Favorite Quotes?

My absolute favorite is in my signature. I doubt Tyson really meant it that way, but to me it's a perfect metaphor for the grind of human experience.

Another favorite is from Carl Sagan...

"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

At first it's just a good chuckle, but upon further thought I think it's a really nice meditation on man's failure to consider the world outside his own frame of reference.

What are some of your favorites?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Among the Americans serving on Iwo island, uncommon valor was a common virtue." (Adm. Chester A. Nimitz)

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.

-Ambrose Bierce, writer (1842-1914)

Dec. 22, 1944 Bastogne, Belgium

To the German Commander: "NUTS!"

General Anthony McAuliffe 101st. Abn.

My absolute favorite is in my signature. I doubt Tyson really meant it that way, but to me it's a perfect metaphor for the grind of human experience.

Another favorite is from Carl Sagan...

"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

At first it's just a good chuckle, but upon further thought I think it's a really nice meditation on man's failure to consider the world outside his own frame of reference.

What are some of your favorites?

See my signature

I have two:

1) I like this one as it brings me back to earth when my job sucks: "A sure sign of an impending nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important" - Bertrand Russell

2) I like this one for the sheer arrogance (it's pretty funny too): " I drink to make other people interesting" - George Jean Nathan

Cheers! :beer:

:D :D :D

Edited by Tony P

Sgt. John M Stryker (i.e. John Wayne): "Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Richard Feynman: "The theoretical broadening which comes from having many humanities subjects on the campus is offset by the general dopiness of the people who study these things."

"Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you a big ole boat and you can sail right up next to it." David Lee Roth

While I was looking for the source of that quote (I've heard of a couple different people) I found this gem.

"I have all the money I'll need. As long as I die by four o'clock" Henny Youngman.

"Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you a big ole boat and you can sail right up next to it." David Lee Roth

While I was looking for the source of that quote (I've heard of a couple different people) I found this gem.

"I have all the money I'll need. As long as I die by four o'clock" Henny Youngman.

That's great. I love a good one liner.

"On the other hand, you have different fingers." - Stephen Wright

"The rich are the most discriminated people in the world. Everybody assumes you are an !@#$ if you are rich. I have met a lot of rich !@#$s in my life, and I have met just as many poor !@#$s..only difference is rich !@#$s can buy their own drinks."

Tom Robbins Jitterbug Perfume

He is only mostly dead...

Have fun storming the castle!!

Princess bride

I have a few I really like:

Do you know why you never read about suicides in the newspaper? Because it's not news.

- Joey Comeau

I eat vegetables in case I'd feel worse otherwise. And, so I can't blame anything on vitamin deficiencies. So I can be like: this is me, this is exactly how ****ty I feel.

- John Campbell

If you gave Falwell an enema he could be buried in a matchbox.

- Christopher Hitchens

(I really didn't like Falwell)

and...

Please nigga, I'm immune to all viruses; I get that cocaine, it cleans out my sinuses.

- His Holiness Pope John Paul II

The one I should live my life by: "Live like you'll die tomorrow. Learn like you'll live forever"

-Ghandi-

And of course the one I do live my life by:

"It only takes me one beer to get drunk. Not sure if its the forteenth or fifteenth"

(don't know the author)

The OP's signature and the Lincoln quote are really good as well.

Edited by Steve O

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.--Roddy Piper in They Live

Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking!--FERDINAND FOCH

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf--GEORGE ORWELL

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing--Edmund Burke

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum--Flavius Vegetius Renatus