Before Sliced bread

Actually, I believe that the truly great achievement was not simply slicing the bread, but the innovation to create "twice-cooked bread" or what is now commonly referred to as "toast."

Well, toast was the killer app for bread-slicing technology. :thumbsup:

I think that we probably peaked as a society when we failed to raise the bar after sliced bread was achieved.

Uh thats a backward step. In the old days the man who wears the star held the pump. All you had to do was accept your free glassware.

Those are sometimes still around. Back in the early 90's I had a car that suggested premium (91) fuel. One gas station on the way home offered a free glass with premium fill of at least 8 gallons. I was getting two or three glasses a week. But I had to pump it myself.

I'd have to go with the bread knife. Without it's invention we would not be talking about sliced bread.

Was the bread knife intentionally invented or did someone just accidently discover a knife with a serrated blade was more effective in slicing bread? This would be very important information to know before any could agree that your premise, while brilliant, is correct.

Was the bread knife intentionally invented or did someone just accidently discover a knife with a serrated blade was more effective in slicing bread? This would be very important information to know before any could agree that your premise, while brilliant, is correct.

Well it was an evolution of the traditional knife to maximize bread slicing efficiency, and prevent the bread from being flattened.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_knife#Bread_knife

I wonder what happened to the rubber hose that goes "bing-bing" when you drive over it?

Oddly enough, that's one of the very few things in life that annoy the hell out of me. I have no idea why.

I haven't seen one since I was a teenager. Only thing bad about full service is I was always broke and had to use the line"see if she'll take 75 cents worth. Need to top it off" to save face.

This is starting to bring back some memories now....I remember when I was a kid, sitting in the car in a LONG line during the gas shortage in the 70s...hard to believe that was almost 40 years ago!!

I haven't seen one since I was a teenager. Only thing bad about full service is I was always broke and had to use the line"see if she'll take 75 cents worth. Need to top it off" to save face.

There is one full service gas station about 2 miles from the house. Always old ladies pulling in to have the guy pump their gas. About $0.75 per gallon higher than other places.