Bills are Improved But Not Contenders

vorpma

The Bills have improved and have a good nucleus to buid on; they are not yet a playoff contender.

- The Defense is still poor and a major disappointment; they cannot stop the run nor get pressure on the opposing QB

- Fitz is a great stop gap solution but not the franchise QB needed to go all the way.

- Fred Jacklson is the Buffalo Bill of the decade and current heart and soul of the team, howver, he is thirty plus years.

- CJ Spiller has yet to prove he is worthy of being a first round pick.

- Still need a deep threat.

I we finish above .500 or sneak into the playoffs it will considered success - absolutely - but I see the same results as the Jets game.

SB contenders? No. Playoff contenders? Definitely. There's still a lot of season left to play, but I see the Bills fighting with the Patriots (I see the Jets winning the division) and Steelers (Ravens win the division and both Steelers and Ravens deal Cincy at least 2 losses) for the 2 wildcard spots. The AFC North and West will send just 1 playoff team.

we are not a gimme but when you are in the mix all it takes is a couple good bounces, or a few injuries going to the other guys instead of you and suddenly your in. we are not favorites, but its not impossible from this spot either. whether you call that a contender or not......

The Bills have improved and have a good nucleus to buid on; they are not yet a playoff contender.

- The Defense is still poor and a major disappointment; they cannot stop the run nor get pressure on the opposing QB

- Fitz is a great stop gap solution but not the franchise QB needed to go all the way.

- Fred Jacklson is the Buffalo Bill of the decade and current heart and soul of the team, howver, he is thirty plus years.

I we finish above .500 or sneak into the playoffs it will considered success - absolutely - but I see the same results as the Jets game.

You currently have a total of 20 posts which is at least 1 too many!

Not saying we are not competitive - we sure; as I stated we are a vastly improved team. If we win today against Dallas I will be one happy mofo. But the win does not diminish the fact this team has many holes to fill this off season.

Not saying we are not competitive - we sure; as I stated we are a vastly improved team. If we win today against Dallas I will be one happy mofo. But the win does not diminish the fact this team has many holes to fill this off season.

All your points are completely valid and well thought. However, it is impossible to have a reasonable discussion on this board unless it is about how great the Bills are. Here are some topics that will save you from the Pollys:

-Who needs to draft well when you have a team of 7th rounders and undrafted FA's who are future pro bowlers.

-The Jets and Pats suck becuase...

-Who cares about Nix's train wreck of a first draft because the Bills are 5-3.

-Kelsay doesn't suck as much as people say he does.

-If Merriman didn't get injured he'd have 20 sacks this season.

So either you conform to the Polly mentality or you will be attacked and called negative. Posters like Weo, Rico, KD in CT and Bills Vet (not saying that they are the only ones) usually deal with reality, stick with them.

I disagree with defense, I think the talent is there, much better than the Jets. we just need a real aggresive defensive coordinator to turn this around. Kind of like how Gailey turne dour offense around the past 2 years. Edwards is in above his head.

Not sure what "Playoff contender" means. It would seem to be meaning a team that contends for a playoff spot (being in the chase until the end of the season), whether they get there or not. I think by that definition this is a playoff contender. Not so optimistic that they make it, and this team is still a year or two away from where we expect our peak to be. This is not supposed to be The Year, so being in the hunt and trying to find a way in (the definition of a playoff contender) is a great achievement.

On your actual points backing up your logic:

1) beat a team 23-0 with 10 sacks on the road, picked off Brady 4 times. Not going to be confused with the Ravens, especially after losing Kyle and Merriman, but better than the Pats and some other top teams.

2) What does "needed to go all the way" have to do with being a "playoff contender". I'm not sure if maybe you mean the more specific "Super Bowl Contender", and I might agree with you there, but Fitz is good enough to take us to the playoffs several times during his new contract.

3) What does Fred's age have to do with whether we are a "playoff contender" which just involves how we play over the next 8 games? Also, he is lower mileage than most 30 year olds.

4) Neither has Maybin. Having first round busts or underachievers on your team is never fun, but it doesn't have anything to do with what this team can do for the next 8 games. And Spiller has been playing well, but is just stuck behind Jackson right now and not going to get big reps without an injury (like he did at WR after an injury).

5) Stevie caught a bomb against Revis. Donald Jones is a deep threat as well. Just because we aren't playing the JP to Lee Evans scheme with Chan, I don't think a lack of a deep threat has any impact on what this team can do for the next 8 games.

8 Games to go, two against the Fish, one against the Broncos, one against a Tennessee team that has only beaten the Colts in the last five weeks, on against a Chargers team that is struggling. I don't think one bad game against the Jets crash lands this season.

Go Bills!

- Actually I think we have been decent in stopping the run....which is a huge upgrade over last year. Lack of pressure on the qb is based on 3 factors....a. Merriman didnt pan out b. We lose Williams early and c. We are not s finished product at the outside linebacker position.

- You dont need a deep threat when you dont throw deep often

- I started off the year with a 9-7 preduction....basied on what happens today I will stick with that or move up to 10-6

I disagree with defense, I think the talent is there, much better than the Jets. we just need a real aggresive defensive coordinator to turn this around. Kind of like how Gailey turne dour offense around the past 2 years. Edwards is in above his head.

Still one pass rusher away in my book

I look at what most fans were saying about this years team and then considering the talent on the current team that they would be happy with a winning record at 8-8.

They came out and did very well at the start of the year so everyone's expectations went sky high. The reality is the Bills were a mediocre team under Jauron, with some good but not great players....one pro bowler!

The current Bills are still a mediocre team because this new regime wanted to configure the team the way they wanted for a 3-4 defense and didn't have, and still don't have all the pieces to make it work like the Steelers or Packers.

So yea, be happy to know that this team is still rebuilding and improving. Levy and Polian didn't get it done in one year either. What kinda worries me is the only really good draft pick the bills have found over the last two drafts fell into their lap

- Actually I think we have been decent in stopping the run....which is a huge upgrade over last year. Lack of pressure on the qb is based on 3 factors....a. Merriman didnt pan out b. We lose Williams early and c. We are not s finished product at the outside linebacker position.

- You dont need a deep threat when you dont throw deep often

- I started off the year with a 9-7 preduction....basied on what happens today I will stick with that or move up to 10-6

or

You don't throw deep often when you don't have a deep threat.