Whitner Speaks on PFT

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You read the article? :unsure:

Why?

I watched the video. He mentioned an example of not wanting to win was when we cut Langston Walker and signed T.O. to a one year deal. You really think signing TO for one year was about making this a better football team?

I watched the video. He mentioned an example of not wanting to win was when we cut Langston Walker and signed T.O. to a one year deal. You really think signing TO for one year was about making this a better football team?

No, but cutting Langston Walker might have been.

That was more of a marketing decision...IMO. They needed to fill some seats at the Ralph, and if I'm not mistaken, ticket sales jumped the day following the TO signing.

The TO signing was primarily to make the team better, with the added benefit of marketing. It's not like he was unproductive in Dallas before the Bills signed him.

And the 49'ers haven't even been as good as the Bills for most of the previous decade. They've had a completely surprising season this year though, which is good for them.

I think Whitner makes some valid comments...particularly when he mentions "putting guys in the right place to be successful". Particualarly under Jauron, but a bit on defense still, under Gailey, it gets frustrating to think that the Bills are committed more to a scheme, than they are to using the talents of their players to the fullest. I will give the current regime a little more leadway, because they have at least attempted to address their inadequcies in running the scheme they seem committed to, as their base defense. Under Jauron, the defense never really improved, and always looked out of place, and mismatched.

Edited by Buftex

Donte is right about TO, its was a Sell ticket move, no doubt about it....and it worked plus they did get plenty of production from him.

George Wilson is better than Donte so it was a good move for both teams.

Not buying the Bills did not want to win. We just didn't draft well while he was here overall.

I think Whitner makes some valid comments...particularly when he mentions "putting guys in the right place to be successful". Particualarly under Jauron, but a bit on defense still, under Gailey, it gets frustrating to think that the Bills are committed more to a scheme, than they are to using the talents of their players to the fullest. I will give the current regime a little more leadway, because they have at least attempted to address their inadequcies in running the scheme they seem committed to, as their base defense. Under Jauron, the defense never really improved, and always looked out of place, and mismatched.

Haven't viewed the video link yet but I did hear Donte in a local radio interview two weeks ago.

He did say that he felt he was misused in the Jauron defense… he actually said he's a bit small to play as an in-the-box safety, kind of a startling admission for any football player.

The comment came off as matter-of-fact and not bitterness and I think there is truth to his comment.

How many times did we see Whitner or Poz vainly trying to make plays they seemed ill-suited to make?

Not saying he's a great player or anything but when you look at the play of Whitner, Poz, and Maybin under Jauron and how they're being used now I don't think you can argue Donte's point too much.

Haven't viewed the video link yet but I did hear Donte in a local radio interview two weeks ago.

He did say that he felt he was misused in the Jauron defense… he actually said he's a bit small to play as an in-the-box safety, kind of a startling admission for any football player.

The comment came off as matter-of-fact and not bitterness and I think there is truth to his comment.

How many times did we see Whitner or Poz vainly trying to make plays they seemed ill-suited to make?

Not saying he's a great player or anything but when you look at the play of Whitner, Poz, and Maybin under Jauron and how they're being used now I don't think you can argue Donte's point too much.

I agree. It is something that has been annoying me for years now. I just find it hard to believe that nearly every player on the Bills defense over the last 5 years or so has looked like they don't belong on an NFL roster as a starter of any quality. I always hated the defense that they ran under Jauron...ironic, perhaps, they played some of their best, as a unit, when Jauron was gone. They always seemed to be playing catch-up, letting the opposing offense, no matter how mediocre, dictate everyhing. I see glimmers of improvement in that area under Gailey, but we are still a ways off. It seems, often, our best players end up emerging when the guy in front of them gets injured.

I think the TO signing helped with the developement of Steve Johnson honestly. Last year was Stevie's breakout year and I don't think it was coincidental that he was up under Owens' wing the season before.

So you are saying that us missing Whitner has cost us two games? Personally I don't think it is quite that simple but the number is probably pretty accurate.

No. I am saying it's faulty logic to say this, therefore that.

Wilson and Byrd are better, in my opinion, but regardless it's not logical to say his presence in SF made them 7-1. If anything, with all of Wilson's INTs, and good tackling (like Whitner), it's helped us.