Just two more wins

Trader

The BillS beat the Dolphins and then beat the Pats or Jets on the road. If one victory is a win at jets will be even bigger.

That would mean they at least split the Division. I really don't care about the playoffs this year, they would be one and done anyway.

I really think that would be very good progress over last year.

We already have a better record than last year, so relative to that, it's been a good year. But relative to our start... this team is disappointing now.

It's all relative.

Exactly. I never expected them to go 5-2 in the first place so like I said at the start of the season, if they go 8-8 I consider this rebuilding season a success.

I'm not at all convinced they will get there however.

Exactly. I never expected them to go 5-2 in the first place so like I said at the start of the season, if they go 8-8 I consider this rebuilding season a success.

I'm not at all convinced they will get there however.

I'd be fine with 8-8 too, but it doesn't appear that they've improved after Week 5. Cincinnati, then the Giants, and now two more teams have the book on Buffalo, so they basically peaked early in the season. Without a major infusion of talent during the off-season, 8-8 is about what they'll remain. And so far, Buddy Nix' record in the draft and UFA hasn't been stellar enough to vault them to being a double digit win team. Besides, when the owner chooses to be ~25M under the cap, it's hard to put together a roster good enough to win consistently when injuries occur. That, and contracts typically last no more than 4-5 seasons, so it's just as essential to find talent as it is to replace it.

Sorry, if they finish 7-9 after a 5-2 start, I will consider the season to be a colossal failure.....

Absolutely. After 11 years of no playoffs, no losing season can be considered a success. "Yay, we went 7-9!" That's pathetic. Jauron was (rightly) run out of town for going 7-9 year after year, now we're supposed to celebrate it? Give me a break. That's like hoping you "win the lottery" by hitting 2 numbers and getting a $2 payout. Root for success, not mediocrity!

The BillS beat the Dolphins and then beat the Pats or Jets on the road. If one victory is a win at jets will be even bigger.

That would mean they at least split the Division. I really don't care about the playoffs this year, they would be one and done anyway.

I really think that would be very good progress over last year.

It would be zero progress over 2007.

So after starting 5-2, finishing 2-7 would be progress? If we beat Miami and the Jets, are you really going to look fondly on that Jets win after the Bills lose the final 5 games (in your scenario)? That's really not progress.

Don't see us beating the Jets. We have to sweep the Fins. Pats game will be brutal but it's winable. I think we'll own the AFC West.

If we do make the playoffs, I also don't expect us to win a game. But to me, it's playoffs or bust. Been way too long. In 10 years of watching this team, there's only been two seasons in which we've had a chance. Fewer good players will want to come here next season if we don't make a wildcard IMO.

It would be zero progress over 2007.

So after starting 5-2, finishing 2-7 would be progress? If we beat Miami and the Jets, are you really going to look fondly on that Jets win after the Bills lose the final 5 games (in your scenario)? That's really not progress.

We had McGee, Greer, and Leonhard on this team for God's sake. Letting two of them go seems like utter stupidity now for what we got in McKelvin and Florence! We're much better than our talent on defense comparatively speaking. We have a base we can build from...

8-8 or 9-7 is what I expect the improvement to be for this year. If we beat the fish twice and the Broncos, we make 8-8 regardless. Win against either the jests, pats or titans and we have a winning record. We might not make the playoffs but we have moved from the cellar dweller group to the middle of the road group and are knocking on the door of the playoff teams. It is progress and as we improve, the jests and pasties are going to age and we will pass them in our division.

Absolutely. After 11 years of no playoffs, no losing season can be considered a success. "Yay, we went 7-9!" That's pathetic. Jauron was (rightly) run out of town for going 7-9 year after year, now we're supposed to celebrate it? Give me a break. That's like hoping you "win the lottery" by hitting 2 numbers and getting a $2 payout. Root for success, not mediocrity!

"Rooting" for mediocrity does not make sense, I agree.

But either does expecting that more than 10 years of bad drafts and acquisitions is going to be turned around by 1 good draft.

Edited by CodeMonkey

For me, the super bowl was the win over the Pats. It doesn't get any better than that game. Everything else has been gravy including the season opener in KC which I was at.

I know that's sad and comes with low expectations but I've come to grips with the fact that this team will always be run a certain way (at least under current ownership)… spend frugally and turn a profit.. winning is secondary.

I'd be content with 8 wins and happy with 9, given our four winnable games coming up. I'm getting more concerned by the day, however, about our failure to re-sign our top impending free agents. If Buffalo lets Johnson or Bell walk, I'll be furious. We need to keep our top players, draft well, and sign one or two quality free agents with all the holes and cap room we have to be a legitimate playoff contender, let alone the deep rounds of the playoffs.

Let's not settle for calling a season a success simply because they exceeded/will exceed some people's low expectations. Success, for this franchise, is making the playoffs.

I saw this as a four- to five-win team, so they've already exceeded my expectations. Doesn't make it a successful season.

Edited by GOBILLS78

"Rooting" for mediocrity does not make sense, I agree.

But either does expecting that more than 10 years of bad drafts and acquisitions is going to be turned around by 1 good draft.

Two drafts and FA periods should be enough to make changes from 6-10 to a better record. If Chan/Nix can't do that, then maybe we need to look elsewhere. Even if it's just 8-8 or 9-7, it should be better than possible to improve on Jauron's tenure.

I too subscribe to the playoffs or bust mantra. Especially after how long we've been out. As a fan I'd be much happier if I felt the team was willing to do something to get us back there THIS YEAR, like sign Hoosh before the Riaders did or TO now that we are so week at WR instead of being hell bent on "rebuilding through the draft".

However, we were dreadful last year. So coming into the season I predicted 10-6 (playoffs) and still want that bad. I also said, based on last year, that I'd be happy with 8-8 and I still would despite the 5-2 start. I'd consider the season a success if we get that. Wins are wins whether they come in the first 3 weeks or the last 3.

I want no part of 7-9.

We MUST figure out how to get above the Jauron Line. Until we do, I'll consider Dick a better coach than Coach Gailey.

Go BILLS !!!

Edited by reddogblitz

Let's not settle for calling a season a success simply because they exceeded/will exceed some people's low expectations. Success, for this franchise, is making the playoffs.

I saw this as a four- to five-win team, so they've already exceeded my expectations. Doesn't make it a successful season.

31 teams end their season in failure.

PTR