Mike Nolan

Looks Mike Nolan will be out with rest of the Dolphin's staff and doesn't want to be a HC any time soon so hopefully Chan goes down the Miami Trail one more time and brings him here and then allow him to pick his staff. Nolan is well versed in the 34 and has DCed for the Jets and Ravens among others. The following article says it all:

"The Dolphins' defense jumped from 22nd to sixth in total defense in 2010, Nolan's first season here, and this year is third against the run and fifth in points allowed (18.9 per game)."

"His 2003-04 Ravens defense finished in the top six in points and yards allowed both times. Before coming to Miami, he spent one year with the Broncos, helping that unit improve from 29th to seventh in total defense."

"He's a mastermind, in my opinion," outside linebacker Cameron Wake said. "The way we've played the last few weeks is obviously a testament to the way he's coaching."

"Nolan certainly has the players in his corner. Defensive end Tony McDaniel said he loves Nolan's boundless energy. Defensive end Jared Odrick said he appreciates that Nolan is always asking players for input during games and at practices. Linebacker Jason Taylor said he likes Nolan's "even-keeled" demeanor. "

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/dolphins/mike-nolan-happy-as-miami-dolphins-defensive-coordinator-2034868.html

I'd love to see Nolan as our D-Coordinator. I would be very surprised if Edwards is back, although stranger things have happened. Although we are not the most talented team around, our defense has under-performed all year. That can onlt be attributed to coaching. Coaching involves putting the right player in a position where they can win their battle. In many cases we don't have the right player in the right position so winning the battle is not an option.

Yes please Nolan might not be a good head coach (although one stint isn't enough to judge... Belicheat anyone?) he has proven over and over to be a great d coordinator! Sadly I think we're stuck with the stache if Edwards is dismissed which I'm not a fan of. He's has done little to nothing to improve this d and I've never been a fan of his whether it was dolphins or Pitt his teams always seemed to underachieve.

I'd love to see Nolan as our D-Coordinator. I would be very surprised if Edwards is back, although stranger things have happened. Although we are not the most talented team around, our defense has under-performed all year. That can onlt be attributed to coaching. Coaching involves putting the right player in a position where they can win their battle. In many cases we don't have the right player in the right position so winning the battle is not an option.

The first part of the equation is getting the right player. That is not the DC's job. Let's get the right players first.

Yes please Nolan might not be a good head coach (although one stint isn't enough to judge... Belicheat anyone?) he has proven over and over to be a great d coordinator! Sadly I think we're stuck with the stache if Edwards is dismissed which I'm not a fan of. He's has done little to nothing to improve this d and I've never been a fan of his whether it was dolphins or Pitt his teams always seemed to underachieve.

Were you a fan of his when his Cowboys D was killing our K-gun offense? Or when his Chicago and Pitt teams always had great D's. In the case of Pitt, often with less talent than those they played against.

The first part of the equation is getting the right player. That is not the DC's job. Let's get the right players first.

I agree more talent on the D is needed, but we have some good players. Oh look, turns out Maybin wasn't that bad after all. POOR COACHING. Look around the NFL and you'll see great defensive players that used to be Bills. We are a DE and OLB away from having a very good D player wise.

I agree more talent on the D is needed, but we have some good players. Oh look, turns out Maybin wasn't that bad after all. POOR COACHING. Look around the NFL and you'll see great defensive players that used to be Bills. We are a DE and OLB away from having a very good D player wise.

I'll agree that we need another DE, but we need more than one OLB and at least one more decent CB.

As far as Maybin goes, I wonder how motivated he was (or wasn't) in Buffalo. He's in his third(?) year and he's still not playing every down. That's not what I expect from a first-round pick. Also, he wasn't selected by this current regime.

I'm sure there was one...maybe even two guys on the Texans message board that said the same thing last year... B-)

Alright, try this on for size. Houston's best defender is on IR (Mario Williams). Buffalo's best defender is on IR (Kyle Williams). Take those two out of the equation, and which team has more talent on defense? I would say Houston. So, of course, Wade Phillips is going to look better. I think thay Edwards needs more talent, as would any other DC.

If he is doing such a great job, its possible that a new coaching staff may want to keep him around. It would make for a quicker turnaround if he is kept and the defence doesn't need to go through a change again.

But who am I kidding, this is the Dolphins, the same team that was publically trying to persue Harbaugh last offseason with the HC still employed..........

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get Nolan in here and all the Bills troubles melt away.

Except for the fans, who will need a new guy to have a hard-on for....Im gonna start a movement to get that midget off the sidelines.

He sucks and should be fired, whatever his name is!!!!!!!!

Edited by RkFast

I'll agree that we need another DE, but we need more than one OLB and at least one more decent CB.

As far as Maybin goes, I wonder how motivated he was (or wasn't) in Buffalo. He's in his third(?) year and he's still not playing every down. That's not what I expect from a first-round pick. Also, he wasn't selected by this current regime.

Alright, try this on for size. Houston's best defender is on IR (Mario Williams). Buffalo's best defender is on IR (Kyle Williams). Take those two out of the equation, and which team has more talent on defense? I would say Houston. So, of course, Wade Phillips is going to look better. I think thay Edwards needs more talent, as would any other DC.

Now try this on for size: Last year, the Texans' D was terrible (30th in yards allowed, 29th in points allowed). This year's, it's elite (1st in yards, 4th in points). Near as I can tell, they added 3 starters in the offseason: Jonathan Joseph (a very good and pretty high-priced free agent CB), JJ Watt (a rookie 1st-round pick DE), and Danieal Manning (a excellent KR, but mediocre FS). They also lost starting DT Amboi Okoye, and got only 5 games out of their best player (Mario Williams) this year, compared to 13 last year. They also switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4, which according to any Bills' front office employee, is a major obstacle for a defense to overcome.

So how did they go from being a bottom 3 defense to a top 3 defense? Yes, they did add some talent, but does that really explain anywhere near that big of a jump? There's probably some luck/variance involved too. Absolutely. But that still doesn't get us anywhere near the top 5, does it? Put another way: If you looked at the Texans' 2010 defense, would you have said it was loaded with talent? I'm guessing no, but feel free to correct me on this. Are Jonathan Joseph and JJ Watt really so good that they transformed that unit from the dregs to the heights? I say no. Coaching matters, and furthermore, not every player is a good fit for every coach's scheme. I submit that the better strategy is to get the right coaches/schemes in place, then find good players to fit those schemes, rather than trying to assemble a loaded defense, and only firing the coach once it's clear that he can't win even with elite talent.