Paul Posluszny

dave mcbride

By all accounts, Posluszny is having a spectacular year for the Jags, whose defense is ranked fourth overall in yards allowed and 6th overall in points allowed. Last year, they were 28th in yards given up and 27th in points allowed. Obviously, that's a huge improvement. Through 9 games, Poz has 72 tackles, 6 passes defensed, 1 INT, and 3 stuffs. I'm certainly not regretting spending money on Nick Barnett, but given how much cap room the Bills had, I'm starting to think that they should have ponied up to keep Posluszny as well. Despite what the naysayers think, he's a good starting NFL LB, and lord knows, it's not as if they didn't have the money to keep him. After Barnett (71 tackles, 1 sack, 3 passes defensed, and 4 stuffs), productivity among Bills LBs is truly pathetic, and the safeties are racking up most of the tackles. Sometimes you've gotta spend money to improve ...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The deciding factor for Paul Pozluzney wasnt' money but the scheme. He wanted to play in a 4-3 front. The Bills have this mess of a hybrid.

Good point. Of course, given our personnel, there's no way we should be playing a 3-4. That's just stupid, and a classic example of a bad defensive coach forcing a preferred scheme on a team that doesn't have the right personnel. But that's a whole 'nother issue.

Edited by dave mcbride

By all accounts, Posluszny is having a spectacular year for the Jags, whose defense is ranked fourth overall in yards allowed and 6th overall in points allowed. Last year, they were 28th in yards given up and 27th in points allowed. Obviously, that's a huge improvement. Through 9 games, Poz has 72 tackles, 6 passes defensed, 1 INT, and 3 stuffs. I'm certainly not regretting spending money on Nick Barnett, but given how much cap room the Bills had, I'm starting to think that they should have ponied up to keep Posluszny as well. Despite what the naysayers think, he's a good starting NFL LB, and lord knows, it's not as if they didn't have the money to keep him. After Barnett (71 tackles, 1 sack, 3 passes defensed, and 4 stuffs), productivity among Bills LBs is truly pathetic, and the safeties are racking up most of the tackles. Sometimes you've gotta spend money to improve ...

Agreed Dave. They can however make things right by going after Donta Hightower from Alabama. He will be, and probably is already a better ILB that either of them. Courtney Upshaw, Hightower and Nico Johnson are as good as any set of LBs in college that I have ever seen in my life.

If we get at least 1 of them (I'll take 2 thanks very much), our defense will be bigger, stronger and faster the minute they hit the field.

Edited by Bill from NYC

The deciding factor for Paul Pozluzney wasnt' money but the scheme. He wanted to play in a 4-3 front. The Bills have this mess of a hybrid.

I know Poz said he wanted to play in a 4-3, and I don't question that it was a factor in his decision...But after what we saw last year, and now this year on Defense I wonder if the truth is Poz knew Edwards was in WAY over his head regardless of what Defense he wanted to run...So once Poz saw the big offer and knew he was going to a Defensive minded HC...it was an easy decision...

Just saying... B-)

Agreed Dave. They can however make things right by going after Donta Hightower from Alabama. He will be, and probably is already a better ILB that either of them. Courtney Upshaw, Hightower and Nico Johnson are as good as any set of LBs in college that I have ever seen in my life.

If we get at least 1 of them (I'll take 2 thanks very much), our defense will be bigger, stronger and faster the minute they hit the field.

Good point, Bill. But will they be available? I'm guessing that the Bills, with a 9-7 record, will be drafting around the 18 or 19 slot. Of course, great LB prospects can be had at that slot. But when will they get either the pass rusher or the blue chip CB that they desperately need?

This is a separate issue, but I think the most disappointing first round pick (among the very many) in the last decade has been McKelvin. I say that because he looked good right off the bat, and he's clearly a physical specimen. He really has it all physically, yet he sucks. He's Terrell Buckley all over again. You can't cut him either because the talent is there and you can't risk seeing him finally get it elsewhere. With someone like Maybin or Spiller, you can write it off as a bad investment and move on. With his evident talent and the extremely high premium placed on CBs (and rightly so), it's much harder to stomach.

I find it funny that 3 guys that we thought sucked have gone on to play with other teams with good defenses and are productive. You mention Poz who is starting on the #4 defense in the NFL. Whitner is starting (I think) for the 7-1 49ers and Maybin is making sacks and forcing fumbles for the Jets D.

Maybe it's our defensive coaches that can't put these guys into positions to maximize their strengths?

Good point, Bill. But will they be available? I'm guessing that the Bills, with a 9-7 record, will be drafting around the 18 or 19 slot. Of course, great LB prospects can be had at that slot. But when will they get either the pass rusher or the blue chip CB that they desperately need?

This is a separate issue, but I think the most disappointing first round pick (among the very many) in the last decade has been McKelvin. I say that because he looked good right off the bat, and he's clearly a physical specimen. He really has it all physically, yet he sucks. He's Terrell Buckley all over again. You can't cut him either because the talent is there and you can't risk seeing him finally get it elsewhere. With someone like Maybin or Spiller, you can write it off as a bad investment and move on. With his evident talent and the extremely high premium placed on CBs (and rightly so), it's much harder to stomach.

I am going to suggest that perhaps the problem with McKelvin, Maybin, and even Troup, Carrington, Moats and Batten is not so much that they "suck" or bad drafting, but rather, horrid player development due to an inept defensive coaching staff. Player development is an oft-overlooked factor in a franchise's success/failure. In the Bills' case, they seem to be extremely ineffective at developing young defensive players into quality starters; yet those same players often go elsewhere and reach their potential.

McKelvin appears to be a good example of this. He clearly has talent and ambition, but his play has not improved (it's regressed, actually). His problems appear to have more to do with technique and confidence - he doesn't get his hips turned when the ball is in the air, seems to time his jumps poorly, contacts the WR at inopportune times, and is afraid to fight for the ball. Just a hunch I have that a quality DB coach could work with him on these types of things, which seem correctable to me. I suspect McKelvin will be let go (so we can draft another CB in the first round), and will find success elsewhere. It seems to happen a lot. By contrast, you look at a team like the Steelers, and they're able to develop their young players at an astoundingly successful rate. Guys like Woodley, Timmons and Hood looked unpolished when they came into the league, and have blossomed into quality players. Those same players probably would've flamed out had the Bills drafted them.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Like I have said from the beginning, "Bills Loss". Not the smartest front office we have here by any means. Poz wanted to stay in Buffalo, just like Pat Williams and a few others have.

I find it funny that 3 guys that we thought sucked have gone on to play with other teams with good defenses and are productive. You mention Poz who is starting on the #4 defense in the NFL. Whitner is starting (I think) for the 7-1 49ers and Maybin is making sacks and forcing fumbles for the Jets D.

Maybe it's our defensive coaches that can't put these guys into positions to maximize their strengths?

Everyone thought Maybin sucked, but if you thought Poz sucked, then you weren't watching many Bills games.

Poz is a 4-3 type LB not a 3-4, which is one reason he left as well. I'm a Poz fan and wish he'd stay as well but only for a 4-3 type defense.

Poz has beautiful hair but he is not a starting NFL caliber LB. If he was he may have been on a winning team by now but his career states otherwise. Whitner was obviously the guy in the wrong place and the guy we should have kept. Some people may disagree but winning is the only stat that counts. I think we can all agree that Maybinot pretty much needs a thousand stars to align to make a decent play.

I am going to suggest that perhaps the problem with McKelvin, Maybin, and even Troup, Carrington, Moats and Batten is not so much that they "suck" or bad drafting, but rather, horrid player development due to an inept defensive coaching staff. Player development is an oft-overlooked factor in a franchise's success/failure. In the Bills' case, they seem to be extremely ineffective at developing young defensive players into quality starters; yet those same players often go elsewhere and reach their potential.

McKelvin appears to be a good example of this. He clearly has talent and ambition, but his play has not improved (it's regressed, actually). His problems appear to have more to do with technique and confidence - he doesn't get his hips turned when the ball is in the air, seems to time his jumps poorly, contacts the WR at inopportune times, and is afraid to fight for the ball. Just a hunch I have that a quality DB coach could work with him on these types of things, which seem correctable to me. I suspect McKelvin will be let go (so we can draft another CB in the first round), and will find success elsewhere. It seems to happen a lot. By contrast, you look at a team like the Steelers, and they're able to develop their young players at an astoundingly successful rate. Guys like Woodley, Timmons and Hood looked unpolished when they came into the league, and have blossomed into quality players. Those same players probably would've flamed out had the Bills drafted them.

Good post. I do think that McKelvin's problems preceded the new staff. I remember that in his first season, Belichick planned to run his whole passing game at McKelvin because he thought he wasn't up to it. Granted, he was a rookie, but I'm presuming that Belichick was basing his evaluation on not just the games that McKelvin played in that year, but his college production as well. Belichick was precluded from doing so because of the extreme wind conditions at that game (a 13-0 Pats victory), but it was reported after the game that he was gonna go after him early and often.

Opposing offenses still target him relentlessly, and despite keeping up with guys, he just doesn't make the play. Remember that game against the Vikes last year when he covered Sidney Rice like a blanket yet Rice just went over him and snatched the ball at a high point for a TD? It happens every game now, it seems. That's the book on him. Still, I agree, he needs to be coached up.

Edited by dave mcbride

You forgot to mention the fact that Barnett has two INT's as well, but I agree we should have kept Poz he is younger and would have gotten more years out of him.

Like I have said from the beginning, "Bills Loss". Not the smartest front office we have here by any means. Poz wanted to stay in Buffalo, just like Pat Williams and a few others have.

Everyone thought Maybin sucked, but if you thought Poz sucked, then you weren't watching many Bills games.

I didn't like Maybin but it is obvious now, we were asking two much from the kid. Playing OLB come on. We should have used him like the Packers use Mathews, just rush the QB every time, don't worry about defending anyone. Look at Maybin this year for the Jets, alls he does is rush the QB and he is getting pretty good at putting pressure on him.

I think one of the smartest moves made by Gailey/Nix was letting Poz go. Poz will always be a stat guy but when you watch the games you get a true since of what he brings and how he brings it. Barnett is much more of an impact player. Poz is soft. As much love as the Bills fans showed him it is clear the scheme or the chance to be on a winner influenced him more. We deserve a better talent in order to improve. I wouldn't mind going back to the 4-3. With another draft and free agency season we should be able to improve remarkably.

Edited by VADC Bills

Totally agree...It's hard for me to believe that most of these 11 draft Picks on Defense over the past 2 years simply can't cut it (well...outside of Dareus and Carrington at times)...I think it's just poor Coaching...Whether it is in the area of development, game planning, putting guys into situations they can be successful...whatever...It's REAL poor Coaching and development...There is just no excuse for this Team to be as bad as they are on Defense...No excuse whatsoever...I think what you've seen with Maybin is proof positive of that...Not that Maybin is much of anything...But the Bills Staff got nothing, notta, zip out of Maybin...A #11 Overall Pick...Yet Fatasaurus Rex has found a way to get him on the field where he can be most disruptive...and he's got a play or two out of the kid...It's Coaching Folks...And it's REAL bad... B-)

I think one of the smartest moves made by Gailey/Nix was letting Poz go. Poz will always be a stat guy but when you watch the games you get a true since of what he brings and how he brings it. Barnett is much more of an impact player. Poz is soft. As much love as the Bills fans showed him it is clear the scheme or the chance to be on a winner influenced him more. We deserve a better talent in order to improve. I wouldn't mind going back to the 4-3. With another draft and free agency season we should be able to improve remarkably.

THEY DIDN'T LET HIM GO.

They were desperately trying to resign him, expected to, and were devasted when he left. So, if you're right about Poz as a player, than it is an indictment of OBD for trying so hard to keep him...

Of course, its all George Edwards fault, another reason why he has to go. He is also the reason why the offence can't score the last 2 games, he convinced Shanahan not to suspend Lucic this week, he told Gary Bettman that Hulls foot wasn't in the crease, he's the guy who gave Easley the Heart copondition, he convinced the refs that "Homerun Throgh back" was a backwards lateral, and he caused Norwood to kick wide right! Poz, Maybin, Whitner, McKelvin, Troupe, Carrington, Spiller, Mike Williams, all draft busts because of Edwards being a horrible defensive co-ordinator!

Good point. Of course, given our personnel, there's no way we should be playing a 3-4. That's just stupid, and a classic example of a bad defensive coach forcing a preferred scheme on a team that doesn't have the right personnel. But that's a whole 'nother issue.

So you suggest that once you are a 4-3 team you forever have to stay there. The Bills issue on D runs deeper than 4-3or 3-4. They lack even one shut down corner and the lack of a pass rushing DE or LB is killing them. The Bills drafted for defense 11 out of 19 choices in the Chix era (includes Jasper who arguably should be classified as an O pick). Of the 11 only Dareus is emerging as an impact player. I know it is still early but that rate of success is too low. Add to this the Bills are loathe to sign numerous free agents and it is no shock that the D is a mess. Perhaps given a bit more time more of the 11 will emerge as solid picks. If not, the playoffs will continue to be a distant hope.

Would we be better this yr w POZ? Probably.But not in the long run for the gazillion dollars Jax gave him.

Poz is an average LB. Which is an improvement over what we have now...but not for that kind of dough.