Lindell busted up; Rayner signed

Now there's a refreshing blast from the past. Does anyone else remember the chants of "half-foot, half-foot, half-foot, hhhhhhaaaaaalllllllffffff foot!" as Dempsey approached the ball on kickoffs? I swear half the stadium would chant that in unison. Talk about a tough crowd.

I remember the opener against Miami in '79. Typical crap performance by the Bills offense but somehow we had a chance to win it with a FG on the last play of the game and FINALLY beat Miami after going 0 for the 70s to that point. Not a long FG if I remember correctly. I remember this guy behind us threatening to kick Demsey's ass if he missed. Sure enough, Dempsey shanks it and this dude literally runs down the aisle and jumps onto the field. Always wondered what happened to the guy.

GO BILLS!!!

He probably went to jail, or atleast had to appear in court on tresspassing charges. He may have also received a ban from the stadium too :nana:

Edited by apuszczalowski

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not get why teams always bring a bunch of kickers in for what is basically a "kick competition" when looking to sign a kicker. Rayner is the youngest of the high profile kickers out there and has a heck of a leg but has been terribly inconsistent. Wouldn't career body of work be a better predictor of success than a two hour kicking competition? For example, they also had Shayne Graham in. Check out the career stats:

Rayner:

73.3% FG Percentage

98.5% XP Percentage

Graham:

86% FG Percentage

98.45 XP Percentage

Graham kicked very well for New England last year in conditions similar to ours. Rayner kciked sparingly in a Dome in Detroit and had one kickoff for the Raiders this year. Unless Graham has totally lost his leg strength, which isn't likely for a kicker only 33 years old, I don't get the move.

I wonder if Rayner has better numbers for the stadiums he's most likely to do any kicking in during this period of time.

That would seem to be a very small sample size to go off for a kicker. Lookng at our next three games (all on the road) and the last three years for each kicker, here are the stats for each:

Rayner:

@Dallas in 2010 1-1

@Miami in 2010 2-2

Graham:

@Dallas 2008 3-3

That would seem to be a very small sample size to go off for a kicker. Lookng at our next three games (all on the road) and the last three years for each kicker, here are the stats for each:

Rayner:

@Dallas in 2010 1-1

@Miami in 2010 2-2

Graham:

@Dallas 2008 3-3

Agreed. It is a small sample size. However, out of the three guys they brought in, he's the only one that's kicked in the new Dallas stadium, and the only one who's kicked in Miami recently.

Who has the better kickoff leg? let us not forget how good the red zone offense has been this year. Extra points and kickoffs have been far more plentiful than long field goals..maybe that was the kicker terrible pun intended

Who has the better kickoff leg? let us not forget how good the red zone offense has been this year. Extra points and kickoffs have been far more plentiful than long field goals..maybe that was the kicker terrible pun intended

I would say Rayner has the better leg on kickoffs but the stats are not that far off. Also, Buffalo rarely tries to drill it through the endzone instead opting for the high directional kick.

Rayner:

Career: 18 touchbacks in 241 kicks for 7.47%

2010 in 8 games with Detroit: 2 touchbacks on 34 kicks for 5.88%

2006 last full season with Green Bay: 11/72 for 15.27%

Graham:

Career: 48 touchbacks in 629 kicks for 7.63%

2010 in 8 games with New England: 2 touchbacks on 57 kicks for 3.51%

2009 last full season: 8/69 for 11.59%

I am really not on a Shayne Graham crusade but more just making a point about these random kicker workouts instead of looking at a body of work around the league. I do, however, have a feeling we will all be missing Lindell.

Edited by FutureBillsGM