Charley Casserly, CBS Sports on the Bills

Hsp08

have to admit after watching the last 2 weeks Casserly is on point with his comments.

I want to see Chan adjust, if he can.

Exactly, Chan's been around the block a few times. I do not believe he will lie down and let this happen. Watch out Miami. I think they will get a very focussed Bills team up against the wall Sunday. I do not see Matt Moore doing a Tony Romo impression . Levitre will handle Wake or Taylor. We will throw it against Miami and make some plays. I see a win Sunday, setting up make 0r break take - 2 against the Jets the following Sunday.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad Casserly could never figure out how to build a winner in Houston. Well at least he found other work.

PTR

Yea, but they were an expansion team and he does have 3 Super Bowl rings with the Redskins. His quote sounds pretty darn accurate, unfortuneatly for us.

This basically sums it up:

Thoughts on Sunday's games:

1. Buffalo -- The Bills were held to 146 yards passing. In talking to defensive coordinators, they felt the way to stop Buffalo's offense was to jam their receivers at the line of scrimmage -- be physical with them, disrupt their timing. This makes Ryan Fitzpatrick hold the ball. The thought is the Bills tackles are not good enough to hold up against good ends on the pass rush. The other point is to do a good job of limiting the receivers' yards after the catch, which people have been able to do. The reason this strategy works is because the Bills don't have exceptional receivers that are hard to press. Buffalo's run defense continues to struggle (163 yards allowed) and their defense can't put pressure on the QB (no sacks). I think people have the formula to beat Buffalo. Buffalo, in my opinion, has peaked and will struggle from here on out.

Here is the link:

http://www.cbssports...-over-for-bills

The Bills are a one trick pony in the passing game and teams have figured out how to shut down Fitz as he has no time to throw mid to deep passes.

That O line just keeps getting worse as they suffer more injuries, Wood out now for Miami and perhaps more games.

Any one of us here could have written the same thing. While our O isn't great, if we can't stop anyone it will not matter.

Promo, why are you upset at this? It's all true.

Because Promo hates all media types that don't say the Bills are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Almost like he tried a career in sports media and failed and doesn't like that other people succeed? Like you said, everything Casserly said was true and spot on, but that is what you get with a roster full of "no names."

PTR only comments on the messenger, no the message. As if Casaserly's inability to win as a GM makes him incapable of voicing a simple/obvious observation.

The true response to PTR should be this: Charlie Casserly has worked in the NFL, therefore his opinion is better than PTR's because the latter hasn't been a GM, personnel guy, or otherwise. That's the standard homer way of argument suppression in use on TBD.

Great comment. Maybe now people will start realizing that the Bills really need upgrades at the OT and WR positions. The happy talk about how good the o-line is should disappear now.

You can't do it all in 2 years. They have Barnett and Dareus after two years of rebuilding with Buddy, what more do you want? ;)

I think he has it exactly right. Chan needs to adjust to this and he has failed to do so. Time to mix things up offensively. The Defens? I have no clue where to got with that group. I would sit both Florence and McKelvin. What could possibly happen that's worse than what we've seen? Just replace them with backups and see what happens.

Does anyone remember that the Bills used the same exact offense and plays for 6 years and it brought us to four Superbowls in a row? I'm so tired of the false "Well they figured it out and the Bills are completely screwed" montra. Because it's a false premise. The Bills' problem is that they currently are not getting proper coaching, nor are having proper execution on the field.

Three obvious and logical ways to circumvent "the formula."...

1. You need to call roll out plays a few times a game designed to give him more time to hit Stevie, Nelson or CJ down the field.

2. You need to have Fitzpatrick QB draw a few times a game to slow down the pass rush (if the line has no ability to hold).

3. You need to keep Freddie and the tight end in for extra protection (if the line has no ability to hold).

Chan Gailey just is not coaching them correctly. Exactly how does a team's first play of the game be a pass and have no one blocking one of the best rushing ends in NFL history? How does a play with two tandom blockers (Freddie and a lineman) completely whiff and have the defender go right between them to tackle CJ in the backfield?

Don't buy into "the formula" excuse. Coaching and execution is what this team is lacking on offense. I'm thinking that Gailey is just not cut out to be a head coach. As stubborn as Jauron was on the defensive side, Gailey is just as stubborn and unwilling to change. It really irks me that Spiller is not being used at all. He gets what, one chance a game and if he screws that up he's done? "Well, he had his chance! Throw the bum back on the bench!" This team is so dumb, it's stupid.

So the 90's teams ran the same repetitive offense with greater success because they had better coaching, not because they were stacked with HOFers. Way to put everyone in their place.

Great comment. Maybe now people will start realizing that the Bills really need upgrades at the OT and WR positions. The happy talk about how good the o-line is should disappear now.

The homers will just blame it on all the injuries... never mind the fact that Bell is always injured. The sad fact is that the line has never allowed Fitz the protection like Tom Brady has.

I still think this team will go another draft without obtaining a top tackle as they still need a pass rusher, and that will likely cause the demise of this regime.

The homers will just blame it on all the injuries... never mind the fact that Bell is always injured. The sad fact is that the line has never allowed Fitz the protection like Tom Brady has.

I still think this team will go another draft without obtaining a top tackle as they still need a pass rusher, and that will likely cause the demise of this regime.

In the long run, this regime will be no different then the Jauron, Williams or Mularkey regimes. They will be here 3-4 years, then it will be starting all over again with another coaching staff and front office. Starting to think they do that just so we can stay in our decade plus long run of rebuilding.

So the 90's teams ran the same repetitive offense with greater success because they had better coaching, not because they were stacked with HOFers. Way to put everyone in their place.

I was blowing up the theory that defenses simply have to "figure out" an offense to stop it. It's a false premise. You can't just have a favorite formation like Chan does with the spread. You have to have multiple formations and packages up your sleeve to counter-act defensive tactics.

The Bills obviously aren't there yet with Kelly and that bunch, but they do have a few of the pieces in place.

Just stop the talk of the Bills offense. STOP IT! That defense is not talented, not well coordinated and can't stop anyone. We can win with the offense as we have enough playmakers. But that defense....my god!!!

Yea, those SB rings from when he was GM of the Redskins must suck.

Keep in mind Bobby Bethard was the GM of those SB Redskins teams. Charlie bacame GM in 89 just in time to beat the Bills in the SB but make no mistake Bethard was the builder of those teams. I lived in DC for years and Casserly is no fan favorite there.

With that being said I think Casserly is on point with the assessment of the Bills. Gailey devised a way for the Bills to win with out much talent at the OT positions now he has to build up the OT and WR positions while getting more talent in our pass rush. Other teams have figured the Bills out. It all comes to building up the trenches.

Edited by VADC Bills

I think he has it exactly right. Chan needs to adjust to this and he has failed to do so. Time to mix things up offensively. The Defens? I have no clue where to got with that group. I would sit both Florence and McKelvin. What could possibly happen that's worse than what we've seen? Just replace them with backups and see what happens.

With Zero pressure a combo of Prime Time and Rod Woodson would look like Elvis Patterson.

I was blowing up the theory that defenses simply have to "figure out" an offense to stop it. It's a false premise. You can't just have a favorite formation like Chan does with the spread. You have to have multiple formations and packages up your sleeve to counter-act defensive tactics.

The Bills obviously aren't there yet with Kelly and that bunch, but they do have a few of the pieces in place.

There's no magic formula that stops a team in its tracks but sometimes defenses do find a bit of a kryptonite. Denver clearly did something well in the championship game and I think the Redskins copied some of that in the SB. The offense was never as great from '92 forward but still good obviously (a lot of this was probably Lofton getting older, and departures on the OL).

In the long run it almost always comes down to talent.

IDK if it is as much of a false premise with the current group. The best "pieces in place" you're referring to are Jackson, Wood who is now hurt, Levitre who is currently playing out of position, and a Stevie Johnson who appears to not currently be near 100%. That's better than nothing but it's certainly not enough for any coach to take and make a potent offense either. I haven't joined in the Donald Jones bashing thread because frankly I like the guy but honestly, on how many teams in the league is he a #2 - not many.

I can sum up Casserly's paragraph.

Run. The. Damn. Ball.

You have FJ, Spiller, McIntyre, and Smith. Use them. That's how you beat the "Ryan" defense.

The solution to the last two weeks is right in front of Gailey's eyes.

Unfortunately, Ryan Fitz has issues managing games. Like Casserly's article, the Bills look like they have peaked--Fitz might have peaked as well...

Watching Tom Brady last night, the Pats WR's were all jammed at the line...it wasn't until Brady utlized Gronkowski, a big body TE, who was mismatched up with smaller CB's over 50% of the offensive plays--something which Brady knew would happen and Gronkowski turned in one of his better games for a TE in the 2011 season.

In 2012, this team will look different. This team is on the cusp of becoming a solid group. Sadly, I think we just gave Fitz a starters contract to become a backup in the future.

Going forward, providing this team via free agency and/or draft with a qaulity TE and WR will be a need!

Firing Edwards should also be a priority, Wan'stache' should be given the DC duties.

Depth on OL and DL.

Possibly getting a QB of the future via free agency and/or draft.

Edited by KollegeStudnet

Just stop the talk of the Bills offense. STOP IT! That defense is not talented, not well coordinated and can't stop anyone. We can win with the offense as we have enough playmakers. But that defense....my god!!!

I have to agree that our defense is not very good. Troup has been a non-factor, the loss of Kyle Williams, Kelsay, and the time lost getting Aaron Williams coached up to play corner hasn't helped either. On offense we know the injury bug that has hit our tackles and I was concerned about our depth early on at that position. The loss of Easley I do not think helped very much either. He had the size and speed to be difficult to jam at the line.

We are a d-tackle, pass rusher, and lock down corner away from having a decent defense, but I have to wonder is the Wannestadt/Edwards combo that bad, or are we just that limited on talent on the defensive side. This unit really struggles against mobile QBs and couldn't keep Romo in the pocket and his rollouts nullified any pressure they tried to bring up the middle.

The only good thing to come out of these games is that Carrington gets some valuable experience for rotation purposes, and we now have a better appreciation for what Kelsay brings to our front 4.