Whitner Speaks on PFT

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barely. Last year was a wash as it was first year of the rebuild, that was obvious. Every comment he made referred back to the previous regime. Thats all he really knew.

But then he moves to the first year of a rebuild in SF that just happens to be going fairly well? Or maybe it's the commitment to winning against the "titans" of the NFC West like the 2-6 Cardinals, 2-6 Seahawks, and 1-7 Rams that's so alluring.

Donte is a joke with a lousy punchline.

But then he moves to the first year of a rebuild in SF that just happens to be going fairly well? Or maybe it's the commitment to winning against the "titans" of the NFC West like the 2-6 Cardinals, 2-6 Seahawks, and 1-7 Rams that's so alluring.

Donte is a joke with a lousy punchline.

Not sure what youre arguing here, but I agree with your last part. My point was that he does not offer any insight to the current team, only to the past, which we are all too familiar with.

I dont think hes incorrect in his brief statement regarding the 2009 season. The culture that Jauron and Co. built was just pathetic.

Not sure what youre arguing here, but I agree with your last part. My point was that he does not offer any insight to the current team, only to the past, which we are all too familiar with.

I dont think hes incorrect in his brief statement regarding the 2009 season. The culture that Jauron and Co. built was just pathetic.

That's fine. Is either PFT's or Whitner's motive here to suggest that the 2009 Bills were a clusterf---? Because that strikes me as old news.

It sounds to me like this is pointless bashing of the Bills (now and then) or Donte not letting go of some perceived slights here, when the fact is he was paid well, did OK, and was nothing special for a #8 pick. He is being outperformed by his successor, he gets to play in the NFC Creampuff division, and his screwups apparently aren't holding the team back from taking down those world-beaters. And he get$ real paid. Good for him.

The past was a mess, but I think if Donte is intimating anything about the current team, it's more likely some disdain for the fact that smarter football men didn't view him as an integral, highly-paid part of their future.

That's fine. Is either PFT's or Whitner's motive here to suggest that the 2009 Bills were a clusterf---? Because that strikes me as old news.

It sounds to me like this is pointless bashing of the Bills (now and then) or Donte not letting go of some perceived slights here, when the fact is he was paid well, did OK, and was nothing special for a #8 pick. He is being outperformed by his successor, he gets to play in the NFC Creampuff division, and his screwups apparently aren't holding the team back from taking down those world-beaters. And he get$ real paid. Good for him.

The past was a mess, but I think if Donte is intimating anything about the current team, it's more likely some disdain for the fact that smarter football men didn't view him as an integral, highly-paid part of their future.

yeah, i agree with all that. this entire "piece" is one big "So What?". it's very Sully-esque.

Donte thought Troupe was better than Suh. He guaranteed playoffs. He basically proved himself to be an idiot.

Here is my take:

Whitner was an active, but no better than average strong safety who was drafted with a superstar pick to be the Bills version of Bob Sanders or Troy Polomalu. By 2009 he was reduced to utility status by the staff that drafted him. George Edwards was dumb enough to give him his starting job back, otherwise Donte would have been playing for league minimum somewhere.

So you are saying that us missing Whitner has cost us two games? Personally I don't think it is quite that simple but the number is probably pretty accurate.

Nor is it that simple that the 49'ers are 7-1 because of Donte Whitner.

You don't think that Jim Harbaugh has had anything to do with the 49'ers success?

Nor is it that simple that the 49'ers are 7-1 because of Donte Whitner.

You don't think that Jim Harbaugh has had anything to do with the 49'ers success?

And one of Harbaugh's first moves was making sure Whitner came to SF. Clearly Harbaugh put a premium on getting Whitner and clearly it has produced results. We are left with guys that are pretty good and we are doing some winning, just not the type of lofty record that guys like Whitner enable.