Charley Casserly, CBS Sports on the Bills

Hsp08

This basically sums it up:

Thoughts on Sunday's games:

1. Buffalo -- The Bills were held to 146 yards passing. In talking to defensive coordinators, they felt the way to stop Buffalo's offense was to jam their receivers at the line of scrimmage -- be physical with them, disrupt their timing. This makes Ryan Fitzpatrick hold the ball. The thought is the Bills tackles are not good enough to hold up against good ends on the pass rush. The other point is to do a good job of limiting the receivers' yards after the catch, which people have been able to do. The reason this strategy works is because the Bills don't have exceptional receivers that are hard to press. Buffalo's run defense continues to struggle (163 yards allowed) and their defense can't put pressure on the QB (no sacks). I think people have the formula to beat Buffalo. Buffalo, in my opinion, has peaked and will struggle from here on out.

Here is the link:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/16112140/week-10-thoughts-magic-is-over-for-bills

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course he's right with regard to the last two games. But everybody said the same thing about the Pats after they lost 2 straight; and they destroyed the Jets last night.

Every team in the league (beside the packers) has played really badly at least twice.

This Bills team is not as bad as they looked the last two games.

Edited by RussTheBus

Any one of us here could have written the same thing. While our O isn't great, if we can't stop anyone it will not matter.

Promo, why are you upset at this? It's all true.

PTR only comments on the messenger, no the message. As if Casaserly's inability to win as a GM makes him incapable of voicing a simple/obvious observation.

Of course he's right with regard to the last two games. But everybody said the same thing about the Pats after they lost 2 straight; and they destroyed the Jets last night.

Every team in the league (beside the packers) has played really badly at least twice.

This Bills team is not as bad as they looked the last two games.

Sunday should be interesting, with the Dolphins playing much better and the Bills on a skid.

Any one of us here could have written the same thing. While our O isn't great, if we can't stop anyone it will not matter.

Promo, why are you upset at this? It's all true.

Couple of points he makes regarding the weak OL and lack of variety in WR is something that NOT too many people were saying early in the season when we were winning. Even today, there is little acknowledgement that there are severe limitations on the O side due to these two factors. The fact that we were masking them early on does not mean they did not exist. We just had a novel approach which won us several games till opposing DCs caught on.

1. Buffalo -- The Bills were held to 146 yards passing. In talking to defensive coordinators, they felt the way to stop Buffalo's offense was to jam their receivers at the line of scrimmage -- be physical with them, disrupt their timing. This makes Ryan Fitzpatrick hold the ball. The thought is the Bills tackles are not good enough to hold up against good ends on the pass rush. The other point is to do a good job of limiting the receivers' yards after the catch, which people have been able to do. The reason this strategy works is because the Bills don't have exceptional receivers that are hard to press. Buffalo's run defense continues to struggle (163 yards allowed) and their defense can't put pressure on the QB (no sacks). I think people have the formula to beat Buffalo. Buffalo, in my opinion, has peaked and will struggle from here on out.

Tough to argue with what he says, with one exception. It is possible for the Bills to come back and look Ok. I'm not sure the Bills are a playoff team, but I can see them finishing at .500. That is an improvement over the past few years. Injuries have also hurt the Bills offense. Before I get jumped on for that comment, yes, I know injuries are part of the game. In the case of a team just trying to turn the corner, they do not have the luxury of being deep, especially with the poor drafting of the past 4 years. That comes with time.

That said -- the defense needs alot of work. We do have some talent, but re not in position to make stops. We are out coached. I know we shut out the Deadskins, but they are still trying to score a touchdown since the Bills game so I discount that performance. We need to be put in better schemes to make stops. Edwards needs to go. I don't know if Wannstadt will do any better as I'm not sure how much freedom he has now. I'd give him a shot the rest of this season. Can't get much worse on defense.

Here is the link:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/16112140/week-10-thoughts-magic-is-over-for-bills

Does anyone remember that the Bills used the same exact offense and plays for 6 years and it brought us to four Superbowls in a row? I'm so tired of the false "Well they figured it out and the Bills are completely screwed" montra. Because it's a false premise. The Bills' problem is that they currently are not getting proper coaching, nor are having proper execution on the field.

Three obvious and logical ways to circumvent "the formula."...

1. You need to call roll out plays a few times a game designed to give him more time to hit Stevie, Nelson or CJ down the field.

2. You need to have Fitzpatrick QB draw a few times a game to slow down the pass rush (if the line has no ability to hold).

3. You need to keep Freddie and the tight end in for extra protection (if the line has no ability to hold).

Chan Gailey just is not coaching them correctly. Exactly how does a team's first play of the game be a pass and have no one blocking one of the best rushing ends in NFL history? How does a play with two tandom blockers (Freddie and a lineman) completely whiff and have the defender go right between them to tackle CJ in the backfield?

Don't buy into "the formula" excuse. Coaching and execution is what this team is lacking on offense. I'm thinking that Gailey is just not cut out to be a head coach. As stubborn as Jauron was on the defensive side, Gailey is just as stubborn and unwilling to change. It really irks me that Spiller is not being used at all. He gets what, one chance a game and if he screws that up he's done? "Well, he had his chance! Throw the bum back on the bench!" This team is so dumb, it's stupid.

Edited by 1billsfan

the bills are most effective in passing game when they can bunch up receivers this way the picks etc will help allow separation at line of scrimmage. This team still has holes at WR and front 7 on D I think when Bell or Hairston are at LT and Pears at Rt we do a decent job on the protection. I am not sure OT is a major concern when ya did ok with number 1 and 2 and have struggled with third string LT in.