Buddy Nix

156 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Buddy Nix

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I gave him a "D." I'm all for building through the draft, and his draft picks are startring to look and play better. However, I wish he would do more through free agency. At any rate, we've gone from 4-12 to what looks like 5-11. Not a whole lot of improvement to crow about.

I give him a "D" when you look at the reality of the situation the team has at best stayed flat as compared to the last regime. The grade moves to a "F" if the Bills do not identify a new DC in the offseason. Nix has had two drafts and two free agency periods to bring the talent level up. The claims of "we are thin" on the roster are ringing hollow. It's his job to turn this around. His drafts do not grade out well and he has done little to upgrade talent through FA. If the Bills do not figure out the defensive situation 2012 promises to be another long season.

BTW - this does not let Fitz off the hook. We've likely seen him peak. In either 2012 0r 2013 the Bills must identify a QB in the draft.

D. The Spiller pick flat out made me laugh. Injury aside, trading Lee Evans was dumb and created another void on the roster. He basically gave away Marshawn Lynch who has been a beast for Seattle. For a guy with a scouting background, his drafts look very ordinary to me. The Brad Smith signing was dumb. I have no issue with taking a chance on Merriman. It didn't work out but was worth the risk. The Bills are a complete mess. I see no hope on the horizon anytime soon.

Grade him and state your case if you'd like. Just wondering where everyone is at.

I give him a C for fielding a team and coaches that have delivered a worse record than when he took over. And this after 2 years of his leadership. I did not grade him lower cos the 2011 draft class shows a lot of promise.

What is your grade ?

Edited by Fan in Chicago

I've got him as a C+. They showed some signs of life this year early, but injuries to the O-Line, Freddie, Kyle Williams, and the WR corp hurt.

The defense is terrible. Coaching staff on that side of the ball needs to replaced.

The Fitz contract is looking like a huge mistake and they should address the QB position in the draft, however, I do think that Fitz could benefit from at least one more WR and a protoypical TE.

I give him a C for fielding a team and coaches that are worse than when he took over, after 2 years of his leadership. I did not grade him lower cos the 2011 draft class shows a lot of promise.

What is your grade ?

D minus. I could base that grade on a lot of things that he's done but the fact that he has completely neglected the most important position on Defense (OLB/Edge rusher) says all I need to know about him. Merriman and Kelsay were the starters with absolutely no depth behind them. There is not another NFL team in the league that would be starting Spencer Johnson at OLB. Buddy's team does. D Freekin minus. :sick:

I selected B. Buddy has been around, knows what it takes to form a competitive company and how to work the brass. Most importantly, IMO, he loves the game and the League. No one hits on all their picks/acquisitions, but I believe he knows where to find the intangibles in a prospect that historically pan out. I also believe the succession plan with Haley provides a likely wonderkid with even more valuable insight and protects our future.

This said, I also believe he has to make changes in the coaching staff this off season as the defensive methodology is quite apparently at odds with Gailey's offensive direction.

For as poorly as they've played in recent weeks, IMO, we have better all around talent than we've had in years and much of this is his doing. Certainly, through attrition, his young picks are learning a lot on the fly, which will make them better palyers next year.

JMO

I gave him a D.

I think he's 1 for 2 on the draft. I really like the SEC heavy 2011 draft. I think the Lee Evans trade was a positive. Lynch also had to go.

However, he earns the D by:

1. Not making the call to fire Edwards last year;

2. The Terrell Troup selection, despite knowledge he had back issues;

3. Not obtaining real OLBs, even if they are marginal. Putting 300 lb. linemen out there all year at that position is inexcusable.

4. Not obtaining a top notch TE through either draft.

i gave him a D also. i think the troup pick looks absolutely horrible , obviously. i thought his picking up urbik , pears, drafting of hairston was decent. but just too many negatives, lack of agressiveness in free-agency and allowing gailey to continue with edwards as DC are my primary concerns. i realize the appearance of him getting involved with gailey over coaches looks bad, but he is the GM, and it falls on him. it would not be the first time a GM got involved in coaching decisions. finally, not standing up to overdorf and littman is troubling.

Edited by dwight in philly

He gets a D because the 2010 draft was so bad and although the 2011 draft looks better that isnt saying much

I cant give him credit for taking Dareus, it was a no brainer pick. I guess we can give him credit for not screwing it up

I like Williams but still think they should have went pass rusher there. Sheppard and Hairston can play in the NFL but are they starters?

I like Rodgers though

I gave him a B. Our receiving corp at the start of the season was made up mostly of UFAs. Buddy brought them here. His drafts have been above average (for Bills drafts). He brought in TE Chandler using the trick of going for another player on Dallas' practice squad, forcing Dallas to activate that player and moving Chandler off it's active roster to it's practice squad. (I think I have that right.) There have been some mis-steps to be sure. He signed Fits to a big money deal when Fits was flying very high for Fits. But many would have done the same including Jerry Sullivan ("Just pay the man".) Yes he traded Marshaun for a 4th rd. pick. Most here demanded Buffalo get rid of him. Now those that demanded his departure are looking at Seattle with really strong second thoughts.

Buddy need more time, obviously. And he should get it. Buffalo can't afford to be changing GMs and coaches every two years. With Buffalo's record, hiring quality GMs and coaches has been difficult. A stint here can be a career killer. I think Buddy knows what he's doing. He will make some mistakes. All of them do that, even Belicheat. (I bet he still kicks himself for trading Seymour. His defense hasn't been the same since).

2010 draft: D

2011 draft: B+ (so far)

Decision to spend big $ on Fitz while Jackson and Johnson are not extended: Incomplete, cause we don't know how much his hands are tied by Ralph's lackeys.

Overall: C

I'm curious as to the B+ for 2011 draft - Dareus is only sure pick. Williams and Sheppard seeing time but neither has been a difference maker.

To this date, Buddy Nix has a D grade, but can possibly achieve an F by seasons end.

In 2010, he drafted CJ Spiller to a team that already had Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch and plenty of other needs. In the second round and third round, he reached for Torrel Troup and Alex Carrington to help provide depth for the 3-4 change. These two players have yet to make an impact on this team, and look like depth players to date. The 2010 draft, Buddy Nix's first draft as GM should be LARGELY considered a failure on all accounts.

To start the 2011 season, Buddy Nix trades Lee Evans, a questionable move which would expose our depth later on in the season. In the 2011 draft, Nix chose Marcel Dareus which looks like a great selection although other draftees before/after Marcel have arguably impacted their teams more. We can also note that the team already had Kyle Williams, and an argument can be make that we should have traded back. I'll go on record and support the #3 pick of Dareus. In the second and third round, Aaron Williams and Kelvin Sheppard was selected, both solid picks at positions of need. The 2011 draft should be considered a bright spot on a very gloomy two years for Buddy Nix.

Key moves that I think has led Buddy Nix to a insuffienct grade:

1. Hiring Chan Gailey, a coach that insisted on changing our 4-3 defense into a 3-4. This move has created more positional holes, and has arguably set us back two years. Our defense has regressed significantly, and our draft selections for the 3-4 defense have yet to make any impact. It seems inevitable that we will switch back to the 4-3 defense. Gailey is also responsible for the hiring of George Edwards.

2. Selecting CJ Spiller in the 2010 draft. At the time, the Bills already had a backfield of Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson. If the argument is, CJ Spiller was the BPA then we should have traded back in the draft.

3. Trading away Marshawn Lynch and Lee Evans. On a team as depleted of talent as the Buffalo Bills, it should have been clear that we must continue to add talent and keep the talent we already have.

4. Free Agent acquisitions: Shawne Merriman, and the lack of free agency moves. We put all our eggs in a oft injured OLB and refused to sign coveted free agents in both off-seasons. The signing of Barnett, and Florence are bright spots.

5. Signing Fitzpatrick to a 6 year extension during the season.

Grade him and state your case if you'd like. Just wondering where everyone is at.

Well if he would have drafted Jimmy Clausen like you wanted, it would definitely be an A+. But the way, you have stopped posting Spiller is a bust threads. What happened? :nana:

And his grade is incomplete. It's a cop out but it's true. I know every fan has to react to everything every second but drafts take time to play out. Spiller, given the playing time, is looking like a legit rb. Dareus has shown flashes of brilliance. Hairston, Sheppard, Williams have chances to be solid starters. This draft, IMO, will be key. This team needs to get deeper and upgrade at some positions. I think our needs are pretty clear (pass rush, big play receiver, more depth on the lines).

I gave him a B, as in Benefit of the Doubt since he had to do more than just replace a few players when he got here.

He has rebuilt the front office (ousted Modrak and Guy, and brought in Whaley and other scouts).

Gailey was a good hire, given the coaches who were willing to come to Buffalo. Obviously, D-Coordinator needs to be re-evaluated, but he went and got Wanny in the offseason to try to help. Further improvements to the staff will be coming.

Once he had a handle on our Front Office, Scouts and Coaching Staff... he had to flip almost an entire 53-man roster which was devoid of talent.

His first draft/UDFA class isnt looking too hot, but Spiller has shown he can play when they actually give him the ball, and Nelson was a good find. Chandler was a good pickup from 2010 as well. He did what he could in Free Agnecy, given no one wants to come to Buffalo.

His 2011 draft is looking much better, with starters/players coming out of the first 5 picks, and Justin Rogers looking good in limited time. Much better in Free Agency as well by picking up Barnett, and the unfortunate Clabo situation which I was glad to at least see we were serious about. However, that might have ended up going in our favor as Clabo has had a disappointing year.

The FO is obviously serious about keeping our own talent with extensions for Williams, Fitz and Pears, and working on deals for Johnson and Jackson.

It's a long process, especially when building through the draft. They are in month 24 of a complete franchise rebuild. It took Butler/Smith/Nix 4 years to rebuild San Diego, they even had the #1 overall in their FOURTH YEAR, but since then no can argue that San Diego shouldnt be a perennial playoff contender.

Miami didnt "rebuild in 1 year", they had 1 lucky year and have sucked ever since. Atlanta didnt rebuild in 1 year either, they had a good base already drafted and then had Matt Ryan fall into their lap.

So far, while the results could be better, I think he has us on the right track.

edit:

The Evans trade, like it or not, was a good trade. He was falling off fast, and has done nothing this year. We got Hairston and Searcy in the 4th last year and could use another young player of their caliber.

I like the Merriman signing, even though he has been injured, for the other stuff Shawne brought to the team. The Defense played with a much higher intensity when he was around, and he helped bring in other FAs like Barnett and Morrison. We need more guys of that ilk to show the youngsters how hard you have to play.

Edited by DrDareustein