WR for the last several weeks has been a backup QB Brad Smith and our #3 WR was #6 on the depth chart to start the year I am STILL disappointed that we let him go.

Did you read the article ???????? We didn't trade Evans for Easley we just thought like you said Easley would take his place , it makes no sense to keep a player around to see him do little or nothing for the team . At least in this situation we got something for him unlike letting players go or releasing them & getting nothing what so ever in their place !!

As far as replacing Evans , Jones did as much as Evans would have if he would have stayed here !!

I think the jury (being the Ravens article) has spoken to who got the better end of this one for once !!!

Chix, Nailey, and the rest of the Bills fans will have the opportunity to see what Evans can contribute to the Ravens post-season.

The Fat Lady has not sung (croaked?) for the Ravens. That Ravens "jury" could change its verdict fast.