Fitz Has Possibly Had A Broken Rib Since Toronto?

Correct me if I'm wrong but during the course of an NFL season if a player misses a single practice. league rules require disclosing the injury, yep you can kitty foot around with that rule (see Tom Brady). But if Fletcher's "hit" caused Fitz to get injured. It could not have been too severe, as Fitzmagic kept on playing. But hey yea lets blame that as the reason his game tanked after the skins game.

The Fletcher hit caused Ryan Fitzpatrick to miss practice and this was duly reported. See Injury report on Buffalo Bills.com. The teams are not required to disclose the specifics of the injury, and the Bills listed it as "chest", which could be anything from bruised or broken ribs to a flail chest. Linky

I'm not saying Fitzy was injured, I'm not saying Fitzy was not injured, I'm saying that football players in general play with injuries that would have the rest of us going "Uncle" and heading for the couch and make as little of it as possible, partly for reasons of self-protection.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't disagree with your assertions. I am not quite as optimistic as you, but in general I think you are more right than wrong. I don't think Fitz has the accuracy, strength or quick release that some of the best QBs have. I am not saying he is bad in those respects, just not as good as some others.

He was running around to keep the play alive for the last few games of the season, which I think is a good idea since the O-line isn't reliable enough to give him all the time he needs for anything other than a quick slant, etc. Unfortunately, his accuracy goes from marginal to poor when he has to throw on the run. But with more playing time as a group, Fitz and the team will all get better and good things will happen sooner rather than later.

It is more wrong than right to think that in general a successful football team does not need a QB with first round qualities.

Losing 7 games straight with a passer rating of 65% (after the skins game) does not seem very helpful (17 ints to 10 TDs).

Fitz might be okay next year, but the Bills would be smart to bring in someone in with at least the same (hopefully better) skills to provide competition, continuity (if an injury occurs) or just plain help if Fitz becomes inept again.

Also:

If Fitz was not affected by that hit, then he has shown himself to be a half-season QB with not much upside. It is not like he is that football smart or has a rocket arm – or is all that accurate - throwing 16 ints in the last 9 games.

How important is having a competent backup QB? Just ask GM Bill Polian (recently fired by the Colts) who said in an interview after his exit that his biggest mistake was not having someone to replace Payton Manning.

Edited by LGB

The Fletcher hit caused Ryan Fitzpatrick to miss practice and this was duly reported. See Injury report on Buffalo Bills.com. The teams are not required to disclose the specifics of the injury, and the Bills listed it as "chest", which could be anything from bruised or broken ribs to a flail chest. Linky

I'm not saying Fitzy was injured, I'm not saying Fitzy was not injured, I'm saying that football players in general play with injuries that would have the rest of us going "Uncle" and heading for the couch and make as little of it as possible, partly for reasons of self-protection.

Besides the bolded, players downplay injuries because of the macho culture of the sport.

For Fitz to make anything of the injury would be unmanly and excuse making.

He did not go there so we'll likely never know how injured he may have been.

It is more wrong than right to think that in general a successful football team does not a QB with first round qualities.

Losing 7 games straight with a passer rating of 65% (after the skins game) does not seem very helpful (17 ints to 10 TDs).

Fitz might be okay next year, but the Bills would be smart to bring in someone in with at least the same (hopefully better) skills to provide competition, continuity (if an injury occurs) or just plain help if Fitz becomes inept again.

I have been posting for a while that I like Fitz, but I think the team should start looking for his successor sooner rather than later. I would like to see a rookie and/or a young FA brought in as a competent back-up, or as a replacement if Fitz has a string of bad games. I believe that Thigpen never went in because Gailey knows that he isn't even as good as Fitz with sore ribs. I would like to see Thigpen released, Brad Smith reclassified as a WR, and then there would be room for 2 QBs to be groomed or put in as needed.

I have not given up on Fitz as a good QB for the next few years, but if this year was the "real Fitz" then a successor should be a priority. If Fitz was truly hurt and he plays better next year, then maybe he can continue to develop into a top ten QB. Nix and Gailey know whether Fitz was playing hurt or not, and that may influence their aggressiveness at bringing in other QBs as competent backups or to compete for the starting job.

Maybe he LIED about an injury in his interview with his new CFL employers. As an excuse for sucking as a qb coach.

Maybe the CFL team "leaked" it to the press, in case fans are wondering why they hired a sucky qb coach.

Maybe he knows that the Bills will never confirm or deny, so he's safe.

Exactly. The QB who was my responsibility at my last job went in the tank, but just between us girls let me tell you why...

I have been posting for a while that I like Fitz, but I think the team should start looking for his successor sooner rather than later. I would like to see a rookie and/or a young FA brought in as a competent back-up, or as a replacement if Fitz has a string of bad games. I believe that Thigpen never went in because Gailey knows that he isn't even as good as Fitz with sore ribs. I would like to see Thigpen released, Brad Smith reclassified as a WR, and then there would be room for 2 QBs to be groomed or put in as needed.

I have not given up on Fitz as a good QB for the next few years, but if this year was the "real Fitz" then a successor should be a priority. If Fitz was truly hurt and he plays better next year, then maybe he can continue to develop into a top ten QB. Nix and Gailey know whether Fitz was playing hurt or not, and that may influence their aggressiveness at bringing in other QBs as competent backups or to compete for the starting job.

You sum up well what Nix should do with the Quarterback situation. What's disturbing is your assessment of Thigpen. If Gailey is that inept to have a #2 that cannot he even give us a chance to win as a backup. Then were in trouble.I just can't believe we are that inept. But it is possible. Having no plan B for the Merriman injury was pretty lame. But Thigpen isn't being paid chump change either. Brad Smith is a waste of a roster spot judging by year 1 in his deal. He should not be listed as a #3. It's poor roster management. I think they will correct it this off season. Thigpen needs serious competition for the #2 quarterback spot next year.

Its hard for me to imagine that the pain from the Fletcher hit didn't linger for a while -- like 5 or 6 weeks. Its one of the worst injuries a thrower can have. Ribs might not have been broken -- but sometimes a deep bruise is worse...

Your exactly right.

I bruised my ribs landing on a football that my running back fumbled. Some 300 pounder jumped on the pile and the point of the ball went straight into my ribs. I thought I was going to die for reals.

Second worse pain in my natural life outside of an impacted tooth which hard to believe was much worse.

With bruised ribs when you breath it HURTS.

If Fitz did have even bruised ribs it would effect his game no doubt. Even if he did shoot it with pain killers its still a 4 week thang.

Edited by Bufcomments

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/1/24/2729761/ryan-fitzpatrick-rib-injury-redskins

Today, an article from NFL.com stated Fitz's performance dropped off after his contract extension. IMO they're off base with that. Buffalo Rumblings put together some interesting figures with Fitz's stats before the London Fletcher hit, and after the hit:

"Here are the facts of the matter: before that hit, Fitzpatrick was completing 67 percent of his passes at 7.6 yards per attempt with a 13-to-7 touchdown-to-interception ratio. After the hit, he completed 59 percent of his passes at 6.2 yards per attempt with an 11-to-16 touchdown-to-interception ratio. Before the hit, the Bills had scored 198 points in 6.5 games of football; they scored 174 in the final 9.5.

You tell me, Bills fans: is there something to this?"

Edited by Jerry Jabber

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/1/24/2729761/ryan-fitzpatrick-rib-injury-redskins

Today, an article from NFL.com stated Fitz's performance dropped off after his contract extension. IMO they're off base with that. Buffalo Rumblings put together some interesting figures with Fitz's stats before the London Fletcher hit, and after the hit:

"Here are the facts of the matter: before that hit, Fitzpatrick was completing 67 percent of his passes at 7.6 yards per attempt with a 13-to-7 touchdown-to-interception ratio. After the hit, he completed 59 percent of his passes at 6.2 yards per attempt with an 11-to-16 touchdown-to-interception ratio. Before the hit, the Bills had scored 198 points in 6.5 games of football; they scored 174 in the final 9.5.

Yes, but the answer isn't in the stats.

This sounds like the Trent Edwards defense. I think the drop off had to do with a poorly talented team around him that got even worse due to injuries that mainly hit hard and deep at key positions like...oh...say...WR...a revolving door of crap at LT ...OH....and...losing his potential probowl candidate center Eric Wood may have also had a slight impact.

Let's not even mention one of the leagues worst defenses losing it's best player KW so they played in panic catch up mode after midway through the 2nd quarter.

Edited by PDaDdy

No there is nothing to this other than his level of play came back to earth based on his talent level. There is no evidence of any kind, including Fitz saying emphatically that he did not play hurt, that suggests his play slipped due to injury. Especially since his play mirrored his whole career...so unless you think he has been hurt his whole career, then the answer is no to your question.

No there is nothing to this other than his level of play came back to earth based on his talent level. There is no evidence of any kind, including Fitz saying emphatically that he did not play hurt, that suggests his play slipped due to injury. Especially since his play mirrored his whole career...so unless you think he has been hurt his whole career, then the answer is no to your question.

Dude. How can you ignore the lack of talent at WR? How can you ignore that that poorly talented WR core became decimated due to injuries and that he basically had a different WR core every week after the 1st 3rd of the season? How do you develop timing and chemistry with a cast of targets that changed every week and you had a wild cat QB and a 2nd year RB starting as wideouts at times? A revolving door at LT and losing our best offensive lineman Erik Wood to IR again?

You're not dumb I assume. How do you ignore those facts? No, really! How do you ignore them? I would be curious to know how you excuse that away so you can keep bashing Fitz. How do you explain away his lead leading performance through week 6 or so? Stop the BS man. Please.

You might be correct. Then again, when you lose your security blanket receiver (Parrish)and then your already young and inexperienced receiving corps falls apart through injuries, you lose your "QB" center, your left tackle, your running back...and then the kicker you know can get you a "gimme" 3 points when all else fails, maybe you start firing the ball quicker than you should, or you force plays or you just in general don't have the same confidence in the players you're left with as you had earlier in the year.

You might be correct. Then again, when you lose your security blanket receiver (Parrish)and then your already young and inexperienced receiving corps falls apart through injuries, you lose your "QB" center, your left tackle, your running back...and then the kicker you know can get you a "gimme" 3 points when all else fails, maybe you start firing the ball quicker than you should, or you force plays or you just in general don't have the same confidence in the players you're left with as you had earlier in the year.

A-dog will never answer this question. It's been posed to him so many times and he has no response because he knows it completely invalidates his criticism.

Statistical correlation is not the same as causation. In my view, the defenses caught up to the Bills attack, and the injuries (to Wood, FJ, Bell, etc.) took a big toll.

The recent Kyle Willians story (teams exploiting other teams' injury information) explains why, if Fitz WAS injured, we'll NEVER know about it.

This sounds like the Trent Edwards defense. I think the drop off had to do with a poorly talented team around him that got even worse due to injuries that mainly hit hard and deep at key positions like...oh...say...WR...a revolving door of crap at LT ...OH....and...losing his potential probowl candidate center Eric Wood may have also had a slight impact.

Let's not even mention one of the leagues worst defenses losing it's best player KW so they played in panic catch up mode after midway through the 2nd quarter.

According to this article, Fitz's play went down after his contract extension:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82650f2f/article/bills-qb-fitzpatrick-suggests-team-wasnt-ready-to-be-successful

"Like his team, Fitzpatrick started the season on fire. He passed for 1,739 yards and 14 touchdowns while giving up just seven interceptions and compiling a passer rating of 97.8 during those first seven games. Then, as the team was peaking during October, Fitzpatrick signed a six-year, $60 million contract extension.

The Bills and Fitzpatrick both took a nosedive shortly after the deal was reached. During the ensuing seven-game losing streak, Fitzpatrick compiled a passer rating of 66.2 and was picked off 12 times while throwing for just eight scores."

I'm not saying it's the same thing as the hit Edwards took from Adrian Wilson, but I don't think Fitz's new contract had anything to do with his play going down either. I think it could be a combo of things: the hit to Fitz (which we'll never know), plus with all the injuries to the WR corps, Wood & FJ, and a crappy defense.